Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2013

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat is a unique, hand crafted brewed hybrid of Belgian wheat beer and sweet cider, with natural Honeycrisp flavor added to produce an innovative new brew that is crisp, refreshing and flavorful. This unfiltered brew is the perfect beer to welcome the warming Spring days.
Ratings: 767 | Reviews: 139
4.5/5  rDev +45.6%

Now granted, this is pretty good out of a bottle, but on tap it is phenomenal.

Honeycrisp apples are my favorite, and this tastes exactly like them. A light wheat beer mixed with juice from these apples. Absolutely delicious.

Would seek out and purchase again.

4.09/5  rDev +32.4%

Sweet and refreshing. Cider-like goodness for the hot summer.

3.81/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into a lager glass.

A - Cloudy peach gold. Two inch head that lingers. Spotty lacing.

S - Delightful green apple and honey.

T - Wheat and malt are there. But the green apple and honey overshadow and compliment them perfectly.

M - Medium.

O - This stuff is fantastic! Only minor problem I have is that it should be labeled a shandy. Cheers!

3.66/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

After being pleasantly surprised by Shock Top Belgian White, I had to ruffle through my fridge in order to find the other Shock Top offering I obtained from one of Wal-Mart's make-your-own-six-pack stands. God bless those stations, seriously...

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat is definitely going to be a go-to offering for a simultaneously sweet and tart offering without having to tolerate a frothy cider or the backlash of alcohol and artificiality from one of the Bud Light Lime Ritas. It's tart, but not overly-tart, inviting, and tangy enough that it actually makes a solid attempt to combat Anheuser-Busch's dreaded over-carbonation of this line (or at least the two I've experienced).

Appearance - a hazy orange/yellow. Simple, yeah, but provides us with more of a promising visual than other offerings.

Smell - Smells of honeysuckle and strong sour green apple. Looking good so far, smelling even better.

Taste - Tart, carbonated, and of sour green apples, as expected. Goes down nice and easy, but unexpectedly satisfying and fulfilling.

Mouthfeel - Foams very quickly, on the count of the carbonation, but very easy to savor and let simmer in your mouth thanks to its great flavor.

Overall - I am stunned by how much I'm enjoying this line of beer. For once, this doesn't seem to be a basic marketing ploy but a genuine attempt at creating a solid beer with flavor, good consistency, and surprise. Sucked this one down in less than five minutes and wish I had another.

3.15/5  rDev +1.9%

From a one pint can, no date found.

Smells of apples, honeysuckle. Pours hazy orange yellow with super thick white foamy head. Good head retention. Taste is almost pure apple cider, overly sweet. No discernible malt or hops in it! Funky flavored. Think I would prefer regular hard cider or a malternative to this!

2.32/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass, nice full head. Developed, white, with good retention and lacing. Appearance was a slightly hazy, golden, honey color. Aroma was of Apple flavored gum with come mild malt notes. Tasted very sweet and gummy, like candy apple. Mouthfeel was syrupy with a very sweet aftertaste. Comes in a nice looking can.

2.83/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Shock top Honey-crisp apple wheat 6Pk bottles $7.99(OH)

12 oz brown bottle poured into a stemless white wine glass. No freshness date. just some bottling codes on the top neck label.

Pours a slightly hazy golden color. A two finger bright white head that don't last long, gives way to minimal lacing.

The aroma is a sweet sour apple smell, followed by some wheat bread smells. Towards the end i can smell some adjuncts. It don't smell corny or ricey. Kind of like pectin, an artificial flavoring used in many products today.

The taste is better than the smell. At first a crisp clean slap of sour apples followed by a slight wheat taste. Any adjuncts are well hidden in the taste, although a pectin taste remains. basically a fake apple taste.

mouth feel is actually good. Crisp, clean and not over carbonated. Reminds me of a "hard" cider, with a wheat twist. Low ABV like most ciders, and very session-able if you like sour apples. (EDIT) I could only drink three of these things. The pectin taste gets really bad after about two or three.

Overall i don't know what to say here. It's not a wheat beer more of a fake apple cider, with a touch of wheat. It's not bad, but it's far from good. I picked this up as a last minute 1 Am purchase. (in OH alcohol sales stop at 1am). It is what I expected from shock top, not real good but simply

3.6/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Apperance - Nice crisp apperance, golden brown.
Smell - Apples and wheat Crisp smell.
Taste - I would say have to be one of the best cider beers (or the best i have tasted)
mouthfeel - crisp finish, not too sweet, tones of "beer" and not cider..so it's not overwhelming.
overall - for occasion, it's good.

3.74/5  rDev +21%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The color is a cloudy golden and amber mix and has a fetching quality but the head poured with too much quickly dying fizz.

The aroma is tempered in its sweetness and showcases a green Apple and wheat nose. At first I could smell it from a mile away but as it breathed the aroma became quite nice.

Preying on my weakness for Green Apple Jolly Ranchers this delivers a sweet but not cloying green Apple flavor.The wheat seems to be kept in check but may keep the overt sweetness at bay.

The feel is relatively slick, like a candy, with an easy feel and a superb lightness.

My opinion of this may be eschew because I'm partial to the flavor and I'm sure it's an additive and not natural flavors but be that as it may I still really like it.

4.4/5  rDev +42.4%

I don't know what everyone else was drinking that say shock top honeycrisp apple wheat is to sweet. It don't taste anything like woodchuck either. You take REDS apple ale and that stuff is like syrup not even a hint of a beer. Then you wrap your hand around this shock top and you smell the GREEN APPLE smell that reminds you of a green jolly rancher. then when you drink it , you get a cold crisp non bitter taste in your mouth with a nice suttle back taste of that green apple yet the beer taste still comes all the way through. It's perfection compared to any other apple beer I've ever tasted. As a Marine I've traveled the world and had more than my share so I think I'm pretty good judge. Sorry boys gotta call it like I experience it and I don't understand any of the other reviews on this beer they are WAY off.

2.38/5  rDev -23%

Not the biggest fan of hard ciders or fruity beers

Appearance, nice very light gold color in the glass. 1/2" head

Aroma, pretty strong with apples and a slight hint at the Belgium yeast brewed within.

Taste, not so good here, almost like candy apple straight through. There was a bit of the Belgium but it was SO buried beneath the obscene amount of candy apple flavor that I didn't find much more flavor to this beer.

Overall, I would recommend this to women who like sweeter drinks and to anyone who wants to start trying beer as an introduction into this. But that would be it.

3.17/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a very lightly hazy pale golden yellow in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass and some faint straw yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall fizzy white head that reduces fairly quickly to a small to medium sized patch of very thin film and a very thin ring at the edges of the glass. Very light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of really sweet cider (similar to original Woodchuck if memory serves me correctly - though it has been like a decade since I've had it) with a faint hint of wheat.

T: Upfront there is a really sweet flavor of cider (akin to a Woodchuck original) that is followed by very light flavors of wheat. There is also a lingering flavor of slightly pasty Belgian yeast. Minimal amounts of sweetness or bitterness in the finish.

M: Slightly heavier than light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: Easy enough to drink with well hidden alcohol but there is something about the combination of flavors that just does not quite mixed correctly in my opinion - shockingly sweet cider with a slightly pasty Belgian yeast + wheat flavor.

3.54/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Went to refill Keg... and always looking for something different.
Last one from the winter orders.

Not sure what I was getting into, but I've had Shock top Before and liked it, so Why not apple.

Vary Apple, with a hint of beer.

Closer to a cider than a beer. Realize now why they asked me if I was sure at the Bud distributer.

I liked it. Not sure how I will feel at the end of the keg... But for now a fun change to share with friends.

If your looking for a beer this is a novelty that's okay for a taste... If you like ciders this is OKAY... but if you are like me and like a little bit of everything, this will bridge the gap.

Plumbing tip of the Day. "If your water heater ruptures, smile... you now have a swimming pool for a basement." (pumped 3000 gallons of water out of a basement today.)

3.95/5  rDev +27.8%

A-Hazy gold color with a large white head that faded quickly and left a small lace
S-like a granny smith apple
T-smells like a sweet red apple with a honey aftertaste that hasa wheat background
M-light body and medium carbonation
O-it smell like a granny smith apple, then taste like a sweet red apple that end up leaving a honey aftertaste

3.2/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A: The beer is slightly hazy yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high off white head that died down, leaving a bit of lacing on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of apple Jolly Rancher candy are present in the nose.
T: Much like the smell, the taste has flavors similar to an apple Jolly Rancher, except that there is a bit of wheat flavors.
M: It feels a bit more than light-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink but tastes more like a candy than a Belgian-inspired wheat beer.

3.3/5  rDev +6.8%

My heart goes pitty-pat when I see new CANs to further The CANQuest (TM) and I was kind of excited to see CANs of this during my Saturday day trip to Brooklyn and Manhattan. I am like a neo-hippie for CANs in that I will try anything once!

From the CAN: "Belgian-style wheat ale brewed with cider and spices with natural Honeycrisp apple flavor and other natural flavor." Well, they have not changed their tune much in nine months, but no longer is agitation required.

The Crack was not as loud as with some CANs, but neither was it brimful, which may be a CANtributor. An inverted Glug produced two fingers of dense, tawny head with good retention. Color was a downright cloudy orangish-amber (SRM = 7) and no agitation had been necessary. The nose was rich with sweet apples and I have to agree with a previous reviewer that it seemed to have a LOT in common with cider. The mouthfeel was very thin with only a mild effervescence being discernible. I was reminded of the hard cider that my maternal grandparents would produce with freshly pressed apples from their upper lot. I was also curious about the spices since they too were indiscernible. Perhaps I drank one too many Pumpkin Ales this year, but I was not getting much in the way of spice from this. Finish was sweet, downright sweet and really more than I wanted. I am going to second this as a potential alternative to a hard cider, but with so many hard ciders hitting the market now, I would have to wonder why bother?

My original, bottle review, dtd 03-05-2013 follows:

Once more, my neighbors had an oddball sixer on the shelf and I decided to split it between my uncle and a colleague. I will try anything once.

From the bottle: "Belgian-style wheat ale brewed with cider and spices with natural Honeycrisp apple flavor and other natural flavor."; "To serve, pour down the side of the glass until 1/2 inch is left in the bottle. Swirl the remaining brew and pour to produce a rich, thick collar of foam. Enjoy!"

As a previous reviewer noted, despite heavy agitation and an aggro pour, I still only developed a pinky finger of eggshell-white head. Color was a cloudy orangish-yellow. Nose smelled of apple cider, so points for truth in advertising. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full and it had a very apple cider flavor in the mouth. The spices lent it an apple pie quality, and it was actually pretty good. Finish was semi-sweet with the spices keeping it from being an outright sugar bomb. This one and the other of my share will be just about the right amount for this hophead. It was a novelty and I do not regret my purchase, but two is enough.

2.75/5  rDev -11%

I wasn't expecting such a sweet taste. It reminds me of Redd's. As for the smell I thought it smelled pretty good for an apple beer. The mouth feel is the best rating a gave. It feels so nice and smooth: moderate carbonation.

Overall: I have had worse.

2.23/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Poured from bottle into a cup. Didn't expect to like it. Appearance is a brownish yellow with a surprisingly thick head. Smell was unappealing. Taste was too artificial. Strong apple, little wheat. Mouthfeel was the best quality of this beer. Overall: drank half and got a stomach ache.

3.23/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This beer looks from the get-go like cider, clear dark yellow, though it does produce something of a head. It's not large or long-lasting, but it keeps up a wisp that leaves very, very little lacing on the glass.
Apples are forward, and there is a little wheat to it underneath. There's just a light touch of spicing, cinnamon expressly. The apple is, while a bit sweet, more focused on tart, so there's no question this beer is advertised. Malts bring a slightly musty hint of earth. Green apple skin as well as flesh are strong. Underneath, there's just barely a hint of some hops bitterness evening it out and doing what it can to make it known it's not just "alcopop."
The feel is about right for this beer. It's light, it's crisp and it feels as much like a hard cider as it smells and tastes. It has a nice, crisp bite without being too terribly spritzy, though it starts off leaning that way. A little slickness comes through in the middle but fortunately cuts out.

1.26/5  rDev -59.2%

Bottom Line: This was a complete drain pour. This was actually worse than most BMC light beers, which are at least unnoticeable. This, on the other hand, was hard to stomach.

This was disgustingly, cloyingly sweet in both taste and smell. The mouthfeel was probably okay, and there was a slight slight head on the pour.

Obviously it tasted like apple, but less like good cider, and more like overly floral, cheap apple wine that had been carbonated. Reminded me of Applejacks cereal, but in a bad way - this was bad Applejacks infused BMC Light Lager

3.08/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A new truck stop in my small town has brought holiday tidings of an increased selection of alcoholic beverages. Considering a widely distributed variety of Shock Top to be a new product in a town less than an hour away from the company headquarters should tell you where I'm at with the selection. Poured from an 16oz can perfectly into a 16oz Shock Top glass (because I happen to have one) with no room to spare in the glass and no beer left over in the can. The exactness of the liquid's displacing prowess is absolutely stunning; not a drop out of line. Anheuser is a big company, and mass produced beer is it's schtick, so you bet your ass they have a killer quality control department.

A: The beer poured right up to the lip of the glass, which under normal circumstances would have caused me to slow my roll whilst pouring, but the head quickly dissipated, leaving a smooth surface the exact same color as the base. The color itself is a little more orangey than the standard Shock Top. The head being not entirely unlike ninja smoke is what hurts the appearance score here; one quick white flash of fluff and it's gone. The appearance, along with the smell, taste, and mouthfeel, are trying to bullshit you into believing that this is a cider. Don't fall for such treachery, dear drinker.

S: Well, fuck me, maybe this is a cider! No, no, get your head in the game, man. Instant apple twang crowds the olfactory attempting to mask any faults of the brew. Even the ever-so slight cinnamon kiss overpowers the hop aroma. Nothing in the smell of this beer is wheat-like at all. Having said all that, the smell does foreshadow a taste that will invite those who don't naturally go for better beer into the hallowed house of finely crafted brews.

T: Cider again! Very little beer-like qualities remain in this beer. The appleiness has revealed its final form, and it tastes like the skins rather than the fruit. Seriously, there's a dryness here not too far from a chardonnay in it's tannins. Overall, it's not entirely undesirable, but what is a honeycrisp apple wheat supposed to taste like? Honey? Check. Crisp? Check. Apple? Check? Wheat? Well... maybe not.

M: Light on the tip of the tongue, fruity on the back of it. More carbonation than I'd like to see in a wheat beer. Again, and this is probably the second to last time I'll bring this up, this could be cider and I wouldn't get in a fist fight over it.

O: Just drink cider, ya dummy.

3.11/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Pours a pale golden color with a bubbly white head that quickly dissipated.
Smells of ,surprise, cider and honeycrisp apples with a hint of cinnamon.
Tastes like a straight up harf cider at first but there is some grain in the aftertaste.
Feels light with lots of carbonation.
Wouldn't really purchase again, but the apple flavor was nice.

2.7/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

As someone else said to describe this it taste just like green jolly rancher.. For me it would be hard to stomach more than one of these. It is for an aquired taste... poured slightly clear for a wheat. It is definitly a shock on the palate with a sour taste. Dont really get the honey taste. little fizzy head. try it its either a love it or hate it. Mayne ok if paired with the right meal.

3.52/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Wifey brought this home for me.

Really hazy deep gold with a nice heathy white hat that "stuck around" for quite a bit. Rampant carbonation.

Strong whiffs of green apple and wheat..yeast? The apple is literally tart on my nose.

Taste is more green apple sweet tartness, with a drying slightly warming finish. Surprisingly sticky mouthfeel with diminishing carbonation.

Not bad considering I'm not usually a big fan of "apple" in a beer.

2.16/5  rDev -30.1%

Pours a clouldy yellow color with a small white head that fades to nothing quickly. No lacing. Smell is strong with apple and nothing else. Taste was much the same as smell like sour apples. Not bad if you want a light hard cider but I wouldn't classify it as a beer.

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat from Anheuser-Busch