DryHop / Begyle Johnny Quest Thinks We're Sellouts - DryHop Brewers

DryHop Brewers visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Black Ale |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 08-28-2013

Sessionable Black IPA containing Galaxy, Citra, Simcoe & Cascade hops. The aroma is amplified by a massive dryhop!

Version brewed at DryHop. Draft/growler only.
Reviews by kawilliams81:

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

This beer was named after a Less Than Jake song, I believe? I have never heard my girlfriend voice an opinion on less than jake. She was as indifferent to this beer. This beer was good. of Dryhop, I would say that all their beers hit the quality that most fresh, on tap beer has.

4.17/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

4.02/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

So you know you're behind when you're entering a review from when you helped a friend move and she's already moved out by the time you get around to it. 1L growler, consumed on September 1st. Probably served in a plastic cup, but who knows?

A - Tan foam settles to a thick cap and glass-coating lace. Near-black body that has some lighter shades of brown at the edges. I don't expect pitch black for this style, but this one is sufficiently 'black' considering the lower ABV.

S - A mix of hoppy flavors, such as grapefruit and floral notes, with a roasty malt backbone. Hints of milk chocolate and nuts round things outs. Not particularly different from the version brewed at Begyle.

T - The taste is fairly similar, with a mix of roasty and hoppy flavors, although some of the malt sweetness is accentuated as the beer warms. Still, it's definitely more towards the IPA side of the spectrum than the stout side. The combination of hop bitterness and char gets fatiguing after 12-16oz; more so than I noticed with the Begyle verison.

M - Chewy, medium body, with some roastiness to the texture. Pleasant carbonation, with lingering hop oils coating the palate.

D - Black IPAs are usually hit or miss for me, and while I loved the Begyle-brewed version this one was only 'pretty good' due to the intensified char and hop bitterness in the finish. Not sure what variation in house ingredients caused the variation, but goes to show how difficult it can be to replicate a beer from batch-to-batch. We easily finished the growler and I think I ordered another glass when it was on-tap at DryHop. That being said, I'd rather drink one of the Begyle-brewed bottles.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

DryHop / Begyle Johnny Quest Thinks We're Sellouts from DryHop Brewers
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.