Muzzle Flash - Brass Cannon Brewing

Muzzle Flash
No picture uploaded.

Brass Cannon Brewing visit their website
Virginia, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: clayrock81 on 05-27-2013)
Reviews by Zraly:
1.91/5  rDev -33.2%

Had on tap at an outdoor concert. I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into. Of course the folks pouring at this event were not beer experts so when I asked about it, they said it was a dark beer but that it was made in VA. So why not?

Appearance looked ok -- it struck me as a dubble-style ale upon appearance and smell, which I thought a bit odd to pour at a concert in the stinking heat. But such is the way. A bit of spice and malt up front. And to my astonishment upon looking here and at the BCM website, good lord!, it is suppose to be an American Amber.

The flavor was a mess and really quite foul. Muddy, funky, off flavors; tasted like dead yeast. A weird talc flavor. I couldn't figure out what the beer was suppose to be as the yeast flavor overpowered both malts and hops, which made it really hard to judge it in terms of style. Very unpleasant bitter finish. I can usually tolerate less-than-perfect beers, but I ended up dumping half of the beer. Medium-bodied and a bit too heavy on the funk for something that should be close to sessionable (given that this is suppose to be an amber): unbalanced. Tastes like a really off-batch of homebrew made from stale malt extract on expired yeast.

My hope and suspicion is there was something askew with the keg and/or storage. And so I do feel a little guilty writing this review. But going with the chance that my suspicions are wrong, this beer is pretty bad.

Edit; re-review, 4/15/2014

Had it again and actually decreased my scoring a bit. Had this at the brewery and it was just as bad. Tasted stale and dirty. Too much vegetable flavor. Some sort of salt and funk going on with this beer and their other beers as well. Many of the beers tasted the same: infected, unclean and not ready for prime time. I'm not going to bother adding and reviewing their other beers because I just don't want to go there.

This is a case of being cautious about supporting local places that are not producing solid beers. I love a great session ale, so it is not -- on my end -- a function of not appreciating styles that clock in < 6% ABV, which the majority of Brass Cannon's offerings are in the low range. And I love supporting local brewers: Alewerks has a solid lineup, Smartmouth makes an award-winning IPA, Saint George's has been around and makes consistent, clean beer, etc. I can say that at least one of the above breweries was mediocre at one point but has seemed to iron out kinks and worked on producing better beer. I can get behind that. And so there are many choices for craft beer now in the area. (And if I want to include Richmond, that place is booming with good craft beer.) What this says is this area is to the point where there is a selection of good breweries and thus a brewery needs to be competitive. I don't think Brass Cannon is at that place yet.

In short, I hope the brewers/owners of Brass Cannon learn from their first few years and get some assistance from the local beer community. And hey, I homebrew, too but know I am not material for starting my own place. And if I had that crazy thought and put it into motion, I would dial up services of those in-the-know and would seek experienced advice. Craft brewing is like the restaurant business now: many people with the passion and desire, but not all have the skill set and gumption to make it work.

Maybe Brass Cannon has sought advice and guidance -- then they need to execute. I think they need to send off some samples for testing because something is wrong. And in this case, I think there may be more than one variable that is askew. This is a harsh review but I do wish Brass Cannon luck. If they do up the ante, I'm happy to revisit and support them.

Zraly, Jul 01, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -21.3%

Mattyb79, Jan 07, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -12.6%

Kaiyotee, Mar 30, 2014

Ihadbeer, Oct 14, 2014
3.48/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Has on tap at the Taphouse in Hampton. Poured a rather muddy reddish hue with some sharp carbonation to give a good head and then it died real quick. A bitter, herbal hop presence in the nose and minimal sweet malts to speak of. Beer is smooth, light to medium bodied, but just not all the way there. The sweet malts are barely present and the hops take over, but it is more of a earthy, dirty hop presence and my only complaint, to put it bluntly, is this somewhat acidic or medicinal aftertaste I get after each sip when I'm about halfway through my draft. Can't put my finger on it and it is something I'm not accustomed to. Worth trying a new brewer in the area and I don't hate this beer but overall just an alright brew.

clayrock81, May 27, 2013

Kinger86, Aug 19, 2014
Muzzle Flash from Brass Cannon Brewing
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.