Schöfferhofer Grapefruit Weizen-Mix - Binding-Brauerei AG

Schöfferhofer Grapefruit Weizen-MixSchöfferhofer Grapefruit Weizen-Mix

Binding-Brauerei AG visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  2.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Redwood21 on 02-19-2008)

4.61/5  rDev +34.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer really surprised me. I got a sample at The Wurst Place (Seattle) after I was told it was one of only 2 beers that have a permanent handle there out of 23 craft beers. 2.5%? Really? How good could it be? It was awesome. Well, that's IF you like grapefruit juice which I do. They called it their "breakfast beer". It poured a hazy, light pink/orange and seriously tasted just like grapefruit juice. I had a .5 litre in the Schöfferhofer glass and totally enjoyed it.

4.25/5  rDev +23.9%

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

3.69/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I picked this up at The Foodery (Northern Liberties) recently, but I was not in any great hurry to drink it while I still have my bottle backlog in existence. I reviewed Sixpoint's RAD the other day, however, and decided to press on with The CANQuest (TM).

From the CAN: "Grapefruit flavored wheat beer"; "Unfiltered Hefeweizen beer with grapefruit flavoring added and colored with cochineal extract"; "Schofferhofer Grapefruit is the unique combination of sparkling smooth Schofferhofer Hefeweizen with grapefruit flavoring. A refreshing well-rounded taste with tangy character and hints of sweetness. Tastes best ice-cold and right from the [CAN]. 50% of Schofferhofer unfiltered Hefeweizen blended with 50% Grapefruit drink. The natural ingredients may form a sediment at the bottom of the [CAN]."

The Crack was more muted than usual, plus it was not brimful and I wanted to stir up any lees, so I used an CANtinal agitation for my pour. I got a dense, foamy finger of pinkish-white head (not meant to invoke the teachings of the Church of the Subgenius, BTW) with decent retention. Color was a murky pinkish-orange (SRM = N/A). Nose was very sweet, much sweeter than RAD's, softer, fruitier. I got the grapefruit, but it was overlain by a syrupy sweetness. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and while I will not dispute "tangy", it had nowhere near the bite of RAD. Here, the grapefruit was intertwined with a sweetness like fruit salad, undoubtedly from the Hefeweizen. Finish was semi-dry with the grapefruit piercing through at the extreme finish, but rendered muted by the Hefeweizen. This struck me as more drinkable than RAD, but it still was not really my cup of tea.

Schöfferhofer Grapefruit Weizen-Mix from Binding-Brauerei AG