Red Headed Step Child - Tall Tales Brewing

Tall Tales Brewing visit their website
Maryland, United States

Irish Red Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: MrBoh on 06-11-2013

A dark red Irish red with roasty overtones and a subtle, apple, fruity finish.

to view more.
Ratings: 36 | Reviews: 5
Reviews by MrBoh:
3.32/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I had tried this beer a couple times before. It was pretty good then, I remembered a little bitterness. So, I tried it again at the brewery. I kepy getting a flavor that just reminded me of grain extract. It didn't really taste like an Irish Red, so much as a poorly crafted brown ale. As I said though, I had better experience before, so I am open to giving it another shot.

3.26/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Beautiful, a dark ruby red with little to no foam head

Smell: Smelled dark and woodsy, very rich and almost cherry in smell. Smelled like it looked, dark and luxurious.

Taste: I'm not a huge fan of Red Ales that don't taste like Red Ales...like someone else said, it tasted much more like a poorly brewed Brown Ale. Too syrupy sweet for my taste with lack of dominant hops.

Mouthfeel: Little to no carbonation, went down smooth, didn't pair well with meats like I thought it would or as it was recommended to me. However, I can see this good as an after dinner beer in the colder months.

Overall: Decent, not great and certainly not my personal preference. I can see why others like it and recommend it but it was not my favorite.

3.96/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Dark ruby color with a decent tan head. Pretty dark indeed.
Smell - Sweet and malty
Taste - Sweet caramel and very light roastiness with a hint of apple and slight alcohol warmth, overall very nice even though I'm normally not partial to reds. This one has a lot of flavor!

3.85/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice taste, sweetness balances the bitter just right.

2.99/5  rDev -14.3%

Got this beer on tap at a Cadillac Ranch in DC - closest thing they had to a local ale. The color is a muddy red, closer to brown. Was served with a 1/2" head that dissipated quickly. The aroma had some hints of cherry and citrus. The mouth feel was thin with a slight sensation of carbonation - which is odd, because it looks dead in the glass. The taste is overwhelmingly citrus. Almost like the tase of "real lemon"extract. The beer lit up the tastebuds on the back and sides of my tongue - not in a good way. Bottom line, it is a sin not to finish any beer, and I did, but I won't go out of my way to try this beer again.

to view more.