2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

White Winter Brackett - White Winter Winery, Inc.

White Winter Brackett
No picture uploaded.

White Winter Winery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Braggot |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gusler on 12-12-2002)
View: Beers (2) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 7 | Reviews: 6 | Show All Ratings:
joe1510

4.26/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz. Bottle

This is my first expierence with a braggot. I'm looking forward to it. Poured into a snifter after letting warm for about 10 minutes. A big billowy frothy head poked above the rim of my glass and very slowly faded leaving sticky lacing in its path. As the head faded it turned rocky and craggy. This all on top of a glowing slightly hazed amber body. Rising carbonation in streams from all over. After describing the appearance the head is still over 1 finger and staying put.

The smell is very interesting and enjoyable. Wasn't really all that sure what to expect. There is a subtle honey note that's soft and in the background. I'm picking up a little fruit that seems to be white grapes and occasionally even some oak. The honey adds a sweetness the more this one warms. Toward the end I pick up an earthiness reminiscent of damp soil and a mild hop spiciness. There is even some toffee in there. Seems like I get something different each time. Now after some time in the glass I'm picking up a lot of tart green apple. Complex. Nice.

The flavor is very mellow. All the flavors seem to be in harmony with each other. Everything in the nose is detected at some point or another in the taste. Grapes and a mild honey sweetness go very nicely together. A subtle toffee flavor also goes really nicely with the earthiness. Spicy hops barely leave a tingle on the tongue. Finishes off with a toffee sweetness that lingers momentarily. All in all this is a subtle complex braggot. I really have to work to pull out all the different flavors but it is definitely worth it. My only complaint is that the flavors just don't last long enough.

The mouthfeel really impresses me. This braggot enters your mouth in liquid form but somewhere between mid-palate and the finish it turns into some sort of sea foam. There is no sign of swallowing a liquid. I have never drank anything before that makes that abrupt of a transition. Somehow it does it very well. The only problem with the mouthfeel is that it pushes the flavors through a little faster than they should be. Otherwise it's a pretty cool expierence.

This is something I would only drink one at a time. It feels more along the lines of a special occasion libation. When I am drinking it it goes down very easy.

This was a really nice surprise. If I see this again I will definitely pick up some more. A good way to get my feet wet with braggot. This is much better than I expected with many complexities. I believe you could share this with beer and wine drinkers with good results. I believe I picked this up for $1.99 a bottle.

Reviewed: 12/31/06

08-31-2013 21:01:56 | More by joe1510
eyncognito

3.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured 12oz. bottle into pint glass.

Vigorous pour produces a 2 fingered off-white head which slowly fades into a nice thin ring. Color is a deep shade of brown- I may have poured a little too hard-there's little chunks of sediment, unlesss this is par for the course. I've had little experience with braggots. Smells of sweet honey, reminds me of a toasted brown bread with honey and jam---hard to say what flavor of jam, only that it's fruity and jammy.

Taste is the same as the nose, honey and malt and jamminess work wonderfully here. There's a touch of hops, but I'm not picking up on much spice. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to thin, which works with this beer. Carbonation is moderate. Overall, a winter delight. A good change of pace from barleywines and stouts as for winter brews, almost a session beer, but a touch too alcoholic, bottle says 7%. That said if I didn't know or care I'd knock back a couple two-three in a row on a winter night.

12-18-2008 04:56:45 | More by eyncognito
DaPeculierDane

4.1/5  rDev +20.2%

Wow! More than 18 months of aging (in my fridge!!!) have done wonders for this beer. What an improvement.

Appearance: Deep amber-bronze. No bubbles. Moderate tan head dissipates rapidly to a skim around the glass.

Aroma: Vanilla, deep, deep vanilla. Oak. Light honey, subtle strawberry jam.

Taste: Deep jammy sweet fruit, followed quickly by earthy toffees and finally by semi-dry vanilla, hazelnut, and hoppy flavors. The transition is noticeable and complex. Nice.

Mouthfeel: Outrageous. Front is heavy, super sweet, syrupy. Center is sweet. Finish is tangy and bubbly. It almost becomes sour as it warms. After finish goes back to heavy and syrup.

Drinakbility: Moderate. This seems to pack a big punch. Is it possible that this has continue fermenting in the bottle this whole time? It seems impossible yet I feel rather buzzed off this.

Overall, very interesting and deep. Tasty, with the mouthfeel being the highlight. This has improved so much over time. I can’t wait to try another bottle next year!

02-27-2007 02:23:11 | More by DaPeculierDane
terrabyte

3.03/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a clear, deep brown tan beer with a high white head.

Smells like a sweet mead, but reminds me of just malt liquor sugars. Lots of spices, including cloves.

Taste comes out only when you swallow or hit it with air in your mouth. Then it bursts into carmelized honey and dark fruit bonanza. It has a high pitch aftertaste from spices unknown to me.

A bit too carbonated, thinner than I expected from the huge flavors, but that made it more drinkable.

Too sweet for me to be easily drinkable. Got better as the glass emptied. I'm not well versed in Mead, but if that's what they were going for, I don't think they failed. Just not my style.

10-19-2006 04:47:28 | More by terrabyte
ADR

3.23/5  rDev -5.3%

A bottle at a party, this is my first reviewed Mead -- though Dogfish Midas Touch seemed close at the time. Clove color, decent head of 1/2 of an inch and lots of dotty laces over sheets of clinging liquid. Sweet potato pie aroma, prickly cinnamon, mace, and requisite honey. Plenty of body, I'll expand after more experience with Braggots. Lots of a unidimensional sweetness, good spice, but more like a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios than the more changing profile of a beer. Not bad, not an easy drinker for me. I've been schooled on Mead making, but the same guy could only tell me to say whether or not I liked it when evaluating it...

02-04-2004 20:26:57 | More by ADR
Gusler

Arizona

3.43/5  rDev +0.6%

The beer pours a limpid brown color; the head impressive in size, the texture frothy and the lace produce is sticky sheets that cling tightly to the glass. Honey sweet nose, malt and a bit spicy, quite a change of pace. Thickly sweet at the front, the top middling in feel with a finish that is minimally carbonated, just a touch of tartness in the aftertaste also dry. Different to be sure as I said a change of pace, but not something I would want everyday, good in its own right nonetheless.

12-12-2002 07:41:14 | More by Gusler
White Winter Brackett from White Winter Winery, Inc.
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.