2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Schofferhofer Grapefruit Hefeweizen - Binding-Brauerei AG

Schofferhofer Grapefruit HefeweizenSchofferhofer Grapefruit Hefeweizen

Binding-Brauerei AG visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  2.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Redwood21 on 02-19-2008)
View: Beers (20) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 172 | Reviews: 55 | Show All Ratings:
SlingerBKLYN

1.1/5  rDev -67.2%

This is the first Growler of beer I've purchased that I'm pouring into the sink. It tastes more like Orange Crush than like Beer. When I was told that it had an orange tang to it I thought to myself "well it's a German Beer, with their purity laws it can't be artificial tasting". Wrong this is the worst beer I've ever purchased. Goodby Draino here comes Schofferhofer.

06-05-2013 21:57:16 | More by SlingerBKLYN
jazztoloc

Mexico

1.2/5  rDev -64.2%

This is a mix drink, If I am reviewing this as a Hefeweizen, I would say it's really bad. It has a very strong grapefruit (not natural) smell and flavor and a small hint of Hefe, almost nothing.
It's like a soda. I think this should not be filed under Hefeweizen.

On the other side, people who like grapefruit soda might like this, as the smell and flavor hints from the Hefeweizen could add some kind of complexity to the very strong soda feel.

05-19-2009 16:49:21 | More by jazztoloc
RickS95

Indiana

1.75/5  rDev -47.8%

It loosely resembles a hefe. There's a milky haze, a cloudiness to it. But mostly it looks like milky grapefruit juice. The head is bright white, has minimal retention, and really doesn't do it for me. It's an almost average rendition of a hefe.

I don't know how to describe the smell, but I don't care for it. There's no beery quality to it and it barely smells like grapefruit. There's a citrus rind scent, but that's about it.

Doesn't taste like any beer I've ever had, and I've had my fair share. It tastes more like sweet grapefruit juice. There's plenty of sugar in this and it really overwhelms everything else. That said, there is a citrus flavor, but again, too much sugar.

Very sweet, acidic. Light bodied. Fairly carbonated. Little body other than sugar. Little to no bitterness, though it's slightly tart.

Skip this. I struggle to consider this a beer, and it gives a bad name to hefeweizens.

08-23-2013 03:00:02 | More by RickS95
laituegonflable

1.88/5  rDev -43.9%

NOTE: I didn't know what I was drinking when I reviewed this

Pours very pale with a cloudy appearance. White, respectable head, leaves a thin-ish film, decent lacing but not great. Too many floaties.

Bizarre nose, like lemon squash, very sugary and fruity with a slight tang. Not beer-esque at all, this is completely anomalous drop that pretty much smells exactly like soft drink.

Again, very lemony with a slight tartness but mostly a candy sweetness that is like beer with sugar cubes dropped in it. Not pleasant, has no beer taste and is also watery. Mouthfeel is VERY thin.

This is piss in a glass, the puckering aspect is all there is to pique my interest. Obviously a chick beer, obviously a feeble attempt to call itself beer while actually tasting nothing like it. Fuck you, drink.

04-16-2009 04:10:11 | More by laituegonflable
VelvetExtract

2.14/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A-Yikes. Pours akin to orange soda. Little, white cap of fizz sits atop the soft drink. Very hazy.

S-Big whiff of tangy, organic grapefruit. Natural grapefruit zestiness.

T-Grapefruit soda. Sweet and zesty. Doesn't taste like beer. Soda pop yo!

M-Soda, feels like a sugary soft drink.

O/D-Not beer to me. And apparently its only 2.5℅. Nope, nope, nope. This is not my cup of suds. This is what you'd see a German guy bring to a kids house on To Catch a Predator. Tastes like soda-pop...hooray.

05-31-2013 00:44:46 | More by VelvetExtract
djura

Serbia

2.53/5  rDev -24.5%

Expected much more from hefe Radler..
A - Really nice orange red grape color,also one finger white foam,big plus on this.
S - Grapefruit only.
T/M - Regular average Radler,nothing to special in it. Medium carbonation,a bit lower bitterness,which is plus. Mostly citrus and Grape.
O - Same as most Radlers..

08-16-2013 21:00:09 | More by djura
pootz

2.55/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

330ml bottle:

Pours a milky pale orange. small white cap some lacing.

Aroma distinctly citrus and not much else but some sweetness.

Thinish body, sweet citrus flavor, barely detectable malt presence, spritzy drying finish...tastes like grapefruit soda....far too sweet.

I tried it. I don't need to try it again..I can't see the point..fills a niche no one cares about..

04-23-2010 01:57:04 | More by pootz
Chaz

2.58/5  rDev -23%

Pours a clear dusky-orange in color, with some yeast suspension evident and a solidly-domed / rocky off-white head. Looks pretty good from the outset, but the color (even in the bottle) looks "fake" or artificial*.

On the nose there's just the merest hint of a light yeast tang and it hides behind walls of sweet, sugary citrus-drink confection. Reminds me of "Tang" or even "Five Alive." Grapefruit? Not so much. Really gotta get my nose down into the glass to smell anything resembling beer -- much less Hefeweizen.

On the first sip it's SWEET! Well, sweet alternating with a bitterness that I normally associate with various artificial sweeteners. An unnatural bitterness rather than a 'citrus peel' type of bitterness, which often works in some spiced and flavored beers (certain Belgian styles.)

There *is* a Hefe yeast profile coming up into the drink, here and there, but it really is clobbered by the sweetness and nondescript citrus fruit flavor. Again, it's not strictly a Grapefruit flavor, as there's heavy orange notes, and the sweetness is just over-the-top.

The touch of alcohol here is light, so 2.5% I can believe. There isn't much mouthfeel or body to go with this flavor profile, in fact it is watery and reminds me of an orange soda with ice cubes that have melted -- but it's still sweet...

I don't like giving bad reviews -and I have been generous in this respect, here- but this beer is really just not to my liking. I'd hardly call it a beer...

*Note: there is indeed artificial coloring (cochineal extract) and as far as the flavoring, I'll just have to imagine that there is something not 100% natural going on there, as with the sweetener.

08-30-2013 23:24:47 | More by Chaz
IronDjinn

2.68/5  rDev -20%

From a 330 ml clear bottle that came in a 6 pack. Pours out a cloudy light marmalade hue, fizzy white head that quickly sets to a thin cap.

Intense bright grapefruit juice on the nose, faint soft wheat malt in the background.

The flavour is predominantly that of sweet ruby red grapefruit juice, with some faint, very faint bready malt in the background. I happen to like grapefruit so it's enjoyable, however seems much more like carbonated juice, or a traditional fruit soda.

Mouthfeel is light and thin, the texture carries a bit of fullness from the wheat malt, while the carbonation is brisk and spritzy.

An okay lawnmower beer for those not very mechanically inclined and fearing the loss of their toes (as this a lightweight 2.5%), quenching all the same, but not something I plan on picking up again. A low-alcohol fruit radler for those into that sort of thing.

04-09-2012 04:04:46 | More by IronDjinn
lacqueredmouse

2.85/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy orange yellow with a huge frothy head of dense sparkling yellow bubbles. Very thick. Looks decent enough.

Huge grapefruit sparkling citrus character on the nose. Nothing else. Smells like soft drink, or a premix alcopop. Citrus, acidity, sugar. Not that that's necessarily bad, for what it is. It's just strong, weird and un-beerlike.

Thin alcopop sour-sweet flavour too, with a lingering wheat acidity that tastes surprisingly meaty after the sharp fruit-acid character. Grapefruit leaves a dollop of bitterness on the very back, but don't get me wrong, it's not a beer-like bitterness.

It's very refreshing, and easy to drink, of course, but it's an odd concoction. I'm happy enough to drink it on occasion though.

04-12-2009 23:18:43 | More by lacqueredmouse
magictacosinus

2.93/5  rDev -12.5%

Provided to me for free by a very friendly representative from Binding-Brauerei recently. Freshness date is "2014.1." I would have never bought this myself, but I appreciate the chance to try it. Poured into a stange glass from a 12oz bottle.

Looks completely like an orange cream soda, complete with a similarly looking fizzy white head that somehow holds on to its dear life thanks to the stange glass. Bubbles glide up this thing in the same vein of soda, and otherwise, it's pretty watery looking and lacks any qualities that would make me think that this was a beer if served to me. I'm rating this for what it is, and definitely not to style. Not horrible, but pretty gimmicky looking.

The aroma is not as bad as expected - rather than being pelted with an artificial smelling fruit aroma with a cheaply made beer backbone, there are vibrant notes of fresh squeezed grapefruit, lime peel, and apricots. The hefeweizen surprisingly does seep in under the soda flavors, with notes of wheat and cereal grains, as well as a bit of tart characteristics. Very refreshing. Good quality ingredients were definitely used here.

The flavor coats the palate with notes of juicy grapefruit peel, as well as various other citrus notes and dried fruits, only to reveal the beer that lurks underneath. It tastes slightly artificial, but the wheat backbone, as well as the notes of bready yeastiness and lactic tart phenols save this from being a total disaster. I admit I really like the grapefruit flavor here, and it drinks just like a soda as a result. Extremely low in alcohol, refreshing, and spritzy in feel and body. Not the greatest, but not godawful by any means.

This reminds me a lot more of the same vein of Berliner Weissbiers rather than traditional hefeweizens. Come to think of it, a nicely tart low alcoholic beer would go quite well with grapefruit syrup, but this probably the subjectively better tasting one. This could do the trick out on the beach or at a picnic, although I'd probably just take an actual beer instead most of the time. This also, sadly enough, is a way that many of these breweries abroad have creeped into the American market - by sugarcoating their products with crazy flavorings such as this one. However, this at least avoids being totally artificial tasting, and as I result I recommend to all who are looking for some bizarre beer-related novelty every once in a while.

08-03-2013 07:06:31 | More by magictacosinus
dansmcd

2.95/5  rDev -11.9%

A - Deep cloudy dark orange colour, hardly any trace of a head, despite being classified as a hefe. Disappointing.

S - Artificial grapefruit and passionfruit flavoured wine gums, starbust, sherbert.

T - Really sweet, pasito, tonic water, slight honey and grapefruit. No wheat or other typical hefe flavours.

M - Light fizzy body, high carbonation.

O - More soft drink than beer, it's certainly not a hefeweizen. Very tasty though and very suitable for an afternoon in the sun.

08-06-2012 08:28:17 | More by dansmcd
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

330 ml bottle from the LCBO, seems interesting!

Pours a cloudy orange, tangerine/grapefruit kind of colour, thin white head forms, quickly settles to a thin ring, no lacing. Smell is weird, reminds me of a bathroom, grapefruit, oranges, yeast, wheat, bananas, spice, keeping me on my toes. Taste is very sweet, like grapefruit or orange juice, tangerines, some banana/clove weiss character, very sweet and sugary, almost a bitter rind feel to it. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium to high carbonation, feels like carbonated juice. On the sweet side, almost cloying. Pretty neat stuff but not really my cup of tea, little too sweet for my liking.

08-15-2008 03:38:15 | More by Viggo
Redwood21

3.03/5  rDev -9.6%

A: The color is actually kinda cool, sorta glows amber yello but dull. the head is like non existent though, its weird

S: smack you in the face grapefruit, not like an ipa might "resemble" its like unsweetened bitter grapefruit almost sour very intense

T: yup grapefruit... not sweetened which i guess it need not be, but thats one tart fruit. doesnt much taste like a beer, more like a beer cooler?

I got this from my friend who is from germany. so i had to try it, but even he said its not considered the "creme dela creme" in germany so i think i will stick with that. Im sure their other styles are good, but this much fruit is too overpowering

02-19-2008 04:35:22 | More by Redwood21
wordemupg

3.03/5  rDev -9.6%

330ml bottle poured into pint glass mar23 2011

A cloudy pale orange with a shitload of bubbles feeding a long lasting thumbs width of head that leaves a few random patches of lace

S grapefruit and orange candy, faint yeast and spice

T just a little bit of banana and almost a orange crush pop flavor without as much yeast as on the nose and just a little to sweet

M light but it feels more like juice or pop then anything else

O something different but unless there's a heat wave I can't see myself drinking many of these

something for my lady but not my thing, nothing offensive but I could take it or leave it

03-24-2011 02:30:32 | More by wordemupg
TMoney2591

3.04/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

After the runaway success of Stiegl's Grapefruit Radler last year, it's only natural that we'd see the large liquor stores around here with stacks of this stuff, an untested beer from an untested brewer (for the area, anyway). Hell, I've only seen the normal hefe in these parts, and that was only at a couple of random spots. Let's see if this stuff is worth the attention:

It pours a hazy straw-orange topped by a half-finger of rather short-lived off-white foam. The nose comprises sharp grapefruit zest. That's it. If there's any hefeweizen in there, I can't smell a lick of it. The taste brings in more of the same, now more of a grapefruit lemonade than anything, sweetener and all. The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a wet feel. Overall, this is a pretty weak beer, not altogether unpleasant, but a simple flash of grapefruit. If they hadn't told me there was a hefe base, I'd never have known. Hell, I think it was a waste of a hefeweizen, as all there was was grapefruit. It's not bad, but not my cup of tea.

05-22-2013 03:52:57 | More by TMoney2591
CAMRAhardliner

3.1/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a deep straw color with faint pink highlights. The head is pretty much non-existent. light wheat malt and banana esters in the aroma are overpowered by sweet citrus and grapefruit. The taste is very much like a grapefruit soda, sweet and tart with lots citrus flavor. A bit of hefeweizen character is noticeable but really lies in the background. There's a sacharine sweetness in the finish. Must be some sweetener going on.

This is only half a beer, its basically a summer time fruit beverage with some beer qualities. OK, but I prefer 100% beers.

07-04-2008 02:27:52 | More by CAMRAhardliner
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

3.1/5  rDev -7.5%

Bottle: Poured a glowy orange color weizen with a pure white bubbly head with minimal retention and no lacing. Aroma is totally dominated by the grapefruit which are not as syrupy as I expected. Taste is also dominated by nice grapefruit notes with some very subtle wheat note. Not something I would drink on a regular basis but it does work a lot more then I had expected.

08-19-2008 20:18:47 | More by Phyl21ca
brendan13

3.1/5  rDev -7.5%

A - Cloudy vibrant orange colour poured with a few centimetres of fluffy white head that falls away fairly quickly.
S - Grapefruit is very dominating, the Hefeweizen character is there but only just.
T - The taste, like the smell, is also dominated by grapefruit.
M - Light to medium bodied. Quite suprisingly the carbonation is quite lower than a regular Hefeweizen.
D - The low ABV% helps the drinkability but I won't be buying this again.

10-27-2008 05:44:25 | More by brendan13
biboergosum

3.1/5  rDev -7.5%

330ml bottle...a beer/fruit juice mix is just what I need after my last dalliance - an 18.5% barrel-aged barleywine. Like a palate cleanser, as it were. Strange this isn't classified as a Fruit Beer.

This beer (mix) pours a bright cloudy medium golden hue, with one fat finger of foamy white head, which leaves nothing in the way of lace around the glass as it quickly recedes. It smells of mild wheat malt, strong coriander, and middling grapefruit juice. The taste is sweet, sugary coriander spice, a neutered wheat graininess, a bit of white pepper, and a mild grapefruit essence. The carbonation is moderate to low, the body on the light side, and fruity in a clean acidic manner. It finishes off-dry, the fruit and scaled back wheat malt still the stars of the show, the only drying offset coming from the grapefruit.

It's nice that there's some obvious traits from the underlying hefe, even if they are soaked in a sugary film. Beyond that, we're talking adulterated beer, albeit with one of my favourite juices, so I'm just gonna have to say that this hits the spot, and would anywhere it's too hot/Checkstopped/overserved...

06-05-2011 02:22:32 | More by biboergosum
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

3.13/5  rDev -6.6%

Bought this for my wife but tried some and was confused how i felt about it as the combo of grapefruit and hefe is not bad as a beer alternative but really it is not a true beer. It is refreshing and low in ABV but the desire in my part is just to have a straight hefe,

01-01-2010 18:51:02 | More by canucklehead
Beers

3.15/5  rDev -6%

I'm glad I bought two bottles of this beer, because I didn't really like the first one. I wanted to drink a beer, and was not too impressed at what was in my glass.

The second however, I knew what to expect, and drank it on its own merits.

This is an odd one, at only 50% beer, 50% grapefruit "drink", but the bitterness of the grapefruit is actually a complementing taste to the beer.

This is meant to be a refreshing "drink" rather than a true to style beer (not quite Reinheitsgebot material here).

Head dissipates quite quickly (only half beer after all) and the carbonation is way too high for my tastes, but it is a nice refreshing drink. After taste seems like what beer kool-aid might taste like.

06-18-2008 01:05:31 | More by Beers
ManOfBeerMan

Utah

3.25/5  rDev -3%

This will probably come off as being a jerk, but I can't review this as a beer. It doesn't taste like a beer, it doesn't look like a beer. Nothing about it tells me it's a beer except for a bit of an after taste that screams citrusy wheat beer. It is like some combined Squirt, ruby red grapefruit juice, Blue Moon, and sugar. Which is what brings me to my weird scoring on this beer. It looks, smells, tastes, and feels good in the mouth. Just like drinking a soda. And all of those can equally apply to beer. But in this case they don't. It's great in all categories as a soda, but as a beer it is barely passing. Calling this a beer is calling Smirnoff Ice a beer. And a world where Smirnoff Ice is a beer I refuse to exist.

11-24-2013 10:08:54 | More by ManOfBeerMan
FLima

Brazil

3.28/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Hazy orange color with a thin head with low retention.
Citrusy aroma, predominanting grapefruits with hints of wheat and acid ascorbic.
Nice refreshing taste of oranges and grapefruit on a light wheaty base and a yeasty finish, almost unperceptible. Dry and acid aftertaste. Light body with good carbonation. At 2.5% ABV with the right level of sweetness, I could never drink again any soda. This would be a perfect substitute. It is actually a grapefruit radler.

07-17-2013 22:27:10 | More by FLima
dbrauneis

3.29/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a cloudy medium golden orange in color (almost like an Orange Crush soda was dumped into a Hefeweizen) with moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some fake orange soda highlights. The beer has a half finger tall fizzy light orange/peach head that quickly reduces to a small patch of very thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of grapefruit juice (ruby red) over the top of light aromas of wheat, banana, and clove.

T: Upfront this beer tastes just like rudy red grapefruit juice with light amounts of sweetness which is followed by a finish that is all light wheat, banana, and just a hint of clove. No perceptible bitterness is present.

M: Light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin.

O: Easy to drink and refreshing but not sure how many of these I could have in a single session, this seems more like something that might go well with brunch. This one is real interesting in that there are two completely separate components to the flavor of this beer - the grapefruit and then the Hefeweizen.

04-18-2013 23:14:48 | More by dbrauneis