Fifth Voyage Coconut Porter - Cranker's Brewery

Beer added by: SerialTicker on 04-27-2013

Ratings: 85 | Reviews: 15
Reviews by Gryphon69:
3.48/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle
no date

A- Dark brownish black with some slight reddish hues. Kind of clear, not much murkiness. Fairly white head for a dark beer and not much lacing or head, even with a aggressive pour.

S- bottle: some cocoa, caramel, slight hints of coconut. glass: much like the bottle with a bit of boozeiness coming thru but not bad.

T- Coconut is pretty dominant up front with some chocolate, slight biscuit. Not much of what I would consider typical porter flavors. Kind of a different flavor, instead of dark fruit sweetness you get a unique sweet from the coconut.

M- Slightly under medium, not much in carbonation or slickness which kind of gives it a flat feeling and slightly underwhelming

O- Looks nice, smells unusual, not a bad taste, but not one that I could drink much of. The feel left the beer lacking, I can see the bubbles but it felt flat with not much body.

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

This porter is a bit crisp and light for my liking. However, the taste fits the purpose....almost like drinking a mounds. The beer pour a nearly opaque dark with virtually no head and no lace. Overall its ok...I would like more body.

2.32/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Tastes like watered down coconuts. Slighty burnt with some kind of funk or something and way too sweet.

4.21/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very smooth silky feel with hints of coconut.

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 fl. oz. bottle
Served in a snifter

A - This is a very dark beer. Even when held to the light none comes through. It is topped with two inches of tan head the quickly recedes.

S - There is a lot of chocolate. Every now and then I get whiffs of coconut.

T - The flavor is focused on the chocolate aspect. I do taste some roasted malt, but the chocolate dominates. The coconut is very subtle.

M - Full

O - I had this beer on tap at Crankers and the coconut was more apparent. It almost reminded me of German chocolate cake. So, I bought a six pack there thinking that it would be fresh. The coconut seems faded in the bottled edition leaving me mildly disappointed. I still enjoy the beer, but the coconut that set it apart for me was lacking.

3.7/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Quite pleasantly surprised by this beer. Have not been a big porter fan for a few years but this reminds me what I like about porters. Less chewy (much, this one) than a stout and a nice vehicle for other flavors. In this case the coconut comes through nicely without being too sweet and overpowering or, as in other coconut beers I've tried, hardly noticeable.

Well done Cranker's.

3.59/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a pint glass. No date.

A: Dark black, brownish hues at the edge where a little light passes. Aggressive pour, almost no head, slightly off-white, receded fast to a ring at glass edge.

S: Coconut, with some cocoa and caramel. Booziness is apparent, but not overwhelming.

T: Coconut, chocolate, and some biscuity malt. It's a porter, but not typical of the style, sweetness is not a pronounced as a typical porter.

M: Medium bodied, minimal carbonation starts prickly but quickly flattens.

O: Overall decent beer. Aromas are different for a porter, leading to a different flavor...though not bad to behold. Not sure this is a beer for large quantity consumption, but it is not bad.

2.91/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I picked up a bottle of Cranker's Fifth Voyage Coconut Porter a couple weeks ago for $1.89 at The lager Mill. I've had this beer before at a beer festival and I thought it was just ok and I'm interested so see how the bottled version turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label doesn't look that great, it's a little cheesy looking and it seems really squished and compact and the name is a in small font. It poured a nice dark black color that didn't let any light come through and it had two fingers worth of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking Porter that looked pretty true to style.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the coconut being the first to show up, it's identifiable as coconut, but it has more of a sun tan lotion aroma to it than a nice toasted coconut aroma. Up next comes a slight stale malt aroma followed by some roasted, grainy and sweet malt like aromas. Up next comes some doughy yeast with a weird aroma that smells a little plastic like. The aroma wasn't that great, I'm no a big fan of the tanning lotion like aspect.

T- The taste seems to be a little similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness and the roasted malts are the first to show up imparting a roasted, grainy, and slight sweet malt like flavor with a slight bit of that doughy yeast in the background. Up next comes the coconut which isn't as suntan lotion like as it was in the aroma, but it still reminds me of it. On the finish there's a pretty low amount of bitterness with a light roasted malt and a pretty coconut and somewhat sun tan lotion like aroma. This beer tasted ok, but I wish the coconut tasted more natural and that the porter base was a little more robust.

M- Fairly smooth, a little watery, a little crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't that great, it thought it was too thin and watery for the style.

Overall I wasn't a big fan of this beer and I thought it was a below average Porter and as a specialty Porter it's also a little below average, the combination on the weak Porter base and the sun tan lotion like coconut aspect kept this beer from being as good as it could be. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was fairly smooth and not too filling, but the taste didn't hold my attention and it would prevent me from drinking more then one, I have no urge to drink another one. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it wasn't a bad looking beer and I thought it looked pretty true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the aroma and the appearance, they weren't that great and they could both use some work. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I wouldn't recommend it. All in all this beer just wasn't for me and it seems to be pretty similar to how I remember it. Better luck next time guys, this one needs some a lot of work, better luck next time. So far this is my least favorite beer from Crankers.

3.58/5  rDev +3.2%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, no bottle dating. Pours pitch black color with a 2 finger fairly dense tan head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas of chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, coconut, caramel, toast, brown bread, and toasted earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and solid complexity of dark/roasted malt and coconut notes; with solid strength. Taste of chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, caramel, coconut, toast, brown bread, light herbal, and roasted earthiness. Light earthy/roasted bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, caramel, coconut, toast, brown bread, and roasted earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Nice flavor robustness with solid complexity of dark/roasted malts and coconut flavors; with a good malt/coconut balance and no cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth and moderately creamy/bready moutfeel that is good. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a good coconut porter. Not a whole lot of complexity but there is a good amount of coconut presence well balanced with the dark/roasted malts; and it is very smooth to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

3.25/5  rDev -6.3%

Not my first time tasting this beer. V: Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Last time i drank this i poured into a chilled pint glass, I was hoping the warmer glass would help bring out the flavors but, alas, it did not. The beer pours a rich dark brown that is only the slightest bit translucent around the edges. A two finger sandstone colored head rests on the top during the whole tasting. S: the beer gives off aromas of chocolate with hints of coconut. I expected the coconut to be stronger and was a little disappointed it wasn't. T: The taste of chocolate dominates with the coconut being more of an afterthought. I really expected more coconut flavor. B: the body is pretty light for the style. I would put it a little less than medium. It is also watery. I expect a smoother, silky feel from my porters and i think this really missed the mark for the style. O: not a bad beer although i could see some improvements being made.

2.93/5  rDev -15.6%

Coconut ??? Where???? Watered down... I'll never try anybody there beers again because of this....

3.11/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a very deep brown, almost black in the glass with a huge tan-brown thick head. The smell is malt dominate as you might expect from a porter, deep roasted notes like chocolate and burnt coffee come to mind. If I really use my imagination I can maybe smell some coconut. The taste reflects the same, ordinary porter with a slight off-flavor at the end with the burnt-ness that I would guess is the coconut. Not feeling it. Mouthfeel is full bodied with minimal carbonation. Overall, not a bad beer but not one that I would go back for either.

3.44/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served on-tap at One-Eyed Betty's in Ferndale, Michigan.

Appearance: Well, it's a porter -- black with maybe a few traces of red... very slight film on the top and really no lacing to speak of.

Taste/feel: It's a coconut porter, as the name suggests. Really tastes like cocoa butter would taste like if it didn't taste like ... well, lotion. The taste isn't wild and doesn't have a dominant roasty or chocolatey note, but the coconut comes out pretty well... and that may or may not be a good thing. Personally, I find it to be pleasant. It doesn't taste artificial, and it's just an easy drinking beer. The feel is like that of skim milk (weird description, I know), so it's a bit thicker than water. Carbonation isn't very high, so it's easy to drink down. To be honest, I was surprised by this one. It's not a very complex beer, and it's not the best porter you'll ever have, but I think it's an excellent starter's porter. I'd recommend this to others, and I'd try it again... especially if the person's like me -- they like the smell and taste of coconut, but not the texture.

3.69/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice taste with a hint of the coconut. One the wife might like.

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured into a perfect pint glass; thanks, Darren!

A: Black with a tan one-finger head that lingers. Great lacing.

S: Chocolate and coconut do a jig.

T: Follows nose with a very pleasant hybrid of chocolate and a smooth vibe of coconut. The aftertaste is kinda weird with an almost astringent feel. I would've loved actual coconut particles like BCBS Proprietor's Ale has.

M: Light to medium with light carbonation.

O: Would've been better with stronger carbonation. Overall, a decent sipper. Pairs well with cheddar and a chocolate chip cookie.

Fifth Voyage Coconut Porter from Cranker's Brewery