Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat is a unique, hand crafted brewed hybrid of Belgian wheat beer and sweet cider, with natural Honeycrisp flavor added to produce an innovative new brew that is crisp, refreshing and flavorful. This unfiltered brew is the perfect beer to welcome the warming Spring days.

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2013)
1.4/5  rDev -54.7%

I only have a few beers a month, so I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. However, this is one of the very few beers I have had that I would rate as genuinely awful -- bad enough to warrant my first full review (woo-hoo!). I cannot make a hard and fast assessment of the color, appearance, or lacing, as I had this straight from the bottle. The dominant, pervasive, and lasting impression, both smell and taste, is that of an alcoholic Jolly Rancher, the green apple flavor. I have had the regular Shock Top Belgian Wheat in the past and found that to be an acceptable brew in the face of limited options, so I was pretty disappointed by this variant. A hint of fruit flavor is nice, but the Anheuser-Busch people went way over the top on this one. I won't be giving it a second chance.

Shock Top Honey Apple Crisp has a thin, quickly-dying head, a dark golden, apple juice appearance, with lots of bubbles (etched tasting glass), and not much lacing left behind. The aroma and taste are of apple flavor, sugar, and children’s sugary breakfast cereal. Mouthfeel is heavy and chewy, and Shock Top Apple Crisp finishes sweet and chunky. Overall, this will appeal to those who prefer sweet, flavored beer-based products, and will be hated by those who prefer the traditional taste of beer.

RJT

2.75/5  rDev -11%

3.75/5  rDev +21.4%

4.25/5  rDev +37.5%

2.75/5  rDev -11%

3.5/5  rDev +13.3%

I had this on tap at the brewery in st Louis, and it actually is really fantastic. it has a nice golden glow and some mild haze beneath a good sized white head. the nose is fresh apples, half way between juice and cider, its really nice because its all fruit and no spice, just right. the taste is the same, overpoweringly fresh apples, true to its name. there is little here to remind me that this is beer, but I think that's the purpose of shock top, is it not? its not too sweet either, but rather a little tart like the honeycrisp itself. maybe a touch of wheat malt in here, but its simple and subtle. the finish is long and fruity, a really nice twist from the normal shock top. carbonated like soda pop, I think this does exactly what it sets out to do. I don't need more than one, but I like what they have going on here. im sure in a bottle that's been around awhile this is pretty bad, but I can absolutely vouch for the brewery fresh edition, it really is pretty darn good.

edit: not so good from the bottle. while the apples are still really fresh and snappy and authentic, the sugar is just way too much. one bottle is doable, but a night on these is an awful idea resulting in diabetic hangover and tooth decay. one is the right dose, any more is too much. i wish this was dryer, way better at the source, but still genuine fruit flavor.

2.49/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked up a single 12 oz to fill out a six, thinking my wife might like it.

She likes flavored wheat beers. She tried it as a "blind" test. Color was bold, almost vibrant. We both had trouble nailing down the kind of fruit being featured due to a "complex" bouquet. The head was one finger, but gone in an instant.

She was not interested in finishing this one which we both agreed was an overly-sweet cider beverage.

3.04/5  rDev -1.6%

3.1/5  rDev +0.3%

The appearance is very bright and radical. The smell is the that of a sour apple jolly rancher. The taste is okay of course like that of an apple however the aftertaste is pretty bland and well below other comparable comparisons. It was nice to try an individual bottle but improvement could definitely be made. 156 Calories, 5.2% ABV. Sam Adams Cherry Wheat remains the top for me in this category.

2.5/5  rDev -19.1%

3.58/5  rDev +15.9%

If you enjoy the apple beers this offering is right up your alley. As soon as you open the bottle, a whiff of apple fills the room. I am not always a fan of "fruit" beers but I would purchase this again. This brew goes down pretty smoothly and if the price is right you should definitely give it a try.

3.54/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Near two inch white head on a dull cloudy golden colored body. Head stick around for a few minutes. Cap and collar throughout.

Smells like straight fresh apples. Uncanny.

Taste follows the aroma to a "T". Fresh tart apples followed by a near overpowering sweetness. Some lemon tang is noticeable. No alcohol presence.

Medium carbonation. Medium low mouthfeel. Funny because I expected this one to be high carbonation for some reason.

I like what ABInBev was thinking here although this is a beer that I won't be able to finish this bottle. I can see casual craft fans getting their toes wet here but the sweetness is too much for me.

3.3/5  rDev +6.8%

drank this out of a 12oz bottle, no date on the bottle that I saw

can't comment on the look of the beer, but my guess is that it's fizzy and yellow, with a small white head. little head retention or lacing, i would gather. need more info on the look? taste is heavy on the artificial green apple, with wheat beer characteristics.

good for a wine cooler, bad for a beer.

3.75/5  rDev +21.4%