Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat is a unique, hand crafted brewed hybrid of Belgian wheat beer and sweet cider, with natural Honeycrisp flavor added to produce an innovative new brew that is crisp, refreshing and flavorful. This unfiltered brew is the perfect beer to welcome the warming Spring days.

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2013)
2.56/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle says 5.2%. Poured into a Samuel Smith pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy golden color. The head is a quick-fading two finger white shade. Not the most aesthetically pleasing brew.

S: Is this beer, or is it cider? There are strong apple tones throughout, along with a bit of tartness and some diacetyl. Jolly Ranchers come instantly to mind here. The minor beer qualities here aren't too hot.

T: This may well be cider, with its big sweetness and apple flavors, but there's also some finishing diacetyl that I could do without. The malty finish tries to balance some of the cider sweetness...only it turns it into beery sweetness that's a bit more unpleasant. None of the advertised spices come through well.

M: Thick and sweet, as expected. Lots of carbonation, too. The problem here is that it's so damn sweet that it kills drinkability - and it can't get away with it the way a pure commercial cider like Angry Orchard can.

O: I totally get this point of this product, combining a sweet apple cider with a generic witbier - the problem is it tries to be everything to everyone, and as a result, doesn't do either the cider or the beer aspect well enough to appeal to discerning craft beer/cider drinkers (plus the whole "it's made by AB-InBev" thing). Not bad for a malternative, though.

ThisWangsChung, Apr 07, 2013
3.24/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Rather hazy yellow-brown, as befits an unfiltered wheat beer, with a fairly robust, coarse white head, which retains fairly well. The lacing is fairly thick, scattered, and patchy.

Aroma: Prominent apple note, somewhat artificial, alas. The aroma is strongly reminiscent of the Jolly Rancher apple candy of my youth. I am not able to detect any wheat in the aroma.

Taste: Opens with a sharp, crisp flavor of apples, fortunately lacking the artificial quality of the aroma. As the taste progresses, there are understated flavors of baked bread, and a hint of earthiness, in keeping with the wheat base of this beer. That being said, the apple flavor dominates the taste from start to finish. Late in the taste, there is a distinct flavor of apple rind, and a faint hop presence.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, and decently full, with mild carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Better than I expected it to be, among the better Shock Top offerings. This is presented as a spring seasonal, in my opinion, it would be better suited to autumn. I did swirl the last half-inch of the beer in the bottle before pouring it into my glass. Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat might present slightly differently if this were not done. This beer might serve as an entree to craft beer for those who are accustomed to "malternatives" and other such sweetened alcoholic beverages.

Presentation: Packaged in a custom twelve-ounce brown glass long-neck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

Source: Purchased at Wal-Mart in Texas as a selection of a Brewmaster's Choice build-your-own six-pack for $8.99.

Pegasus, Apr 07, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +45.2%

markallmon, Apr 07, 2013
3.06/5  rDev -1.3%

Another Shock Top variation. $7.49 a 6 pack at the Pik 'n Go liquor store in Bloomingdale, IL. 12oz brown bottles with no freshness date. I thought all AB products had a born on date, but couldn't find one on these bottles.

The appearance is disappointing. The color is right - a cloudy apple cider gold, but the white head dissipates before you can even put the bottle down and there is no lacing whatsoever.

Huge tart baking apple smell.

Tastes like spiced apple cider with some alcohol added. Tart apples, cinnamon, and some wheat malt, and that's about it.

Light bodied with medium carbonation.

Very refreshing, but not very beer-like.

matjack85, Apr 06, 2013
3.25/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - very bright, cloudy yellow with a short-lived, fizzy, white head

S - like a sour apple jolly rancher

T - sour apple up front followed by over-ripe red apple and apple skin

M - light to medium bodied, crisp, over carbonated

Well, this is definitely an apple ale. There's no doubt about it. Unfortunately, I'm not getting any of the spices mentioned on the label. This definitely isn't for me, but it does achieve what it sets out to do. This is a light, refreshing offering that will satisfy your typical fruit-beer drinker or cider drinker.

tdm168, Apr 06, 2013

TBarJr, Apr 06, 2013
3.46/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Surprisingly not bad. The smell stood out to me and was fantastic. I'm a huge fan of Martinelli's sparkling apple cider and this reminded me of that. The flavor was nice. Apple forward. Ends dry. For some odd reason I kept getting whiskey notes and some heat as I swallowed. For 5.2% I shouldn't notice any heat at all. But I got some. Slightly heavy for me, I like really light wheat beers and this was too heavy for my liking. However, it wasnt an offensive mess like the raspberry wheat and it's not something I'd turn down. Especially in the summer. I wouldn't rush to buy a 6 pack of it, but if there's nothing at the bar or at a BBQ, why not?

Johnnyramirez, Apr 05, 2013

DemDumplingz, Apr 04, 2013

troynos, Apr 04, 2013

duceswild, Apr 04, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -11.3%

oriolesfan4, Apr 03, 2013

jleighhh, Apr 03, 2013
4.06/5  rDev +31%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A- Pours a light orange to yellow color with a ton of haze like a traditional wheat beer. Small to medium sized head that is mainly light and fizzy. Head goes down to a thin film on top fairly quickly with just a little bit of lacing. Body's color is very light on the edges when held to the light.

S- Huge, juicy apple scents right up front. The level of juiciness in this is surprising for a liquid. Apple is pretty much the only flavor in the scent, but man is it juicy and delicious smelling.

T- This just plain tastes like a hard cider up front. Starts with that same juicy apple flavor from the scent, then moves right into the wheat flavors. Wheat and grain turn into a fairly dry flavor profile towards the end. Ends with the grain and little to no hop bite.

M- Very, very carbonated, almost feels like a champagne. Decent body weight from the wheat, but doesn't sit too heavy. These could go down smooth for a while, but would probably fill you up after a bit.

Overall, this is a simple fruit beer, but pretty good. The wheat flavors brings it back into the beer realm from the juicy apples flavors that had me thinking it was basically a hard cider.

boilermakerbrew, Apr 03, 2013
3.7/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat

I walked into my local beer distributor the other day and smelled apples. Lo and behold, there on tap was Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat. I poured myself a glass and had a look. It looked like fresh cider. Not much head. And it smelled like apples, even more so than fresh cider. It was sweet and it tasted like apples, albeit fake apples. I didn't find much wheat, and I didn't find much spice (some light cinnamon, and maybe some vanilla). In fact, I didn't find it much like beer at all. Still it was interesting and I knew my wife would like it. And since I was headed to an outdoor party I considered it quite seriously. In the end I passed it by, but I will consider it in the future. I could see it as an interesting beer to have on-hand at Thanksgiving.

NeroFiddled, Apr 02, 2013

1.5/5  rDev -51.6%

KalH, Mar 25, 2013

richkrull, Mar 24, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +30%

A review by the sister of DIaNE bREW...
Appearance - You can't see through it. It looks dirty. A bit muddy.
Smell- Honey crisp apples and sex.
Taste- Like fresh apple cider. delicious! Very filling
Mouth feel- It coats every taste bud
Overall- Shockingly amazing. Shockingly delicious with apple flavour

Diane_Brew, Mar 23, 2013

djaeon, Mar 23, 2013

archero, Mar 21, 2013
3.1/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Poured out a clear, golden color with a small, fizzy white head of foam. It left little to no lacing on the glass.

S - It smelled cider-like. Apples, just apples.

T - Tasted like apple cider. I didn't get any wheat. If I didn't see myself pour it, I would've thought it was a Woodchuck. It didn't taste bad, though.

M - Crisp, sharp and smooth. Bud knows how to do that. Light bodied.

O - It's a fine cider but not at all a witbier. Maybe a fruit beer.

zeff80, Mar 21, 2013
3.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint.

A - Pours a hazy yellow/gold with a one-finger foamy white head. Zero lacing.

S - Smells EXACTLY like a a sour apple Jolly Rancher. Doesnt really smell like a beer, but the odor is plesant enough.

T - Taste matches the smell exactly. Candied sour green apple. No hint of beer flavors such as malt or hops, much closer to a cider. Zero complexity, just lots of tart apple. Finishes clean and crisp.

M - Medium bodied. Prickly carbonation. A little sticky.

O - Umm...I'm not even sure how I feel about this. Is it bad? No, not exactly. As a beer...it makes a pretty decent cider. But since I wanted a beer, I'd have to say it fails. Seems like an AB attempt to "trick" people into drinking cider??

TempeBeerMan, Mar 20, 2013