The Wake - Bluejacket / Arsenal Restaurant

Bluejacket / Arsenal Restaurant visit their website
District of Columbia, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

Beer added by: nmann08 on 10-30-2013

Dark & Seductive Imperial Stout Brewed with 10% Flaked Oats + 6 Different Malts; Silky Palate of Dark Chocolate, Roasted Nuts, Burnt Caramel & a Long, Insistent Finish of Freshly Drawn Espresso.
Ratings: 25 | Reviews: 2
Reviews by grover37:
4.01/5  rDev +4.4%

From 10/17/14 notes. On cask at the brewpub in DC.

Pours a deep brown, almost black color, with one inch of dark tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Coffee, sweet chocolate, toasted malts, taste has a lot of bitter chocolate and hops, and caramel malts. Medium body and low carbonation, easy to drink.

Overall I liked this one a lot; awesome nose especially. Worth checking out.

4.14/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Can't believe 19 ratings and 0 reviews. I will do my best:

A: black, with tan head, soapy small-to-mid bubbles that ring the glass and cover the surface decently well
S: standard and expected coffee, espresso, chocolate notes. Not overpowering, but well represented
T: being cask, not surprising it's very smooth. It actually starts with a slight bite of tartness. After that comes the sweeter notes from the malt, but not so much roast notes as I would expect. I get a cane sugar feel, maybe a touch of coconut. I must say the specific sweetness profile does remind me of some well respected imperial stouts.
M: where the beer falls off from being world class is in the depth and to a degree, the feel. Again, being cask might affect this, but there is a slight lack of alcohol or hops bite to intrigue me at the end of the taste.
O: I really enjoyed this beer, and am going to flag it to try again, if I can.

The Wake from Bluejacket / Arsenal Restaurant