Velocity IPA - Beer Engineers

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Beer Engineers
Alabama, United States

Beer added by: barleywinefiend on 07-30-2012

Our flagship beer currently avaialable on draft only, it has a citrusy, floral hop flavor wiht a smooth malt finish. Not too bitter, but full of flavor.
Reviews by a0lbudman:

2.79/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #76 (May 2013):

Way out of balance to the point of being undrinkable. While the hopping is there, the yeast and alcohol overtones run amuck. This beer is in dire of being cleaned up. Proof that big beers can be very problematic as well. Take this one back to the drawing board.

STYLE: American Double IPA
ABV: 10.0%

LOOK: Heady, cloudy, amber hue

SMELL: Vegetal, yeasty, buttery, mint, fruit cake, resin, estery, broth, peppery, toffee

TASTE: Incredibly smooth, creamy, thick medium body, bitter, alcoholic bite, candied pineapple, very leafy, grassy, astringent, toffee, nutty yeast; hoppy, unbalanced finish

1.84/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

As I like to torture myself sometimes here we go. Poured into a snifter from a 22oz bottle dated 8.23.12 so it is several months old. It's the freshest I could find in the market.

A: beer pours very murky orange/light brown in color and starts off with a 1/2 finger white head that very quickly goes away and leaves a thin white film on top of th beer. A swirl kicks it back up but quickly it's back down again. I don't know if this beer has yeast in the bottle or not I can't tell due to the haze.

S: I can smell this beer from 3 feet away. Smells sugary sweet with a slight orange aroma which I would assume comes from dry hopping?? There is some spice in the nose as well, but that could just be the sweetness. I'm surprised that I am not picking up any booze aroma as this "IPA" is a whopping 10%. Ok as this beer warms the alcohol hotness starts to come through in the aroma.

T: to be honest I am scared to taste this beer, but here I go. I think I am picking up some kind of oxidation here. I do get a wet paper taste in the front with some bitterness. Glad the beer isn't as sweet as I thought it would be, though it is sweet but at 10% what beer isn't somewhat sweet. Finish is all hot boozy alcohols, not really something I would drink on a regular basis if at all again. I can't pick out anything in the beer but a citrus bitterness and booze. Not very complex.

M: right now after drinking what little I have my mouth is coated in a bitter boozy mess. The sweetness hangs around too as it goes along. Anyone have a palate cleanser?

O: overall? I really hope this beer gets better. It's not very complex and its boozy. If you want to get drunk and have a terrible hangover in the morning this beer is for you. Otherwise I suggest not buying. Oh why is there an IPA in the name? It's not an IPA more like just a strong ale.

4.36/5  rDev +61.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Another Huntsville, AL brew that just blew me away.

This is a beer with a 10% alcohol content. It tastes as though it is a boilermaker. Fruity, but with a distinct whiskey flavor to the beer. I'm not an IPA fan, but this double IPA is balanced by a fruity flavor that leaves a decent aftertaste that I don't mind at all. Minimal carbonation rounds out the overall experience of the brew. I have to say, I was surprised and impressed with the brews offered in Norther Alabama.

3.5/5  rDev +29.6%

3.25/5  rDev +20.4%

3.75/5  rDev +38.9%

4.25/5  rDev +57.4%

1.71/5  rDev -36.7%

A: Poured a murky deep orangish color with a nice white cap which resdes leaving a small ring of white bubbles and some good lacing

S: Grapefruit and orange peel with a persistent band aid and burnt plastic aroma

T: Immediate band aid, a melted solo cup also comes to mind with some lingering grapefruit/orange peel bitterness. A little booze sting followed by more plastic. The finish is bitter and dirt

M: Medium to heavy bodied, well carbonated, cloying and bitter. The plastic note hangs out on the palate

O: This beer is a leg up from the draft version but still needs TLC.

Velocity IPA from Beer Engineers
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.