Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2013

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat is a unique, hand crafted brewed hybrid of Belgian wheat beer and sweet cider, with natural Honeycrisp flavor added to produce an innovative new brew that is crisp, refreshing and flavorful. This unfiltered brew is the perfect beer to welcome the warming Spring days.
3.37/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A- Pours slightly hazy golden yellow color with a 3-finger fizzy white head that reduces to a small layer skimming the top, leaving no lacing

S- Smells like a straight cider, lots of tart apples with some sweet honey, maybe a touch of cinnamon

T-Very light flavor up front, sweet cider kicks in mid-palate with some tart apples flavors near the finish. The wheat flavor is light, but somewhat noticeable on the finish.

M- light bodied with moderate carbonation, slightly fizzy mouthfeel with a crisp finish

O- this beer serves a purpose, and would be refreshing for spring or summer days. Definitely drinks more like a cider as the wheat aspect is overpowered by the sweetness of the apple

4.22/5  rDev +36.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

This is the second "Shock Top" Beer I have tried,the First was their "Belgian White" and I enjoyed it quite a Bit,yes perhaps it was a bit over the top with a very strong Orange Flavor..but I like Fruit Beers a LOT..and "Shock Top Honey Crisp Apple Wheat" Goes even further with a very pronouced, strong Honey Crisp Apple Aroma and Flavor..and WOW! I REALLY Dig this Brew..Actually it is More of a Cider/Wheat Beer Hybrid Mix,and I think they did a GR8 Job as far as balancing the two,you get that awesome Cider sweet/Tartness and a nice mellow wheat beer body that seems to smooth out the Beer as a whole,a lot of times as good as some Ciders can taste,they just have this overkill of sticky sweet notes that become a bit too forward and take away the Crisp Finish and because of that ,they can be less then stellar for Quaffing on a Hot day,just too damn Sweet to be totally Refreshing~
I Think the Brewers @ Shock Top Realize that fact,and quite Honestly did a fantastic job with this Beer,Though you better really love Honey Crisp Apples,because thats what this beer smells like,and thats what this beer taste like,Apples,Apples Apples man! "Honey Crisp Apples" to be precise,and I myself Love em;)
the Beer pours out a very nice golden color and right away you are hit with such a strong Honey Crisp Apple Aroma,that it floors you,and it's tough not to just chug this Beer down and pop another one right away..because it just smells and taste so damn good,and Actually you really want to drink this Beer ICE COLD,Because when it warms you start to get that Cider sweetness creeping in,there is no doubt that this is a Quaffing Beer,I was Lucky enough to get this Beer Very Fresh,and WOW! when you drink these babies Ice cold,they really slide right down!
For those people who Enjoy "Fruit Beers" and have a bit of an Open Mind,do yourself a favor and check out this Beer,it is 'Seasonal" so you cannot get it year round,the more Traditional Beer Drinker may have a tough time with such a Fruit Forward Beer of this type,and may want to steer clear of this one,and probably All "Shock Top" Fruit Beers because they are VERY Fruit Forward,and probably way too over the top for a lot of people,but I Like that,and I LOVE this Beer~Cheers and Peace2All:)

4.82/5  rDev +56%

I am drinking this beer right now as I'm writing this review and even though I'm still a novice when it comes to beer, I can say this is easily my favorite beer. Very smooth, easily drinkable and great taste. Not bitter at all. It's definitely something I'll have to buy more often.

3.75/5  rDev +21.4%

1.75/5  rDev -43.4%

Up front the smell was okay, not so bad. Mouth feel was what you would expect from a cider of this type; a bit dry, nothing special. Now the taste: Okay, either I just got a bad bottle, or this clearly just isn't my thing, but this was awful; I couldn't even get half the bottle down. Would not try again.

1.75/5  rDev -43.4%

4.25/5  rDev +37.5%

3.8/5  rDev +23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

3/26/13

Shock Top's Honeycrisp Apple Wheat: 5.2%, half cider/half beer; Appearance: very hazy peach; Smell: pretty strong honeycrisp apple; Taste/Mouthfeel: good amount of honeycrisp apple, crisp, slight apple skin; pretty good.

Poured into a pint glass.

1.21/5  rDev -60.8%

Got this as part of a sampler pack with Shock Top's Lemon shandy and Belgian white.

No comment on appearance since I did not really note the color when I had this (late review). In terms of smell the only thing I can think of to describe it is jolly rancher green apple. Overly sweet, artificial, and overpowering. Smelling it is almost like doing a rail of "apple" flavored sugar cocaine. No hint of beer at all. More of a juice than anything. If you made me smell this and didn't tell me what it was I would think It was some new sugary kids drink. The taste is just as overpoweringly sweet. Think candy juice spiked with sugary. I will try and finish just about everything and I like my sweets just as much as the kid down the street, but to me this is just too much. Almost didn't finish this. Have a few more bottles laying around that I unfortunaly may pour down the drain.

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat from Anheuser-Busch