Schöfferhofer Grapefruit Weizen-Mix - Binding-Brauerei AG

Germany

Hefeweizen |  2.50% ABV

Beer added by: Redwood21 on 02-19-2008

1.12/5  rDev -67.2%

This is the first Growler of beer I've purchased that I'm pouring into the sink. It tastes more like Orange Crush than like Beer. When I was told that it had an orange tang to it I thought to myself "well it's a German Beer, with their purity laws it can't be artificial tasting". Wrong this is the worst beer I've ever purchased. Goodby Draino here comes Schofferhofer. (370 characters)

1.22/5  rDev -64.2%

it looks like a hefeweizen, nice and cloudy, but the smell is horrible, tastes disgustingly sweet and nothing like beer at all. total sink pour on this one. (158 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -63.9%

This is a mix drink, If I am reviewing this as a Hefeweizen, I would say it's really bad. It has a very strong grapefruit (not natural) smell and flavor and a small hint of Hefe, almost nothing.
It's like a soda. I think this should not be filed under Hefeweizen.

On the other side, people who like grapefruit soda might like this, as the smell and flavor hints from the Hefeweizen could add some kind of complexity to the very strong soda feel. (446 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -47.8%

It loosely resembles a hefe. There's a milky haze, a cloudiness to it. But mostly it looks like milky grapefruit juice. The head is bright white, has minimal retention, and really doesn't do it for me. It's an almost average rendition of a hefe.

I don't know how to describe the smell, but I don't care for it. There's no beery quality to it and it barely smells like grapefruit. There's a citrus rind scent, but that's about it.

Doesn't taste like any beer I've ever had, and I've had my fair share. It tastes more like sweet grapefruit juice. There's plenty of sugar in this and it really overwhelms everything else. That said, there is a citrus flavor, but again, too much sugar.

Very sweet, acidic. Light bodied. Fairly carbonated. Little body other than sugar. Little to no bitterness, though it's slightly tart.

Skip this. I struggle to consider this a beer, and it gives a bad name to hefeweizens. (909 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -43.4%

NOTE: I didn't know what I was drinking when I reviewed this

Pours very pale with a cloudy appearance. White, respectable head, leaves a thin-ish film, decent lacing but not great. Too many floaties.

Bizarre nose, like lemon squash, very sugary and fruity with a slight tang. Not beer-esque at all, this is completely anomalous drop that pretty much smells exactly like soft drink.

Again, very lemony with a slight tartness but mostly a candy sweetness that is like beer with sugar cubes dropped in it. Not pleasant, has no beer taste and is also watery. Mouthfeel is VERY thin.

This is piss in a glass, the puckering aspect is all there is to pique my interest. Obviously a chick beer, obviously a feeble attempt to call itself beer while actually tasting nothing like it. Fuck you, drink. (795 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A-Yikes. Pours akin to orange soda. Little, white cap of fizz sits atop the soft drink. Very hazy.

S-Big whiff of tangy, organic grapefruit. Natural grapefruit zestiness.

T-Grapefruit soda. Sweet and zesty. Doesn't taste like beer. Soda pop yo!

M-Soda, feels like a sugary soft drink.

O/D-Not beer to me. And apparently its only 2.5℅. Nope, nope, nope. This is not my cup of suds. This is what you'd see a German guy bring to a kids house on To Catch a Predator. Tastes like soda-pop...hooray. (499 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -25.5%

Expected much more from hefe Radler..
A - Really nice orange red grape color,also one finger white foam,big plus on this.
S - Grapefruit only.
T/M - Regular average Radler,nothing to special in it. Medium carbonation,a bit lower bitterness,which is plus. Mostly citrus and Grape.
O - Same as most Radlers.. (306 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

330ml bottle:

Pours a milky pale orange. small white cap some lacing.

Aroma distinctly citrus and not much else but some sweetness.

Thinish body, sweet citrus flavor, barely detectable malt presence, spritzy drying finish...tastes like grapefruit soda....far too sweet.

I tried it. I don't need to try it again..I can't see the point..fills a niche no one cares about.. (377 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -24.6%

Look like orange listerine, smells like barf, tastes sweet, sour and delicious. This is a nice transition beer to get kid sister off the stronger Mikes Hard Lemonade and into a nice beer gut inducing brew.

Bonus points. Show up any Blue Moon drinker. Bring a grapefruit and hunting knife to the party. Now you're garnishing like a man! (337 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -23.8%

Pours a clear dusky-orange in color, with some yeast suspension evident and a solidly-domed / rocky off-white head. Looks pretty good from the outset, but the color (even in the bottle) looks "fake" or artificial*.

On the nose there's just the merest hint of a light yeast tang and it hides behind walls of sweet, sugary citrus-drink confection. Reminds me of "Tang" or even "Five Alive." Grapefruit? Not so much. Really gotta get my nose down into the glass to smell anything resembling beer -- much less Hefeweizen.

On the first sip it's SWEET! Well, sweet alternating with a bitterness that I normally associate with various artificial sweeteners. An unnatural bitterness rather than a 'citrus peel' type of bitterness, which often works in some spiced and flavored beers (certain Belgian styles.)

There *is* a Hefe yeast profile coming up into the drink, here and there, but it really is clobbered by the sweetness and nondescript citrus fruit flavor. Again, it's not strictly a Grapefruit flavor, as there's heavy orange notes, and the sweetness is just over-the-top.

The touch of alcohol here is light, so 2.5% I can believe. There isn't much mouthfeel or body to go with this flavor profile, in fact it is watery and reminds me of an orange soda with ice cubes that have melted -- but it's still sweet...

I don't like giving bad reviews -and I have been generous in this respect, here- but this beer is really just not to my liking. I'd hardly call it a beer...

*Note: there is indeed artificial coloring (cochineal extract) and as far as the flavoring, I'll just have to imagine that there is something not 100% natural going on there, as with the sweetener. (1,672 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -20.8%

From a 330 ml clear bottle that came in a 6 pack. Pours out a cloudy light marmalade hue, fizzy white head that quickly sets to a thin cap.

Intense bright grapefruit juice on the nose, faint soft wheat malt in the background.

The flavour is predominantly that of sweet ruby red grapefruit juice, with some faint, very faint bready malt in the background. I happen to like grapefruit so it's enjoyable, however seems much more like carbonated juice, or a traditional fruit soda.

Mouthfeel is light and thin, the texture carries a bit of fullness from the wheat malt, while the carbonation is brisk and spritzy.

An okay lawnmower beer for those not very mechanically inclined and fearing the loss of their toes (as this a lightweight 2.5%), quenching all the same, but not something I plan on picking up again. A low-alcohol fruit radler for those into that sort of thing. (876 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Aroma: Very aggressive on the nose. Candied red grapefruit gives off a dominating tangy scent upfront, and subtle hefeweizen spice traits, and almost sickening sweetness in the background.

Appearance: Pale orange and hazy. One finger of pinkish-white head with minimum retention and soda style carbonation.

Taste: Unrelenting grapefruit sweetness, bread like tones, and subtle yeast spice. Small amounts of banana and clove but I am missing the wheat taste.

Palate: Light bodied and refreshing, but closer to a soda than a beer. Residual tongue stimulation from the grapefruit assault with a dry finish.

Overall: Pretty refreshing. A good session-able beer to enjoy by the pool during the summer months. (708 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -19.9%

not sure how this stuff is coming into prominence, i know the style is in, especially in the summer, but this is pretty rough stuff. i agree that the grapefruit side of it seems authentic, not artificial, but the thing is way too sweet, and its more of a juice than a beer, not much of the hefe coming through the orange juice textured beverage. i mean, this is almost pulpy in feel, beyond shandy, and the only part of the beer side i really get is the yeast, which exacerbates the fruity side. so much sugar on the back end, heavy in the gut, weirdly acidic, it just doesnt resolve like i hoped it would. ive been a fan of radler and shandy generally, we need more stuff like that, but this one is downright undrinkable. too sweet to be refreshing, but thats just my palate. as far away from beer as anything ive had marketed as such. (836 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy orange yellow with a huge frothy head of dense sparkling yellow bubbles. Very thick. Looks decent enough.

Huge grapefruit sparkling citrus character on the nose. Nothing else. Smells like soft drink, or a premix alcopop. Citrus, acidity, sugar. Not that that's necessarily bad, for what it is. It's just strong, weird and un-beerlike.

Thin alcopop sour-sweet flavour too, with a lingering wheat acidity that tastes surprisingly meaty after the sharp fruit-acid character. Grapefruit leaves a dollop of bitterness on the very back, but don't get me wrong, it's not a beer-like bitterness.

It's very refreshing, and easy to drink, of course, but it's an odd concoction. I'm happy enough to drink it on occasion though. (726 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -14.4%

Cloudy pink grapefruit juice with a medium sized white colored head.

Smells of grapefruit juice and banana with a bitter grapefruit twang.

Starts out bready beer with grapefruit. Grapefruit juice with some banana and some Hefeweizen yeast.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall an OK Radler. (282 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -14.4%

Provided to me for free by a very friendly representative from Binding-Brauerei recently. Freshness date is "2014.1." I would have never bought this myself, but I appreciate the chance to try it. Poured into a stange glass from a 12oz bottle.

Looks completely like an orange cream soda, complete with a similarly looking fizzy white head that somehow holds on to its dear life thanks to the stange glass. Bubbles glide up this thing in the same vein of soda, and otherwise, it's pretty watery looking and lacks any qualities that would make me think that this was a beer if served to me. I'm rating this for what it is, and definitely not to style. Not horrible, but pretty gimmicky looking.

The aroma is not as bad as expected - rather than being pelted with an artificial smelling fruit aroma with a cheaply made beer backbone, there are vibrant notes of fresh squeezed grapefruit, lime peel, and apricots. The hefeweizen surprisingly does seep in under the soda flavors, with notes of wheat and cereal grains, as well as a bit of tart characteristics. Very refreshing. Good quality ingredients were definitely used here.

The flavor coats the palate with notes of juicy grapefruit peel, as well as various other citrus notes and dried fruits, only to reveal the beer that lurks underneath. It tastes slightly artificial, but the wheat backbone, as well as the notes of bready yeastiness and lactic tart phenols save this from being a total disaster. I admit I really like the grapefruit flavor here, and it drinks just like a soda as a result. Extremely low in alcohol, refreshing, and spritzy in feel and body. Not the greatest, but not godawful by any means.

This reminds me a lot more of the same vein of Berliner Weissbiers rather than traditional hefeweizens. Come to think of it, a nicely tart low alcoholic beer would go quite well with grapefruit syrup, but this probably the subjectively better tasting one. This could do the trick out on the beach or at a picnic, although I'd probably just take an actual beer instead most of the time. This also, sadly enough, is a way that many of these breweries abroad have creeped into the American market - by sugarcoating their products with crazy flavorings such as this one. However, this at least avoids being totally artificial tasting, and as I result I recommend to all who are looking for some bizarre beer-related novelty every once in a while. (2,409 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -14.1%

This wasn't what I expected at all. The best attribute is its look, which is an amber and orange with a foamy head. Aroma is ok, mainly grapefruit. From there it goes downhill for me. It tastes like orange crush much less like grapefruit. I detected neither hops, wheat or any other beer flavors. The feel is light and easy. The low ABV gave me no buzz whatsoever. Despite its lightness, I cannot call it so drinkable because of the cloying artificial sweetness. Not for me. (474 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I really like grapefruit juice, but I thought this just tasted like orange. Alcohol too low to get a decent buzz. Felt more like an orange soda with a beer aftertaste. (167 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -13.8%

A - Deep cloudy dark orange colour, hardly any trace of a head, despite being classified as a hefe. Disappointing.

S - Artificial grapefruit and passionfruit flavoured wine gums, starbust, sherbert.

T - Really sweet, pasito, tonic water, slight honey and grapefruit. No wheat or other typical hefe flavours.

M - Light fizzy body, high carbonation.

O - More soft drink than beer, it's certainly not a hefeweizen. Very tasty though and very suitable for an afternoon in the sun. (480 characters)

330 ml bottle from the LCBO, seems interesting!

Pours a cloudy orange, tangerine/grapefruit kind of colour, thin white head forms, quickly settles to a thin ring, no lacing. Smell is weird, reminds me of a bathroom, grapefruit, oranges, yeast, wheat, bananas, spice, keeping me on my toes. Taste is very sweet, like grapefruit or orange juice, tangerines, some banana/clove weiss character, very sweet and sugary, almost a bitter rind feel to it. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium to high carbonation, feels like carbonated juice. On the sweet side, almost cloying. Pretty neat stuff but not really my cup of tea, little too sweet for my liking. (650 characters)

I do not particularly care for wheat beers. And until now I did not care for fruit in my beer either.

However, after having a few Shiners (seasonal brew with Texas ruby red grapefruit and ginger) at the end of a long day doing yard work... I have come to appreciate the added astringency of the grapefruit with hops (and the ginger, missing in the Schofferhofer anyway).

The store was out of Shiner so I thought this, Schofferhofer, would be a good substitute. Nothing tastes better than a cold beer after a long day doing yard work. Adding the refreshing taste of ruby red grapefruit is simply AWESOME.

But, the Schofferhofer is too sweet tasting (the wheat). I will return to the astringent taste of the Shiner (which is only a seasonal brew) when the store stocks back up. I understand the Schofferhofer is available year round. Well, in cold months I may not have the same appreciation. We'll see.

I finally found a fruit I like in my beer. (whodathunk... grapefruit!) (979 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -11.1%

330ml bottle poured into pint glass mar23 2011

A cloudy pale orange with a shitload of bubbles feeding a long lasting thumbs width of head that leaves a few random patches of lace

S grapefruit and orange candy, faint yeast and spice

T just a little bit of banana and almost a orange crush pop flavor without as much yeast as on the nose and just a little to sweet

M light but it feels more like juice or pop then anything else

O something different but unless there's a heat wave I can't see myself drinking many of these

something for my lady but not my thing, nothing offensive but I could take it or leave it (620 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -11.1%

A: The color is actually kinda cool, sorta glows amber yello but dull. the head is like non existent though, its weird

S: smack you in the face grapefruit, not like an ipa might "resemble" its like unsweetened bitter grapefruit almost sour very intense

T: yup grapefruit... not sweetened which i guess it need not be, but thats one tart fruit. doesnt much taste like a beer, more like a beer cooler?

I got this from my friend who is from germany. so i had to try it, but even he said its not considered the "creme dela creme" in germany so i think i will stick with that. Im sure their other styles are good, but this much fruit is too overpowering (659 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

After the runaway success of Stiegl's Grapefruit Radler last year, it's only natural that we'd see the large liquor stores around here with stacks of this stuff, an untested beer from an untested brewer (for the area, anyway). Hell, I've only seen the normal hefe in these parts, and that was only at a couple of random spots. Let's see if this stuff is worth the attention:

It pours a hazy straw-orange topped by a half-finger of rather short-lived off-white foam. The nose comprises sharp grapefruit zest. That's it. If there's any hefeweizen in there, I can't smell a lick of it. The taste brings in more of the same, now more of a grapefruit lemonade than anything, sweetener and all. The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a wet feel. Overall, this is a pretty weak beer, not altogether unpleasant, but a simple flash of grapefruit. If they hadn't told me there was a hefe base, I'd never have known. Hell, I think it was a waste of a hefeweizen, as all there was was grapefruit. It's not bad, but not my cup of tea. (1,082 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -10.6%

Everyone seemed to love this beer. To me, it tasted pretty much like a grapefruit soda pop. Nothing wrong with that, just isn’t something I’m going to rave about. (166 characters)

Schöfferhofer Grapefruit Weizen-Mix from Binding-Brauerei AG