Velocity IPA - Beer Engineers

Velocity IPA
No picture uploaded.

Beer Engineers visit their website
Alabama, United States

Our flagship beer currently avaialable on draft only, it has a citrusy, floral hop flavor wiht a smooth malt finish. Not too bitter, but full of flavor.

(Beer added by: barleywinefiend on 07-30-2012)
Reviews by zookerman182:

zookerman182, May 31, 2014

jmbraxton, Aug 19, 2012
1.83/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

As I like to torture myself sometimes here we go. Poured into a snifter from a 22oz bottle dated 8.23.12 so it is several months old. It's the freshest I could find in the market.

A: beer pours very murky orange/light brown in color and starts off with a 1/2 finger white head that very quickly goes away and leaves a thin white film on top of th beer. A swirl kicks it back up but quickly it's back down again. I don't know if this beer has yeast in the bottle or not I can't tell due to the haze.

S: I can smell this beer from 3 feet away. Smells sugary sweet with a slight orange aroma which I would assume comes from dry hopping?? There is some spice in the nose as well, but that could just be the sweetness. I'm surprised that I am not picking up any booze aroma as this "IPA" is a whopping 10%. Ok as this beer warms the alcohol hotness starts to come through in the aroma.

T: to be honest I am scared to taste this beer, but here I go. I think I am picking up some kind of oxidation here. I do get a wet paper taste in the front with some bitterness. Glad the beer isn't as sweet as I thought it would be, though it is sweet but at 10% what beer isn't somewhat sweet. Finish is all hot boozy alcohols, not really something I would drink on a regular basis if at all again. I can't pick out anything in the beer but a citrus bitterness and booze. Not very complex.

M: right now after drinking what little I have my mouth is coated in a bitter boozy mess. The sweetness hangs around too as it goes along. Anyone have a palate cleanser?

O: overall? I really hope this beer gets better. It's not very complex and its boozy. If you want to get drunk and have a terrible hangover in the morning this beer is for you. Otherwise I suggest not buying. Oh why is there an IPA in the name? It's not an IPA more like just a strong ale.

nhudson, Feb 24, 2013

GRG1313, Jun 28, 2014

GratefulEdd, Jun 19, 2013

freduardo, Aug 15, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +58.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Another Huntsville, AL brew that just blew me away.

This is a beer with a 10% alcohol content. It tastes as though it is a boilermaker. Fruity, but with a distinct whiskey flavor to the beer. I'm not an IPA fan, but this double IPA is balanced by a fruity flavor that leaves a decent aftertaste that I don't mind at all. Minimal carbonation rounds out the overall experience of the brew. I have to say, I was surprised and impressed with the brews offered in Norther Alabama.

jjamadorphd, Aug 07, 2013

beernads, Mar 13, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +54%

justinm4bama, Aug 23, 2013
1.68/5  rDev -39.1%

A: Poured a murky deep orangish color with a nice white cap which resdes leaving a small ring of white bubbles and some good lacing

S: Grapefruit and orange peel with a persistent band aid and burnt plastic aroma

T: Immediate band aid, a melted solo cup also comes to mind with some lingering grapefruit/orange peel bitterness. A little booze sting followed by more plastic. The finish is bitter and dirt

M: Medium to heavy bodied, well carbonated, cloying and bitter. The plastic note hangs out on the palate

O: This beer is a leg up from the draft version but still needs TLC.

barleywinefiend, Oct 21, 2012