Polaris Julebryg - Nanoq Beer Greenland

Polaris JulebrygPolaris Julebryg

Nanoq Beer Greenland visit their website
Greenland

Winter Warmer |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: biboergosum on 05-25-2012)
Reviews by Olek4374:
3.78/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I've been wanting to review one of these Greenlandic beers for a while now, and I stumbled upon one last week at a local store so I just had to get it. I'm sure it's a bit stale, but when you import from an exotic place like Greenland that's something you have to expect.

It pours a nice brown colour with two fingers of light brown head. The smell is great. Since this is a winter ale I would have expected a heavy hit of vanilla, and there certainly is some, but it's also heavy in caramel and even molasses - it is more complex smelling than many of the winter ales you can normally get here. The taste is all right - it's quite sweet and has little carbonation. The caramel and molasses taste really comes through for me, and the aftertaste is clean and pleasant. This beer is really expensive for a single bottle so I probably won't buy another bottle, but I'm glad I tried it. It's better than I would have hoped.

It`s not as `warming` as many winter warmers are, but it`s still a fine beer.

Olek4374, May 22, 2013
3.4/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

500ml bottle, the first Greenlandic offering to grace the shelves of, well, I'm not hesitating to say, anywhere outside of Denmark and that frozen Danish colony itself. Beyond discerning that this is brewed with water extracted from Greenlandic ice, I've got nothing as far as cultural references go, so onto the drinking, eh?

This beer pours a crystal clear, medium rusted amber hue, with one finger of fizzy, foamy pale tan head, which leaves a low berm of gasket lace around the glass as it quickly abates.

It smells of thin caramel malt, though at the same time quite fruity - pear and melon, predominantly, with various spices jockeying for attention - clove, licorice root, and cinnamon stand out the most, among a faint grassy, leafy hoppiness. The taste is light bready, somewhat caramelized malt, more savoury spices in the vein of cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, and dried juniper, some apple orchard fruitiness, and very soft piney, leafy hops. No evidence of the extra point of alcohol.

The carbonation blends into the background, the body coming in on the weak and light side of things, though generally quite smooth. It finishes with a dry, almost woody push, like the stems of the fruit that just were, as the malt just doesn't have the legs.

The European influence is not a surprise in this nascent North of 60 (I'll actually have to look that up) offering - fruity, spicy, some boreal forest notes; however, it all feels a wee bit too thin, too ethereal, to convince me that I'd want to depend very much on its warming qualities when they're needed most.

biboergosum, May 25, 2012
3.6/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500ml bottle poured into pint glass 6/7/12

A dark amber with lots of tiny bubbles feeding finger of tan foam that falls fast and leaves just a few patches of lace

S nutmeg, nougat, with some caramel and herbal notes with a little vanilla

T tea leaf and cola on top of what I smell, not quite as nice as the nose but still pretty good, just a little licorice as it warms

M not overly thick but the bubbles fluff it up a little, a little hazelnut on the finish

O decent beer with no booze detected anywhere, nothing to set it apart from many other Winter Warmers I've tried

good but not great, worth a shot but I doubt I'll buy a second bottle

wordemupg, Jul 07, 2012

tom10101, Jul 07, 2013
Polaris Julebryg from Nanoq Beer Greenland
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.