Punkel Dunkel Pumpkin Wheat Ale - Neshaminy Creek Brewing Company

Neshaminy Creek Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: xnicknj on 09-12-2013)
Reviews by GuinnessAtRogerWilco:
3.78/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22oz bomber that just arrived at my store today. I'm a fan of Dunkel's and have never had a Pumpkin Dunkel before so I had to grab a bottle to try myself. Poured into a Blue Moon 22oz Weizen glass.

AP: Rusty brown colour and hazy as a good Dunkel should be. Some orange hues mixed in for some pleasing highlights. Only got a 1/2" white head which fizzled down to a dusting across the surface with moderate lacing on the sides.
AR: The classic aromas of banana , bubblegum and clove spice along with some caramel and toffee with subtle hints of dark fruits like cherry (dark) and fig. Mellow baking spice scents linger in the background, but I don't get any pumpkin aroma.
T: To me this pretty much tastes like a nice Dunkel and not a Pumpkin Dunkel as I'm not getting any pumpkin flavour in the taste. The Autumn baking spices of allspice, nutmeg and cinnamon make a cameo at the beginning and then give way to the classic Dunkel flavours. The rest of it is a good solid Dunkel with all the aromas present in the taste with bubblegum and dark cherry really standing out to me. One bright note is I get a little bit of pie crust at the beginning with the baking spices, just no pumpkin to speak of. I don't know if the true flavours of the Dunkel are masking a very faint pumpkin taste or if it's just not there to begin with. Hard to score this one because it is a solid Dunkel but I am disappointed with the lack of pumpkin. Another plus is that the 8.8% ABV is well hidden. I'd swear this is a typical 5% Dunkel. As it warms the baking spices carry through to the finish for a nice touch.
M: Moderate carbonation, decent creamy mouthfeel, moist enough on the tongue before leaving an off dry finish.
OV: A rather good Dunkel for the base of this beer, the spices stand out more as it warms but I still have yet to ascertain any pumpkin flavour from this which is flat out disappointing. I wasn't expecting a lot of pumpkin flavour, but was so looking forward to it adding a subtle note of depth to the already existing classic Dunkel flavours. I've had loads of Pumpkin beers so I know what to look for and it just wasn't here. It does make me want to try their regular Dunkel, however. If it had just a hint of pumpkin to the banana, bubblegum and dark fruits this would have been at least a 4.25 taste rating for me.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

The picture on the label says it all. This is the weizenbocks of pumpkin ales. Intense flavor of caramel, vanilla, pumpkin, spice and and a lingering banana finish, When I opened the bottle the room smelled like banana cream pie. The actual aroma on closer inspection is sweet pumpkin pie, once the fruity esters dissipate after airing. Over 1/8 inch of yeast sediment makes it very cloudy. Overall, an outstanding, creative beer which blends two of my favorite styes, weizenbock and pumpkin ale. I will be searching this out again as it is now my favorite pumpkin beer.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

4.25/5  rDev +6%

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Muddy tarnished amber hue. About a finger of tight white head clings to the glass. Nose is simply amazing, pumpkin pie, vanilla, sweet yeasty notes clove and cardamon. Really smells like fresh pumpkin pie.

A really good beer. I was hoping for more of the weizen yeast to come forward but without still a fantastic brew. Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation but with a very full mouthfeel. Starts with pure pumpkin flavor on the tip of the tongue followed by all the spices that bring out the sweetness of pumpkins along the mid palate. Lots of cinnamon and nutmeg and the malt presence almost brings about a vanilla taste. Finishes with a dry spiciness and an underlying hop bitterness.

Mostly pumpkin and spice flavored with the faintest touch of sweetness thats quickly swept away. Definitely showcases true pumpkin flavor along with the spices that go with it without sugaring things up. I wish the "dunkel" flavor came more in to play as that's the entire reason i picked this beer up, but as a pumpkin brew, awesome!

4.25/5  rDev +6%

2.5/5  rDev -37.7%

4.28/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22 oz bomber in to a tulip glass.

A- Pours super murky and thick looking. Mud puddle brown with a 1/2" off white head.

S- The pumpkin is there in the background, but I'm getting a lot of dark fruit and some banana notes very much like a quad.

T- Again, I am very much reminded of a quad. The pumpkin doesn't jump in your face and the spices are just right. This is much different than I expected, but delicious in its own way.

M- Full mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not bad.

O- A good change of pace pumpkin ale. Not a spice bomb either.

4.64/5  rDev +15.7%