Clausthaler Premium - Binding-Brauerei AG

poor

Binding-Brauerei AG visit their website
Germany

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.45% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-01-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Clausthaler Premium Alström Bros

Mooseafer, May 07, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +60.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Light yellow-ish gold with a full creamy pillowy white head, nice carbonation, and decent lace. Spicy malt and spicy pine hop aroma and flavor. Much different profile and much more robust than the American macro versions of N/A beers. Medium bodied, smooth and creamy with a spicy dry finish.

Reminds me of Beck's a bit ... very nice for an N/A and by far my favorite one. You'd almost swear you were drinking a true German Pilsner. Had to give this one props for drinkability.

Per label: "Water, barley malt, hops, yeast".
92 cal., 18.8g carb., 1.4 g prot., 0 fat.

Best Before (end of): 01/07
Tasted: 01/08/06

($6.08 / 6-pack)

RBorsato, Feb 02, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +55.1%

I found out last week that my gall bladder has to be removed. It's still going to be a few weeks until my surgery and until then I've decided to avoid full-stength beers and try some non-alcoholic beers. The first is Clausthaler.

When this beer is poured into a glass it certainly looks very appealing. It looks like a true German pilsner with a delicate, rocky head. The similaritites change a bit once I take a sniff of the contents of my glass. The faint trace of hops is blown away by a sort of cereal grain aroma that is reminiscent of fresh unfermented beer. I guess this makes a bit a sense seeing that this beer has so little alcohol. I take the first sip, and suddenly I'm drinking a pretty darn good German pilsner. The malt flavor is crisp and fresh. There's actually a bit of spicy hop flavor and a bitter finish. There is a bit of a slick sweetness, but by far this is the best non-alcoholic beer I've tasted.

(Please note I've rated this beer compared to other non-alcoholic brews.)

marcobrau, Apr 16, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +53.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Clausthaler NA pours a light golden amber from a 12oz green glass bottle.
Head goes well over two fingers and lasts for some time before fading to a white blanket of foam with nice lace around the glass.

Nose is a pleasant damp barley malt with nice sweet notes followed by just a faint whiff of hops.

Drinking from the glass brings the taste of wounderful toasted barley malt with a well balanced bittering of hops. The carbonation levels are just right, not too fizzy like a soda pop or some other NA’s, this ones right on the money.

Clausthaler NA offers lots of toasted malt with a good amount of bitter hops to make this brew a winner in my book.

BeerBob, Apr 08, 2004
4.2/5  rDev +46.3%

12oz bottle served in a pilsner glass.

L - clear bright yellow with a very tall white head that had good retention and left a few spots of lacing.
S - classic German lager aroma, sweet malts and Euro-hops.
T - taste is light, crisp and refreshing and that of a good German brew.
F - lighter bodied with a zesty feel.
D - extremely drinkable for a refreshing beer drinking experience without a big buzz...
and it's low in calories to boot!

JoeyBeerBelly, Jul 08, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +37.6%

I am going to be drinking a number of N-A and low-alcohol beers today since I really tore myself up last weekend and I want to balance things out. I will try to be as objective as possible.

From the bottle: "A non-alcoholic malt beverage made the way malt beverages have been made in Germany for centuries. Genuine, pure and natural. Clausthaler is brewed according to the law that's as unique as this beverage. The purest ingredients must be used - water, barley malt, hops, yeast - nothing else. Clausthaler, pure and clean with German taste."

My pour resulted in a finger of rocky bone-white head with limited retention. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a strong presence of Saaz and some underlying malt. Mouthfeel was medium with a good balancing of hops and malt on the tongue. Finish was really hoppy, surprisingly so. It started out a little watery, but I think that if I either closed my eyes or had it presented to me blindly, I would not think that I were drinking an N.A. beer. This is mighty impressive and I would recommend it to anyone that is after a tasty N.A. beer. Yes, such people do exist.

woodychandler, Mar 27, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +37.6%

This beir has a wonderful bitterness, very like a NA pilsner! ... colour is light golden yellow .. low no head, but some sparse lacing .. Has a wonderful flavour to it, grassy and crisp! .. One of the nicer Non-Alcoholics!!! Clausthaler seems to know how to do NA's!!

Onslow, May 10, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +32.4%

A= pours a bright yellow color with a two inch head that has a little retention due to the bubbles rising up to replenish it and some spotty lacing can be seen.
S= grains mostly with a weird medicinal sort or chalkyt smell. I'm really not sure how to describe it. Maybe a little mothbally.
T= grains and water mostly. Sweet wort taste like unfermented beer which is what this is I suppose. A slight hop bite brushes the back of my tongue.
M= light and refreshing.
D= well its a nonalcoholic beer. I suppose it doesn't get much more drinkable.

jjanega08, Jun 27, 2009
3.79/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

(best by 04/20/2015 - poured into a fluted pilsner glass)

A: rocky, broken-silky, white foam atop a very pale, gold-tinged canary yellow... clear liquid... actually, decent number of messy lace rings

S: quite nakedly grainy, day old dinner rolls, dune grass... seems apparent something's missing (esters, medicinal-ity) - malt foundation comes to the fore, has more of a basic husky, wort smell - smells pre-fermented

T: interesting... little sweetness, if any - actually, it's keep mostly in check by a fairly assertive portion of dry, green-grassy bitterness... perhaps a nuance of toasted white bread... actually, a substantial flavor of pilsner malt kernels, a quality reminiscent of a pale malta beverage... aftertaste of spicy hay and multigrain cracker, no residual sweetness

M: somewhat smooth with light-moderate malty roundness... finishes somewhat clean and pretty dry - does feel like some residual sugars are left over, trailing down the palate

O: I kept drinking it till the end... reminded me too much of Malta Goya when all was said and done - and I love that shit!... sort of beer-like flavors going on, but you can tell something's up with it... all-in-all, I'd recommend this, but with the caveat that it tastes like a beer-flavored soft drink

Bouleboubier, May 24, 2014
3.71/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours and smells like a premium Euro lager--think along the lines of a fresh Carlsberg. Not quite as saazy as, say, Urquell, but still more going on than what you'd get from Heineken or Stella.

Tastes like a good Euro lager up front. Weedy malt, bitterdry hops, a pleasant kick of skunk. The back end drops off considerably--not much by way of yeast, understandably. But then a nice weedy and skunky aftertaste lingers for a while.

I don't know what so many people have against NA beer. There's plenty of times when I'd love to drink something beer-like but because of personal or professional obligations I can't work up a buzz. This is is very tasty. If drinking it didn't make me look like a recovering alcoholic, I'd have it way more often.

mynie, Sep 29, 2013
3.6/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I usually drink Beck's NA as my NA beer of choice but this is a much better attempt to recreate a german Pils. Good hop nose and a decent full midbody help you beleive that this is regular beer. I will buy this again when the need arises to have no alcohol but still want beer taste.

canucklehead, Jul 02, 2005

(Served in a strange)

A- This beer has a crystal clear straw yellow body with a thick creamy white head that last and last. The carbonation is a strong stream of tiny bubbles.

S- For the first time ever I detect a strong tomato smell in the beer. As I keep breathing in the aroma it starts to smell more and more like pale malt wort with no hops. But I still have tomato stuck in my head. It's not really offensive but then again I like tomatoes.

T- The taste of chewing fresh pale malt from the mill comes through with a very soft noble hops. The really fresh grain comes through very nicely and is still impressive. After the finish there is a strong bitter hop flavor that hangs in the back of the throat but is not really noticed on the taste buds.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel but it is more due to the fizz that it taste more full. No alcohol warmth noticed in this one.

D- Once I get past the tomato this has some nice distinct grain flavors with a little hops but it could use more.

rhoadsrage, Feb 28, 2006
3.55/5  rDev +23.7%

Clear gold with a small white head. Spotty Lacing.
Smell is light herbal and floral hops.
Taste is sweet bready malt and bitter euro hops. Quite full flavored in the world of N/A beer.
Mouthfeel is well carbonated and full bodied.
Overall one of the best of this type.
From a green bottle with a best by date of 102013. Long shelf life!

Spikester, Jan 10, 2013
3.55/5  rDev +23.7%

NOTE - this is reviewed against other NA's and not against other beers. Pours a golden colour with a stark white head. No lacing. The smell has a bit of the typical sweet smell of an NA, but there are also some traces of hops. Taste is very good for the style.. A bit of sweetness, but enough hop during the middle to not make this as sweet as other NA's such as Odouls or Sharps. Finishes crisper than most any NA I have had. Good non obtrusive carbonation, and like most NA's they are very easy drinking. Very non offensive NA. If i had to go somewhere and be a designated driver, I might just bring a sixer of this as it was fairly enjoyable to drink.

Thanks to my distributor for the sample of this and DAB low carb- lord knows i wouldnt have bought them on my own.

TinusTime, Apr 19, 2004
3.5/5  rDev +22%

I am rating this to style, which I'm not exactly sure everyone who rates this has done, but here we go:

A: Bubbly, pale straw-yellow with a large foamy head; decent retention and lacing

S: There's a certain level of skunk but also grass, grains, lemon, tea--sweet lemon tea; most importantly this actually smells like a beer which is saying a lot for most of the N/A beers I have tried

T: Crisp European lager up front with faint citrus and some bready and grassy grains; it all fades rather quickly but I'm not picking up on the skunkiness from the aromas

F: A bit thin, which is to be expected but there is enough residual beer left in the mouth to make this work

O: This is what a N/A beer should be; it tastes like beer; it's well made, and it's refreshing; this is the beer I will "pound" when I want to "pound" beer

dbossman, Jun 05, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +22%

well this should remind me of checking what im buying, not just grabbing something new for the sake of it. does explain the low low price.

same label as the pic, just a brown bottle. best before 04/07.

generic fizzy yellow beer, with medium high carbonation. white smallish head. leaves some light lacing.

aroma is surprising. definite hoppiness there. has the euro pale lager aroma down pat. well at least a better than average version of it. tends toward sweeter malt as it warms. also keep getting some breakfast cereal in the background. maybe just that im a cereal junkie, but its there for me anyway.

taste is light and crisp at first. probably just the higher carbonation helping keep it lively but its not bad. light bitterness, but certainly not too sweet.

easy to drink quickly, which i think is best, at .5%abv. i know we dont want to judge beer when its too cold, but here i think its more appropriate. the sharp crisp character is this beers strong suit, and it loses it quickly as it warms.

joecast, Mar 25, 2006
3.5/5  rDev +22%

A - Very clear golden color, a 1-inch white head and some beautiful lace.

S - Smells like fresh malted barley, or maybe like I stuck my head inside a bag of dry malt extract. There is also some tomato soup in there.

T - This tastes like a grabbed a handful of pale malt and started snacking. I do that sometimes so this is a pretty nice taste. No crunch of barley kernels though so it's not as satisfying. This isn't nearly as sweet as I expected from an NA, so I am very impressed. There is some decent balance here.

D - Honestly this is an easy drinking NA. I would highly recommend this to any DD at a bar where it was available. Not something I would drink normally but if the doc said I couldn't drink alcohol anymore then this would find its way into my fridge occasionally.

SuperSpy, Oct 23, 2006

MattTastrophee, Feb 13, 2014

carlitosbronson1, Apr 05, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +22%

The bottle is green, so I was expecting the accursed skunk. Big surprise, it didn't seem lightstruck!

Pours a tad deeper yellow than most Non-Alchohol brews. Decent, but short lived head, a little lacing. It does have a hint of hops in the nose, and the taste is more "beery". That is; a touch of pale malt is noticible. This is overall not that bad, a good choice for those times you can not drink the real deal!

CaptJackHarkness, Oct 19, 2011

LiquidSanity, Feb 02, 2012
3.45/5  rDev +20.2%

Appearance: Heavy white foam and lacing on the glass. Straw yellow with a bit of carbonation.

Smell: Sweet, wet hay. A bit like a skunky Euro lager of pilsener.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Sweet caramel with a generic hop bitterness. I did not expect this much flavor. Mouthfeel is also crisp in the head and smooth in the finish.

Overall Drinkability: This is easily the best NA beer I've ever had. Granted, that is not saying much at all, but this is genuinely a pretty good beer.

tjsdomer2, Nov 13, 2012
3.43/5  rDev +19.5%

Doing a low class bad beer Thursday side-by-side with the two Clausthaler beers, the Premium and the Golden amber. Beer is yellow and clear with a thin white head of small and medium bubbles and moderate carbonation. Looks like a pilsner.

Aroma is slightly sulfury and mildly sweet. I hope its not skunky.

Hmmm....kind of tastes like beer. This is probably the best NA beer I've ever had. Its medium to light in body, got some nice graininess in there and finishes cleanly. There is a mild sulfurish taste to it, but its no worse than a mediocre pilsner that was stored incorrectly. I don't think I'll have it again unless I need a liver transplant but its good to know this beer exists. It's the first example I've drank more than 2 ounces of before pouring it out.

drabmuh, Nov 04, 2010
3.4/5  rDev +18.5%

My first ever NA beer looks very inviting with a shiny gold luster and a thin, brittle, white head. Aromas are sweet and musty. Here we go, down the hatch. Damn! Not foul at all. I'm impressed. This is extremely light with very thin malt base and a big artificial fruit characer Kind of like someone steeped a red fruit-roll-up in it. That blends suprisingly well with a metallic finish. This is not a great beer, but I'm not spitting it out like I expected to. Its very drinkable, even if that is attributable to its wateriness.

JudgeRoughneck, Mar 10, 2006
3.38/5  rDev +17.8%

Brilliant golden hue, smallish white head with poor retention. No lace. The nose was hampered greatly because this sample seems to be lightstruck. But, hey, if they sell them in green bottles what can you expect? Oily, some hops are present on the palate, leafy… grassy, some malt. Very easy to drink and refreshing. Medium-light body. The lack of alcohol doesn’t seem to be bothersome. Clausthaler Premium is a good brew; recommend for anyone who needs to drink “near beer”.

bditty187, Jan 10, 2003