Fifth Voyage Coconut Porter - Cranker's Brewery

2.75/5  rDev -20.5%

3.51/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

This porter is a bit crisp and light for my liking. However, the taste fits the purpose....almost like drinking a mounds. The beer pour a nearly opaque dark with virtually no head and no lace. Overall its ok...I would like more body.

3.2/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.44/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.32/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Tastes like watered down coconuts. Slighty burnt with some kind of funk or something and way too sweet.

3.13/5  rDev -9.5%

Drank from the bottle, and poured a shots worth into a shot glass to get a look at the color.
Pours a dark, coffee color. Could be mistaken for a Cola with the light brown thin foam head.
Smell like a dark beer, chocolate, maybe subtle coconut aroma.
Tastes of a mild chocolate, not too strong. Maybe even a light coffee taste. I'm not getting any obvious hints of coconut.
Feels very light carbonation, goes down very smooth.
Overall, as someone who doesn't much care for darker beers I think it's pretty good, and on the light side.

4.21/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very smooth silky feel with hints of coconut.

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 fl. oz. bottle
Served in a snifter

A - This is a very dark beer. Even when held to the light none comes through. It is topped with two inches of tan head the quickly recedes.

S - There is a lot of chocolate. Every now and then I get whiffs of coconut.

T - The flavor is focused on the chocolate aspect. I do taste some roasted malt, but the chocolate dominates. The coconut is very subtle.

M - Full

O - I had this beer on tap at Crankers and the coconut was more apparent. It almost reminded me of German chocolate cake. So, I bought a six pack there thinking that it would be fresh. The coconut seems faded in the bottled edition leaving me mildly disappointed. I still enjoy the beer, but the coconut that set it apart for me was lacking.

3.7/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Quite pleasantly surprised by this beer. Have not been a big porter fan for a few years but this reminds me what I like about porters. Less chewy (much, this one) than a stout and a nice vehicle for other flavors. In this case the coconut comes through nicely without being too sweet and overpowering or, as in other coconut beers I've tried, hardly noticeable.

Well done Cranker's.

3.59/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a pint glass. No date.

A: Dark black, brownish hues at the edge where a little light passes. Aggressive pour, almost no head, slightly off-white, receded fast to a ring at glass edge.

S: Coconut, with some cocoa and caramel. Booziness is apparent, but not overwhelming.

T: Coconut, chocolate, and some biscuity malt. It's a porter, but not typical of the style, sweetness is not a pronounced as a typical porter.

M: Medium bodied, minimal carbonation starts prickly but quickly flattens.

O: Overall decent beer. Aromas are different for a porter, leading to a different flavor...though not bad to behold. Not sure this is a beer for large quantity consumption, but it is not bad.

2.91/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I picked up a bottle of Cranker's Fifth Voyage Coconut Porter a couple weeks ago for $1.89 at The lager Mill. I've had this beer before at a beer festival and I thought it was just ok and I'm interested so see how the bottled version turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label doesn't look that great, it's a little cheesy looking and it seems really squished and compact and the name is a in small font. It poured a nice dark black color that didn't let any light come through and it had two fingers worth of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking Porter that looked pretty true to style.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the coconut being the first to show up, it's identifiable as coconut, but it has more of a sun tan lotion aroma to it than a nice toasted coconut aroma. Up next comes a slight stale malt aroma followed by some roasted, grainy and sweet malt like aromas. Up next comes some doughy yeast with a weird aroma that smells a little plastic like. The aroma wasn't that great, I'm no a big fan of the tanning lotion like aspect.

T- The taste seems to be a little similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness and the roasted malts are the first to show up imparting a roasted, grainy, and slight sweet malt like flavor with a slight bit of that doughy yeast in the background. Up next comes the coconut which isn't as suntan lotion like as it was in the aroma, but it still reminds me of it. On the finish there's a pretty low amount of bitterness with a light roasted malt and a pretty coconut and somewhat sun tan lotion like aroma. This beer tasted ok, but I wish the coconut tasted more natural and that the porter base was a little more robust.

M- Fairly smooth, a little watery, a little crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't that great, it thought it was too thin and watery for the style.

Overall I wasn't a big fan of this beer and I thought it was a below average Porter and as a specialty Porter it's also a little below average, the combination on the weak Porter base and the sun tan lotion like coconut aspect kept this beer from being as good as it could be. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was fairly smooth and not too filling, but the taste didn't hold my attention and it would prevent me from drinking more then one, I have no urge to drink another one. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it wasn't a bad looking beer and I thought it looked pretty true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the aroma and the appearance, they weren't that great and they could both use some work. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I wouldn't recommend it. All in all this beer just wasn't for me and it seems to be pretty similar to how I remember it. Better luck next time guys, this one needs some a lot of work, better luck next time. So far this is my least favorite beer from Crankers.

Fifth Voyage Coconut Porter from Cranker's Brewery