I Love Lamp - Evil Genius Beer Company

Evil Genius Beer Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.50% ABV

Pineapple Hefeweizen

(Beer added by: IdrinkGas on 06-05-2014)
Reviews by JALN13:
3.2/5  rDev -3%

3.2/5  rDev -3%

2.99/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

- Pineapple Hefeweizen.

A: Fizzy, sudsy diary cream white head is slight in size and weakly holding, dissipating over a pale orange colored body with a slight lemon tint upon backlighting. Good clarity shows a equally good rush of micro-effervesce.

S: Aroma was laid back tart pineapple, with only a average sense of excitablity, and virtually no sense of hefe-yeast.

T: Flavor was freshly sliced pineapple with some mango-orange fruitiness and a hint of banana yeastiness. Lighty dry pineapple finish.

M: Decent carbonation factor and body fullness, syrupy texture, bite of minearlity upon the swallow.

O: Overall, when cold the pineapple influence is more dominant, as it warms the hefeweizen yeastiness tends to show itself a bit more. It really didn't deliver on my expectations per the pineapple factor, nor the hefeweizen factor (full disclosure i am a fan of pineapple, so whether this caused me to rate this harder (or possibly more lenient, could be a factor) and i do like hefeweizens per style, this tended to trend in the swallow waters of complexity, and wasn't as bold or daring as it could of been. Doesn't really stand out as a try, tick, or refreshing choice per style or by itself. A C rated effort beer at best, expected a bit more from a brewery called Evil Genius. boring.

2.75/5  rDev -16.7%

3.28/5  rDev -0.6%

2.75/5  rDev -16.7%

3.65/5  rDev +10.6%

I Love Evil Genius B.C.! I only recently realized that they are headquartered here in PA, while their beers are being produced in CT for the time being. I am continuing to divest myself of these pesky bottles, but I will make the odd exception.

I popped the cap on this bottle with some care as I had noticed some slight sediment built up on the kick and since this is a "Pineapple Hefeweizen" and not a "Kristalweizen" of any sort, I wanted everything back in suspension. This also meant a more gentle pour than I might have wanted, simply because I was afraid that CO2 might have reentered suspension, also. Sure enough, I was initially seeing a lot of foaming until it finally settled into two fingers of foamy, bone-white head with decent retention. Nose was interesting, in a tropical fruit way. It was a banana ester-forward version of the style, which I generally eschew in favor of a clove-forward version, but here, it was muted by the pineapple. Color was a cloudy Yellowish-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5). Mouthfeel was thin, kind of watery, but that seems to go hand-in-hand with the style. The taste was odd, not banana or pineapple, but more like marshmallow! I was put in mind of Berlinerweisse with woodruff syrup added. Finish actually had a pineapple aftertaste, which was a decent alternative to bananas. It did not make me a convert, but it added another oddball to my inventory and I might lay it on company that professes not to like the taste of beer.

3.6/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear straw that is effervescent. The half finger of head dissipated quickly. Pineapple notes are found in the nose along with the typical yeast funkiness. This offering is very light-bodied. Wheat taste is upfront in the flavor profile with the pineapple coming on near the end. The finish has a little hoppiness to go along with the lingering sweetness from the pineapple.

I Love Lamp from Evil Genius Beer Company