Schöfferhofer Grapefruit Weizen-Mix - Binding-Brauerei AG

Schöfferhofer Grapefruit Weizen-MixSchöfferhofer Grapefruit Weizen-Mix

Binding-Brauerei AG visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  2.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Redwood21 on 02-19-2008)

1.1/5  rDev -67.9%

This is the first Growler of beer I've purchased that I'm pouring into the sink. It tastes more like Orange Crush than like Beer. When I was told that it had an orange tang to it I thought to myself "well it's a German Beer, with their purity laws it can't be artificial tasting". Wrong this is the worst beer I've ever purchased. Goodby Draino here comes Schofferhofer.

1.2/5  rDev -65%

This is a mix drink, If I am reviewing this as a Hefeweizen, I would say it's really bad. It has a very strong grapefruit (not natural) smell and flavor and a small hint of Hefe, almost nothing.
It's like a soda. I think this should not be filed under Hefeweizen.

On the other side, people who like grapefruit soda might like this, as the smell and flavor hints from the Hefeweizen could add some kind of complexity to the very strong soda feel.

1.28/5  rDev -62.7%

1.5/5  rDev -56.3%

1.6/5  rDev -53.4%

1.75/5  rDev -49%

It loosely resembles a hefe. There's a milky haze, a cloudiness to it. But mostly it looks like milky grapefruit juice. The head is bright white, has minimal retention, and really doesn't do it for me. It's an almost average rendition of a hefe.

I don't know how to describe the smell, but I don't care for it. There's no beery quality to it and it barely smells like grapefruit. There's a citrus rind scent, but that's about it.

Doesn't taste like any beer I've ever had, and I've had my fair share. It tastes more like sweet grapefruit juice. There's plenty of sugar in this and it really overwhelms everything else. That said, there is a citrus flavor, but again, too much sugar.

Very sweet, acidic. Light bodied. Fairly carbonated. Little body other than sugar. Little to no bitterness, though it's slightly tart.

Skip this. I struggle to consider this a beer, and it gives a bad name to hefeweizens.

1.75/5  rDev -49%

1.88/5  rDev -45.2%

NOTE: I didn't know what I was drinking when I reviewed this

Pours very pale with a cloudy appearance. White, respectable head, leaves a thin-ish film, decent lacing but not great. Too many floaties.

Bizarre nose, like lemon squash, very sugary and fruity with a slight tang. Not beer-esque at all, this is completely anomalous drop that pretty much smells exactly like soft drink.

Again, very lemony with a slight tartness but mostly a candy sweetness that is like beer with sugar cubes dropped in it. Not pleasant, has no beer taste and is also watery. Mouthfeel is VERY thin.

This is piss in a glass, the puckering aspect is all there is to pique my interest. Obviously a chick beer, obviously a feeble attempt to call itself beer while actually tasting nothing like it. Fuck you, drink.

2.12/5  rDev -38.2%

2.14/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A-Yikes. Pours akin to orange soda. Little, white cap of fizz sits atop the soft drink. Very hazy.

S-Big whiff of tangy, organic grapefruit. Natural grapefruit zestiness.

T-Grapefruit soda. Sweet and zesty. Doesn't taste like beer. Soda pop yo!

M-Soda, feels like a sugary soft drink.

O/D-Not beer to me. And apparently its only 2.5℅. Nope, nope, nope. This is not my cup of suds. This is what you'd see a German guy bring to a kids house on To Catch a Predator. Tastes like soda-pop...hooray.

Schöfferhofer Grapefruit Weizen-Mix from Binding-Brauerei AG