Clausthaler Premium - Binding-Brauerei AG

Binding-Brauerei AG visit their website
Germany

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.45% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-01-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Clausthaler Premium Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
2.71/5  rDev -7.5%

Bought locally (Grapevine refrigerated shelves), a couple of weeks in my fridge, reviewed 45F-55F.

A nice, clumpy white head with sticky lacing. A slightly amber gold beer.

The nose is skunky with some corn. I actually don't mind a little skunking in an NA. The front is dusty, the middle corny, the finish slightly sour. This is an ok NA, but I like their amber quite a bit more. (386 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -6.8%

Appearance: The pour is golden with a large white head that gets smaller, but lasts until the last sip.

Smell: The nose has strangely sweet-doughy malts, and hops.

Taste: There are the weird sweet-doughy malts, grains, vegetable soup, and noble hops. It's like a light export lager with corn-syrup.

[Edit] rhoadsrage is absolutely right. There is definitely a light tomato flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with soft carbonation.

Drinkability: I can't know unless it really happens, but if for some reason I couldn't drink alcohol, I don't know that I would turn to this stuff too often. I would certainly drink a lot of beverages over this in that future and it's the flavor, not the lack of booze. (706 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -3.8%

pours clear golden yellow with a 2 finger head that left some lacing

smells like a beer mostly cereal grains tiny bit of hops

taste is all grains with a bad aftertaste that i cant put my finger on

mouthfeel is ok - has decent carbonation and was nice and light

drinkability is so so just like the taste - if you really need that somewhat beer flavor without the alcohol its ok but i would rather drink something i enjoy diet dew (433 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -1.4%

Just got my wisdom teeth out so im off the beer for a few days but wanted something for watching the champions league final.

This poured a transparent straw colour with a head which quickly died down to nothing.

The smell is sweet and malty with just the suggestion of hops.

The taste is sweeter than regular beer,with a kind of bready taste.

The mouth feel is very light with medium carbonation.

Overall not too bad considering its non alcoholic. If it wasn't so sweet it would be fairly decent. (501 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -0.3%

12 ouncer sampled (my father-in-law left a few bottles on his last visit) Time to give it a try. Pours light golden, witha white decent looking head, even leaves some light well developed lacing. no nose that I could pick up. Light malty brew, medium bodied and easy to quaff. Not much flavor or interest, but at the same time no nasty off flavors present. For what its worth, I'd rather drink this then Bud and its ilk. Probably better for ya as well. (452 characters)

2.97/5  rDev +1.4%

My brother brought these over for tonights B-B-Q.

Poured a light golden color with an averaged sized white head. Aromas of grass - reminded me a little of a Pilsner. Tastes of light hops mixed in with a light malty sweetness. As far as the Low Alcohol beers I've had, this one was just as drinkable (if not more) as any of them.

Notes from: 7/3/05 (350 characters)

From Carrefour Camas. Shared with my wife while launching rice with meat. Passable for a low alcohol beer, but doesnt deserve the fame of being the best low alcohol beer of 2013 that ts label brags about (203 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +4.1%

12 oz bottle purchased at Malloy's Finest Wines and Spirits in Chicago. Poured into my 32oz mug

a: pale yellowish collor, direct pour revealed a 1/2" head that didn't last long with some small lacing.

s: skunky, adjuncts, malt and some faint hops

t: bready malt, corn, some hop bitterness on the finish

m: crisp, light-medium body, bubbly carbonation and bite

o: wow. This beer isn't available where I live in Alabama -- found this gem on a business trip in Chicago. There is alot more complex flavor here than I've had in a NA beer, and could kick some macro lagers in their ass.

I am reviewing this on the NA curve, as I would with any other beer that's not my "style". This is king of the NA beers! (708 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +5.1%

A: Pale straw color with a soapy white head and marginal carbonation. Good clarity and decent head retention.

S: Smells like a very week Euro Lager. Faint maltiness and that's about it.

T: Surprisingly beer-like for an NA beer. Dry malt up front followed by a fair amount of bitterness relative toit. Clean and crisp. Overall, this is a mild flavored beer that doesn't offend.

M: Super-light body is a bit too fizzy.

D: Good for what it is. Not something I would buy personally, but a good take on the style. (512 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +5.8%

Bottle from Trader Joe's.

Poured light pale color with an average frothy white head that diminished slowly with fair lacing.

Light sweet grainy aroma.

Light to medium body with soft carbonation.

Medium sweet syrupy flavor with a medium sweet finish of short duration.

Good for a low alcohol beer. (301 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +6.8%

12 ounce bottle, best by end of 09/08. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours a clear light gold color with a half inch white head. Head retention and lacing is average. It smells like sweet malt and dough/bread. No hops that I can notice. The aroma is sweet, and non-offensive. No "off" or skunky aromas. The taste is the same as the aroma, bready and sweet. A little bit too sweet for my taste. With that being said, it doesn't taste bad, I've certainly drank worse beers (yeah, I know this is non-alcoholic). Mouthfeel/body is light, it's thin but crisp. Drinkability is OK, it's not hard to drink at all. If I was somewhere that only had NA beers, I'd drink it again. For the style I think it's decent. (712 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +6.8%

The beer poured a golden straw color. The head was white, but fell quickly.

The aroma when first poured was a little skunky due to the green glass. That aroma faded into saaz hops and a malty aroma.

The flavor was crisp and malty with a slight sweetness. There is a substantial bitterness is the flavor, but it doesn't seem natural, more of an additive. Also in the back of the flavor is a slight sour note.

The finish was dry and just bitter. The body was medium light.

Talk about a light beer...25 calories. Oddly enough I found it pretty refreshing and probably would keep a sixer around to consume on hot days when you really don't want a ton of alcohol but you want something refreshing.

12 ounce green bottle. (730 characters)

3.14/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Clear bright gold, very bubbly, quarter finger rocky head.

S- Very grainy and bready with some noble hop notes in the background.

T- Slightly sweet malt taste up front which gets "grainy" towards the middle. Very faint hop finish.

M- Quite fizzy, but otherwise pretty smooth.

D- Well I guess if there's no alcohol in this I could just keep going.

True, non-alcoholic beers kinda suck. However this is cleary the best one out there. I would also drink this over bud light. It's nice to know that if my liver takes a shit on me, I can at least have this. (560 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +9.2%

This is by far the best NA beer I've had. But to re-visit the point: why bother? It pours well with a nice golden color. Tastes hoppy and is on the sweet side. A very smooth beer. Nice beer to have while on the porch and chatting. Good move if you are the designated driver. Other than that, leave it alone. (307 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +10.9%

Clear medium golden color with a fairly large snow-white head, slight carbonation and decent lace. Aroma of unfermented wort (a strong caramel and toffee note) and some hops. Taste begins with substantial and slightly malt flavor, followed by generous amounts of hops. The hops nicely balance out the excessive sweetness of the malt, giving this beer a crisp and clean finish. The mouth feel is quite respectable, even for a conventional beer. This is among the very best of the several NA beers that I have tried. (514 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +11.3%

A: Pours a crystal clear light yellow with light amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a half finger tall white head which dissipates quickly leaving a very thin layer of bubbles across the surface. This beer exhibits significant amounts of lacing.

S: The aroma is slightly skunky with some grains and honey sweetness present as well.

T: Flavors are cereal grains and honey sweetness, could probably use just a touch of bitterness for balance but really a big and enjoyable flavor.

M: Light bodied with low to moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: This is definitely the best tasting low alcohol beer that I have ever experienced, if this was a blind taste test I'm sure I would not be able to tell this was essentially alcohol free. I really enjoyed the flavor. (771 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks: pale straw yellow, brilliantly clear. A light foamy head with a reasonable staying power. Left a thin but interesting lacing.

Sweet and gingery aroma, with some interesting hops.

Flavour was a little flat, but not bad. Nicely bitter, again a bit gingery. Some malt was apparent but not overwhelming. This actually was a fairly interesting beer. The mouthfeel was decent, and overall it's reasonably drinkable.

Not bad for a near beer. :) (455 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +13.7%

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin bright white head that consistently left a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface along with some lacing running down the sides of the glass.
S: There are light aromas of bready malts in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and has some flavors of bready malts. There are some hints of malty sweetness and a very slight amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is quite good and drinkable for being non-alcoholic and shares a lot of similarities with a German Pilsener, except that it has less bitterness and no dryness. (737 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +14.3%

Brilliant golden hue, smallish white head with poor retention. No lace. The nose was hampered greatly because this sample seems to be lightstruck. But, hey, if they sell them in green bottles what can you expect? Oily, some hops are present on the palate, leafy… grassy, some malt. Very easy to drink and refreshing. Medium-light body. The lack of alcohol doesn’t seem to be bothersome. Clausthaler Premium is a good brew; recommend for anyone who needs to drink “near beer”. (479 characters)

3.41/5  rDev +16.4%

Doing a low class bad beer Thursday side-by-side with the two Clausthaler beers, the Premium and the Golden amber. Beer is yellow and clear with a thin white head of small and medium bubbles and moderate carbonation. Looks like a pilsner.

Aroma is slightly sulfury and mildly sweet. I hope its not skunky.

Hmmm....kind of tastes like beer. This is probably the best NA beer I've ever had. Its medium to light in body, got some nice graininess in there and finishes cleanly. There is a mild sulfurish taste to it, but its no worse than a mediocre pilsner that was stored incorrectly. I don't think I'll have it again unless I need a liver transplant but its good to know this beer exists. It's the first example I've drank more than 2 ounces of before pouring it out. (768 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +16.7%

My first ever NA beer looks very inviting with a shiny gold luster and a thin, brittle, white head. Aromas are sweet and musty. Here we go, down the hatch. Damn! Not foul at all. I'm impressed. This is extremely light with very thin malt base and a big artificial fruit characer Kind of like someone steeped a red fruit-roll-up in it. That blends suprisingly well with a metallic finish. This is not a great beer, but I'm not spitting it out like I expected to. Its very drinkable, even if that is attributable to its wateriness. (529 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +17.1%

Appearance: Heavy white foam and lacing on the glass. Straw yellow with a bit of carbonation.

Smell: Sweet, wet hay. A bit like a skunky Euro lager of pilsener.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Sweet caramel with a generic hop bitterness. I did not expect this much flavor. Mouthfeel is also crisp in the head and smooth in the finish.

Overall Drinkability: This is easily the best NA beer I've ever had. Granted, that is not saying much at all, but this is genuinely a pretty good beer. (474 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +17.4%

A - Very clear golden color, a 1-inch white head and some beautiful lace.

S - Smells like fresh malted barley, or maybe like I stuck my head inside a bag of dry malt extract. There is also some tomato soup in there.

T - This tastes like a grabbed a handful of pale malt and started snacking. I do that sometimes so this is a pretty nice taste. No crunch of barley kernels though so it's not as satisfying. This isn't nearly as sweet as I expected from an NA, so I am very impressed. There is some decent balance here.

D - Honestly this is an easy drinking NA. I would highly recommend this to any DD at a bar where it was available. Not something I would drink normally but if the doc said I couldn't drink alcohol anymore then this would find its way into my fridge occasionally. (785 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +18.8%

NOTE - this is reviewed against other NA's and not against other beers. Pours a golden colour with a stark white head. No lacing. The smell has a bit of the typical sweet smell of an NA, but there are also some traces of hops. Taste is very good for the style.. A bit of sweetness, but enough hop during the middle to not make this as sweet as other NA's such as Odouls or Sharps. Finishes crisper than most any NA I have had. Good non obtrusive carbonation, and like most NA's they are very easy drinking. Very non offensive NA. If i had to go somewhere and be a designated driver, I might just bring a sixer of this as it was fairly enjoyable to drink.

Thanks to my distributor for the sample of this and DAB low carb- lord knows i wouldnt have bought them on my own. (773 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +19.1%

(Served in a strange)

A- This beer has a crystal clear straw yellow body with a thick creamy white head that last and last. The carbonation is a strong stream of tiny bubbles.

S- For the first time ever I detect a strong tomato smell in the beer. As I keep breathing in the aroma it starts to smell more and more like pale malt wort with no hops. But I still have tomato stuck in my head. It's not really offensive but then again I like tomatoes.

T- The taste of chewing fresh pale malt from the mill comes through with a very soft noble hops. The really fresh grain comes through very nicely and is still impressive. After the finish there is a strong bitter hop flavor that hangs in the back of the throat but is not really noticed on the taste buds.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel but it is more due to the fizz that it taste more full. No alcohol warmth noticed in this one.

D- Once I get past the tomato this has some nice distinct grain flavors with a little hops but it could use more. (1,016 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast