Schöfferhofer Grapefruit Weizen-Mix - Binding-Brauerei AG

Schöfferhofer Grapefruit Weizen-MixSchöfferhofer Grapefruit Weizen-Mix

Binding-Brauerei AG visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  2.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Redwood21 on 02-19-2008)

3.68/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.2% abv by weight as listed on the label that may come out to 2.5% abv let me check my math. Appears a glowing orange hue in the glass, bright white head stays pretty resilient with high carbonation I'm guessing this is marketed toward bicyclists and women in Germany. Aroma has straight up sugared grapefruit peel notes, just like slicing into a grapefruit in the AM for the breakfast option sprinkled with some sugar to make it more palatable. Flavor sugar coated grapefruit soda with really pith and peel notes coming out definitely dries out as the sweetness fades with the bitterness from the rind, pith, and peel of actual grapefruits probably harmed in the making of this beer. Good thing I popped a Prilosec earlier and I've noticed that I started a regimen of proton pump inhibitors in the last few weeks. Citric notes kill in this beer it's a mimosa bottled up with grapefruit zest character throughout even the essential oils were bottled in this beer. Enough sugar was added but this is definite real grapefruit juice and others parts added, mouthfeel brings sturdy carbonation a tart citric juice finish with the zest adding to the balance. Overall well done not as wretched as I would expect from such a beer, but I'm good for one and done not much of a session ale or you'll be puking grapefruit zest out your nares just do to the actual sugar content added to this Grapefruit hefeweizen from Schofferhofer!

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

3.26/5  rDev -5%

2.5/5  rDev -27.1%

2.5/5  rDev -27.1%

2.68/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Aroma: Very aggressive on the nose. Candied red grapefruit gives off a dominating tangy scent upfront, and subtle hefeweizen spice traits, and almost sickening sweetness in the background.

Appearance: Pale orange and hazy. One finger of pinkish-white head with minimum retention and soda style carbonation.

Taste: Unrelenting grapefruit sweetness, bread like tones, and subtle yeast spice. Small amounts of banana and clove but I am missing the wheat taste.

Palate: Light bodied and refreshing, but closer to a soda than a beer. Residual tongue stimulation from the grapefruit assault with a dry finish.

Overall: Pretty refreshing. A good session-able beer to enjoy by the pool during the summer months.

I do not particularly care for wheat beers. And until now I did not care for fruit in my beer either.

However, after having a few Shiners (seasonal brew with Texas ruby red grapefruit and ginger) at the end of a long day doing yard work... I have come to appreciate the added astringency of the grapefruit with hops (and the ginger, missing in the Schofferhofer anyway).

The store was out of Shiner so I thought this, Schofferhofer, would be a good substitute. Nothing tastes better than a cold beer after a long day doing yard work. Adding the refreshing taste of ruby red grapefruit is simply AWESOME.

But, the Schofferhofer is too sweet tasting (the wheat). I will return to the astringent taste of the Shiner (which is only a seasonal brew) when the store stocks back up. I understand the Schofferhofer is available year round. Well, in cold months I may not have the same appreciation. We'll see.

I finally found a fruit I like in my beer. (whodathunk... grapefruit!)

4.58/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Loved this beer! After I finished the first 6-pack, I went back to Joe's produce, and bought the rest of their stock. They informed me that there would be no additional shipments from Germany. I am now scouring the other stores in my area! Excellent summer beer!

Schöfferhofer Grapefruit Weizen-Mix from Binding-Brauerei AG