Bourbon Barrel Velocity - Beer Engineers

No picture uploaded.

Beer Engineers visit their website
Alabama, United States

American Strong Ale |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: nhudson on 02-24-2013)
Reviews by nhudson:
1.74/5  rDev -51.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

In a review of all 3 BE beers here is the 2nd tasted side by side to its father Velocity IPA. Bottle was released late 2012 or early 2013. No bottle date is on the bottle. It's also listed at 12% abv somehow 2% higher than its father.

A: poured out of the bottle into a snifter. Beer pours a murky brown color with a very minimal head. Man this thing is murky. No idea if there is yeast in the bottle but good lord.

S: as the same with Velocity, I can smell this thing 3 feet away. All I can smell is bourbon alcohol and booze. It already smells over oaked, bourboned, or whatever you want to call it. I haven't even put it up to my nose yet. Smells like an empty bourbon barrel heavy on the bourbon and wet paper. I'm doing my best to pick out something else but good lord it's all bourbon. There is a cloying sweetness in the nose that I am not looking forward to tasting. No hop aroma to speak of.

T: up front bourbon with a hint of bourbon. There are some wood favors in there as well. Some vanilla stands out as the only other description I can find. I can find no Velocity IPA in the taste of this beer. It's hidden behind the booze and bourbon. Again this is a boozy mess with no complexity other than it tastes like bourbon. I would rather just have bourbon. It's sweet and too sweet. The alcohol hides any bitterness and what is left is something that just not for me I guess.

M: a think mouthfeel makes for a bad drinking experience. The booze and bourbon stick around for way too long. It's not something I would like and add no complexity to the beer whatsoever ever. Again just drink bourbon. Drink Jack Daniel's as that's what it mostly tastes like.

O: honestly I don't know why this exists. It offered zero complexity over it's father Velocity IPA. This could have been any beer and you would have not known due to the fact it tastes like bourbon.

nhudson, Feb 24, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

tweezer159, Nov 09, 2013
4.61/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I purchased when the beer was released, but held onto it for a few months. The small amount of time in the bottle really enhanced the things I loved about it the first time around.

It pours into the glass with a thin layer of head, just enough to let you know its there. Very dark, but so was the original Velocity.

There is a fair amount of bourbon in the nose, but all the things I love about bourbon...toffee and caramel notes with a hint of spice.

First sip is like sipping a bit of bourbon. As it warms in the mouth, you are subjected to a variety of complexities. A bright bloom of red fruits followed by a swirl of caramel and toffee and then finished with just a hint of butterscotch.

Very high in alcohol content, so share a bottle with some friends.

allofusinone, Apr 16, 2013

Brinks, Mar 12, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +32.7%

edbritton, May 24, 2013
Bourbon Barrel Velocity from Beer Engineers
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.