Join our email list →

Missouri, United States | website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer | 5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2013

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat is a unique, hand crafted brewed hybrid of Belgian wheat beer and sweet cider, with natural Honeycrisp flavor added to produce an innovative new brew that is crisp, refreshing and flavorful. This unfiltered brew is the perfect beer to welcome the warming Spring days.
3.54/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Went to refill Keg... and always looking for something different.
Last one from the winter orders.

Not sure what I was getting into, but I've had Shock top Before and liked it, so Why not apple.

Vary Apple, with a hint of beer.

Closer to a cider than a beer. Realize now why they asked me if I was sure at the Bud distributer.

I liked it. Not sure how I will feel at the end of the keg... But for now a fun change to share with friends.

If your looking for a beer this is a novelty that's okay for a taste... If you like ciders this is OKAY... but if you are like me and like a little bit of everything, this will bridge the gap.

Plumbing tip of the Day. "If your water heater ruptures, smile... you now have a swimming pool for a basement." (pumped 3000 gallons of water out of a basement today.)

3.95/5  rDev +24.2%

A-Hazy gold color with a large white head that faded quickly and left a small lace
S-like a granny smith apple
T-smells like a sweet red apple with a honey aftertaste that hasa wheat background
M-light body and medium carbonation
O-it smell like a granny smith apple, then taste like a sweet red apple that end up leaving a honey aftertaste

3.2/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A: The beer is slightly hazy yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high off white head that died down, leaving a bit of lacing on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of apple Jolly Rancher candy are present in the nose.
T: Much like the smell, the taste has flavors similar to an apple Jolly Rancher, except that there is a bit of wheat flavors.
M: It feels a bit more than light-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink but tastes more like a candy than a Belgian-inspired wheat beer.

3.3/5  rDev +3.8%

My heart goes pitty-pat when I see new CANs to further The CANQuest (TM) and I was kind of excited to see CANs of this during my Saturday day trip to Brooklyn and Manhattan. I am like a neo-hippie for CANs in that I will try anything once!

From the CAN: "Belgian-style wheat ale brewed with cider and spices with natural Honeycrisp apple flavor and other natural flavor." Well, they have not changed their tune much in nine months, but no longer is agitation required.

The Crack was not as loud as with some CANs, but neither was it brimful, which may be a CANtributor. An inverted Glug produced two fingers of dense, tawny head with good retention. Color was a downright cloudy orangish-amber (SRM = 7) and no agitation had been necessary. The nose was rich with sweet apples and I have to agree with a previous reviewer that it seemed to have a LOT in common with cider. The mouthfeel was very thin with only a mild effervescence being discernible. I was reminded of the hard cider that my maternal grandparents would produce with freshly pressed apples from their upper lot. I was also curious about the spices since they too were indiscernible. Perhaps I drank one too many Pumpkin Ales this year, but I was not getting much in the way of spice from this. Finish was sweet, downright sweet and really more than I wanted. I am going to second this as a potential alternative to a hard cider, but with so many hard ciders hitting the market now, I would have to wonder why bother?

My original, bottle review, dtd 03-05-2013 follows:

Once more, my neighbors had an oddball sixer on the shelf and I decided to split it between my uncle and a colleague. I will try anything once.

From the bottle: "Belgian-style wheat ale brewed with cider and spices with natural Honeycrisp apple flavor and other natural flavor."; "To serve, pour down the side of the glass until 1/2 inch is left in the bottle. Swirl the remaining brew and pour to produce a rich, thick collar of foam. Enjoy!"

As a previous reviewer noted, despite heavy agitation and an aggro pour, I still only developed a pinky finger of eggshell-white head. Color was a cloudy orangish-yellow. Nose smelled of apple cider, so points for truth in advertising. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full and it had a very apple cider flavor in the mouth. The spices lent it an apple pie quality, and it was actually pretty good. Finish was semi-sweet with the spices keeping it from being an outright sugar bomb. This one and the other of my share will be just about the right amount for this hophead. It was a novelty and I do not regret my purchase, but two is enough.

2.75/5  rDev -13.5%

I wasn't expecting such a sweet taste. It reminds me of Redd's. As for the smell I thought it smelled pretty good for an apple beer. The mouth feel is the best rating a gave. It feels so nice and smooth: moderate carbonation.

Overall: I have had worse.

2.23/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Poured from bottle into a cup. Didn't expect to like it. Appearance is a brownish yellow with a surprisingly thick head. Smell was unappealing. Taste was too artificial. Strong apple, little wheat. Mouthfeel was the best quality of this beer. Overall: drank half and got a stomach ache.

3.23/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This beer looks from the get-go like cider, clear dark yellow, though it does produce something of a head. It's not large or long-lasting, but it keeps up a wisp that leaves very, very little lacing on the glass.
Apples are forward, and there is a little wheat to it underneath. There's just a light touch of spicing, cinnamon expressly. The apple is, while a bit sweet, more focused on tart, so there's no question this beer is advertised. Malts bring a slightly musty hint of earth. Green apple skin as well as flesh are strong. Underneath, there's just barely a hint of some hops bitterness evening it out and doing what it can to make it known it's not just "alcopop."
The feel is about right for this beer. It's light, it's crisp and it feels as much like a hard cider as it smells and tastes. It has a nice, crisp bite without being too terribly spritzy, though it starts off leaning that way. A little slickness comes through in the middle but fortunately cuts out.

1.26/5  rDev -60.4%

Bottom Line: This was a complete drain pour. This was actually worse than most BMC light beers, which are at least unnoticeable. This, on the other hand, was hard to stomach.

This was disgustingly, cloyingly sweet in both taste and smell. The mouthfeel was probably okay, and there was a slight slight head on the pour.

Obviously it tasted like apple, but less like good cider, and more like overly floral, cheap apple wine that had been carbonated. Reminded me of Applejacks cereal, but in a bad way - this was bad Applejacks infused BMC Light Lager

3.08/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A new truck stop in my small town has brought holiday tidings of an increased selection of alcoholic beverages. Considering a widely distributed variety of Shock Top to be a new product in a town less than an hour away from the company headquarters should tell you where I'm at with the selection. Poured from an 16oz can perfectly into a 16oz Shock Top glass (because I happen to have one) with no room to spare in the glass and no beer left over in the can. The exactness of the liquid's displacing prowess is absolutely stunning; not a drop out of line. Anheuser is a big company, and mass produced beer is it's schtick, so you bet your ass they have a killer quality control department.

A: The beer poured right up to the lip of the glass, which under normal circumstances would have caused me to slow my roll whilst pouring, but the head quickly dissipated, leaving a smooth surface the exact same color as the base. The color itself is a little more orangey than the standard Shock Top. The head being not entirely unlike ninja smoke is what hurts the appearance score here; one quick white flash of fluff and it's gone. The appearance, along with the smell, taste, and mouthfeel, are trying to bullshit you into believing that this is a cider. Don't fall for such treachery, dear drinker.

S: Well, fuck me, maybe this is a cider! No, no, get your head in the game, man. Instant apple twang crowds the olfactory attempting to mask any faults of the brew. Even the ever-so slight cinnamon kiss overpowers the hop aroma. Nothing in the smell of this beer is wheat-like at all. Having said all that, the smell does foreshadow a taste that will invite those who don't naturally go for better beer into the hallowed house of finely crafted brews.

T: Cider again! Very little beer-like qualities remain in this beer. The appleiness has revealed its final form, and it tastes like the skins rather than the fruit. Seriously, there's a dryness here not too far from a chardonnay in it's tannins. Overall, it's not entirely undesirable, but what is a honeycrisp apple wheat supposed to taste like? Honey? Check. Crisp? Check. Apple? Check? Wheat? Well... maybe not.

M: Light on the tip of the tongue, fruity on the back of it. More carbonation than I'd like to see in a wheat beer. Again, and this is probably the second to last time I'll bring this up, this could be cider and I wouldn't get in a fist fight over it.

O: Just drink cider, ya dummy.

3.11/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Pours a pale golden color with a bubbly white head that quickly dissipated.
Smells of ,surprise, cider and honeycrisp apples with a hint of cinnamon.
Tastes like a straight up harf cider at first but there is some grain in the aftertaste.
Feels light with lots of carbonation.
Wouldn't really purchase again, but the apple flavor was nice.

2.7/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

As someone else said to describe this it taste just like green jolly rancher.. For me it would be hard to stomach more than one of these. It is for an aquired taste... poured slightly clear for a wheat. It is definitly a shock on the palate with a sour taste. Dont really get the honey taste. little fizzy head. try it its either a love it or hate it. Mayne ok if paired with the right meal.

3.52/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Wifey brought this home for me.

Really hazy deep gold with a nice heathy white hat that "stuck around" for quite a bit. Rampant carbonation.

Strong whiffs of green apple and wheat..yeast? The apple is literally tart on my nose.

Taste is more green apple sweet tartness, with a drying slightly warming finish. Surprisingly sticky mouthfeel with diminishing carbonation.

Not bad considering I'm not usually a big fan of "apple" in a beer.

2.16/5  rDev -32.1%

Pours a clouldy yellow color with a small white head that fades to nothing quickly. No lacing. Smell is strong with apple and nothing else. Taste was much the same as smell like sour apples. Not bad if you want a light hard cider but I wouldn't classify it as a beer.

3.4/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I like this one it has mild apple taste. Most appealing is the gluten free as I have a friend who has issues with gluten so we can drink this together. Its much better cool but not refrigerator cold. We had this on summer day and it was very refreshing and not heavy like some beverages can be. For me this is great Grilled food Beer.

3.28/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Cloudy orange/amber with decent foam and little lacing.

Smell: Apple and wheat.

Taste: Wheat and candied apple.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and sweet, with a tangy apple aftertaste.

The Verdict: Not bad. Sweeter than most ciders, this is more of a candy apple flavored ale.

1.85/5  rDev -41.8%

I love beer. I love apple cider. I've liked every apple beer I've tried. Except this one. It smells ok, like apples and cider. The look was ok- it had a decent coloring and was similar to what I would expect of a similar beer. The taste was what got me. It didn't taste like honey crisp apples- it tasted like green jolly ranchers. It was surprisingly unpleasant and saccharine. In addition, there was a bitter note at the end of every sip that wouldnt disappear. If I could, I'd return the rest of the six-pack. Don't waste your money on this. There are much better apple beers out there.

2.26/5  rDev -28.9%

had this after a hot day at the lake with the in-laws. It looked very pretty in the glass, but it all went downhill from there.

Smell: tart green apples. OK, what I would expect.

Taste: artifical green apple flavour, like Jolly Rancher candy. If you put this in front of me I wouldn't know what it was - is this a failed infected beer? Is it a dreadfully bad cider? Did someone slip some cough syrup in a macro lager?

The worst part of the experience for me was the way the horrible artificial green apple flavour repeated on me all night until well after 1am.

Dear gods and little fishes, this is dreadful. Don't avoid it, run away from it screaming like it just dropped a bucket of cockroaches in your hair.

3.37/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A- Pours slightly hazy golden yellow color with a 3-finger fizzy white head that reduces to a small layer skimming the top, leaving no lacing

S- Smells like a straight cider, lots of tart apples with some sweet honey, maybe a touch of cinnamon

T-Very light flavor up front, sweet cider kicks in mid-palate with some tart apples flavors near the finish. The wheat flavor is light, but somewhat noticeable on the finish.

M- light bodied with moderate carbonation, slightly fizzy mouthfeel with a crisp finish

O- this beer serves a purpose, and would be refreshing for spring or summer days. Definitely drinks more like a cider as the wheat aspect is overpowered by the sweetness of the apple

4.22/5  rDev +32.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

This is the second "Shock Top" Beer I have tried,the First was their "Belgian White" and I enjoyed it quite a Bit,yes perhaps it was a bit over the top with a very strong Orange Flavor..but I like Fruit Beers a LOT..and "Shock Top Honey Crisp Apple Wheat" Goes even further with a very pronouced, strong Honey Crisp Apple Aroma and Flavor..and WOW! I REALLY Dig this Brew..Actually it is More of a Cider/Wheat Beer Hybrid Mix,and I think they did a GR8 Job as far as balancing the two,you get that awesome Cider sweet/Tartness and a nice mellow wheat beer body that seems to smooth out the Beer as a whole,a lot of times as good as some Ciders can taste,they just have this overkill of sticky sweet notes that become a bit too forward and take away the Crisp Finish and because of that ,they can be less then stellar for Quaffing on a Hot day,just too damn Sweet to be totally Refreshing~
I Think the Brewers @ Shock Top Realize that fact,and quite Honestly did a fantastic job with this Beer,Though you better really love Honey Crisp Apples,because thats what this beer smells like,and thats what this beer taste like,Apples,Apples Apples man! "Honey Crisp Apples" to be precise,and I myself Love em;)
the Beer pours out a very nice golden color and right away you are hit with such a strong Honey Crisp Apple Aroma,that it floors you,and it's tough not to just chug this Beer down and pop another one right away..because it just smells and taste so damn good,and Actually you really want to drink this Beer ICE COLD,Because when it warms you start to get that Cider sweetness creeping in,there is no doubt that this is a Quaffing Beer,I was Lucky enough to get this Beer Very Fresh,and WOW! when you drink these babies Ice cold,they really slide right down!
For those people who Enjoy "Fruit Beers" and have a bit of an Open Mind,do yourself a favor and check out this Beer,it is 'Seasonal" so you cannot get it year round,the more Traditional Beer Drinker may have a tough time with such a Fruit Forward Beer of this type,and may want to steer clear of this one,and probably All "Shock Top" Fruit Beers because they are VERY Fruit Forward,and probably way too over the top for a lot of people,but I Like that,and I LOVE this Beer~Cheers and Peace2All:)

4.82/5  rDev +51.6%

I am drinking this beer right now as I'm writing this review and even though I'm still a novice when it comes to beer, I can say this is easily my favorite beer. Very smooth, easily drinkable and great taste. Not bitter at all. It's definitely something I'll have to buy more often.

1.75/5  rDev -45%

Up front the smell was okay, not so bad. Mouth feel was what you would expect from a cider of this type; a bit dry, nothing special. Now the taste: Okay, either I just got a bad bottle, or this clearly just isn't my thing, but this was awful; I couldn't even get half the bottle down. Would not try again.

3.8/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

3/26/13

Shock Top's Honeycrisp Apple Wheat: 5.2%, half cider/half beer; Appearance: very hazy peach; Smell: pretty strong honeycrisp apple; Taste/Mouthfeel: good amount of honeycrisp apple, crisp, slight apple skin; pretty good.

Poured into a pint glass.

1.21/5  rDev -61.9%

Got this as part of a sampler pack with Shock Top's Lemon shandy and Belgian white.

No comment on appearance since I did not really note the color when I had this (late review). In terms of smell the only thing I can think of to describe it is jolly rancher green apple. Overly sweet, artificial, and overpowering. Smelling it is almost like doing a rail of "apple" flavored sugar cocaine. No hint of beer at all. More of a juice than anything. If you made me smell this and didn't tell me what it was I would think It was some new sugary kids drink. The taste is just as overpoweringly sweet. Think candy juice spiked with sugary. I will try and finish just about everything and I like my sweets just as much as the kid down the street, but to me this is just too much. Almost didn't finish this. Have a few more bottles laying around that I unfortunaly may pour down the drain.

3.05/5  rDev -4.1%

I bought a six-pack of Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat in a grocery store. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a pale yellow color, cloudy, about like pineapple juice.

Smell is decidedly apple. An authentic apple aroma and not much else. More of a juice arma than a beer.

Taste is a tart apple flavor, with a hint of cereal flavor in the background. Mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel is as crisp and clean as thin apple cider.

Overall not terrible, but not great. It might be competing with the apple ales (Red's) and apple ciders (Angry Orchard) on the market.

3.61/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Very pale apple juice. No foam, but there is some crisp carbonation.

Smell: Refreshing apple and a hint of sweet caramel; a great combination. Doesn't really smell like beer though.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Hard apple cider with some caramel malt in the background so you get the idea is it beer. Has a champagne flavor to it due to the yeast. Honestly, I found this very enjoyable, even as it warms a bit. Mouthfeel starts crisp but is a bit too sugary as it warms.

Overall Drinkability: A decent fall beer.

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat from Anheuser-Busch