1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Goldencold Lager - Susquehanna Brewing Company

Goldencold LagerGoldencold Lager

Susquehanna Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: undeadozzy on 06-12-2012)
View: Beers (9) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 59 | Reviews: 9 | Show All Ratings:
paulhargus

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Couldn't wait to try this beer from the new Susquehanna Brewing Company. SBC has done a great job in marketing and generating excitement for their products. I'm not big in to hoppier brews, and having the Stegmaier tradition involved with Goldencold made me really excited for this lager.

I'm new to reviewing beers based on texture and other characteristics, so I won't try to sound educated. I will say Goldencold initially reminded me of Stegmaier's Gold lager, but with a stronger taste. It has a nice golden color with a thick white head. The lacing is retained throughout. Very smooth and tasty.

06-17-2012 19:53:28 | More by paulhargus
RyanGoodman

Bolivia

4.4/5  rDev +29%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on-tap both at the brewery and a pub down the street. While at the pub, I drank this beer directly after another well known Pennsylvania lager. SBC annihilated the other beer. It gave off a deep gold clarity one would expect from a lager. Thin off-white head remained after waiter brought it from the bar. The scent was clean and inviting, with a good mix of malt and hop aromas. Neither one overwhelming the other. Hints of bread as well. Taste delivered everything in the nose and more. I can't say enough about the smoothness of this lager. Their method of separating the husk and kernel of the grain has done wonders for the crisp, clean taste found in this very well crafted beer. Mouthfeel is a bullseye.

Extremely well done!

06-12-2012 17:12:12 | More by RyanGoodman
undeadozzy

4.15/5  rDev +21.7%

A - Nice deep amber color with a thick and foamy white head. Ample carbonation, but nothing too obnoxious.

S - Can definitely pick up on the German hops just by smelling it, and maybe a little bit of cornbread and sweet dinner roll. Very pleasant smelling.

T - Great. Wonderful smooth full-bodied lager taste, with just enough hops to give it a punch. Has a sweet buttery tone to it, like a sweet dinner roll, very tasty.

M - Thick for a lager, but very full. Not greasy or watery, but almost a perfect viscosity for a beer.

O - Very good beer. Great first impression by the Susquehanna Brewing Company, a very good lager and a very good beer all around.

06-12-2012 16:12:53 | More by undeadozzy
woodychandler

4.08/5  rDev +19.6%

I know that I usually eschew bottled beers, but given that Guy Hagner is part of the brewing crew behind this beer, I could not resist.

From the bottle: "People Beer by Beer People"; "The address says Northeastern Pennsylvania, but make no mistake. This beer is pure Deutchland. The use of classic pilsner malt ans Sauermalz recalls beers from centuries ago, bringing to life a traditional, rounded note. And the Bavarian and Czech hops deliver a crisp, classic and nuanced bitterness. Which can only mean one thing. It's time to don your favorite pair of lederhosen and enjoy an incredibly drinkable German-style beer, from right here in NEPA."

My musical accompaniment for this one is Adam and the Ants doing "Ant Music" since it was "ant music for ant people". My pour created just better than a finger of fizzing, tawny head that lasted longer than I expected. Color was a brilliant gold (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity and now the three stooges, Croesus, Mammon and King Midas were REALLY fighting for a sip. Nose was had a grassy tang along with a cereal-like sweetness. I would have guessed GER Pils, but APL also fits. Mouthfeel was medium and the wash of grassy hops reminded me of why I have fallen in love with adjunct-free lagers. I have CANsumed far too many AALs on The CANQuest (TM) to be enamored of such things. The finish had a slight twang to go with the grassiness, perhaps from the Sauermalz, giving it a unique taste. Man, if only they would begin CANning, I'd be all set ...

11-06-2013 16:54:06 | More by woodychandler
Slatetank

3.75/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Got this in a mix-a-six at Giant Beer Garden & Eatery enjoyed from a pub glass chilled from the bottle.

The color is a medium amber with light cream of beige with small bead and spots of lace collect. The smell is malty with a mild sweet aroma and light yeasty breadiness. The feel is good -a mix of malt and mild bitterness with a slight creamy and carbonated feel but the finish is mostly dry and alcohol is subdued.

The flavor has some nutty malt with toasty flavor combined with the yeast which adds a slight bready quality to the brew with slight spice and and mild hop flavor which seems to balance the sweetness of the mild caramel accent. Overall I enjoyed this but feel it would be better classified as a vienna or amber lager perhaps. I think it is a drinkable lager with a nice malt body.

08-07-2013 21:13:50 | More by Slatetank
tone77

3.58/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts, some grains. Taste is crisp, clean, malts, some hops at the finish, refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall this is a fine session beer.

05-11-2013 18:20:00 | More by tone77
WesWes

3.79/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The beer pours a pale golden color with a thick frothy white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a crisp, pilsner malt scent along with a touch of hops and dry lager yeast aroma. The taste is good as well. Again, it's crisp with a dry lager yeast finish. The malt character maintains a smooth, well rounded flavor. It contains a much broader taste than a macro, adjunct lager. The mouthfeel is fine. It a low bodied beer with adequate/good carbonation. This is an every day beer that's easy drinking and flavorful, yet doesn't hurt the wallet too bad.

03-20-2013 18:35:16 | More by WesWes
smarek82

3.45/5  rDev +1.2%

Aroma is noble hops all the way.

Appearance is golden straw and of brilliant clarity.

Taste is where I have a problem. For a German lager that is supposedly pilsner malt forward it seems like I should be getting more of a firm bitterness and much crisper. I'm glad they have as much carbonation as they do because it could have fallen really flat(no pun intended). I do also detect some slight diacetyl in the beer.

Mouthfeel is of medium body and as stated previously a generous amount of carbonation.

Overall I would have this beer in a bar around here, but I doubt I'll be buying a case. After the six pack I bought and drank I did not feel like I could drink another beer. Recommendations would be to make this beer a little crisper by revisiting the mineral content of Pittston water then decreasing carbonation to round it out. Then again I'm not the professional and can't make judgement on one beer. Maybe I'll try the 6th generation and review that!

Cheers

08-04-2012 02:11:33 | More by smarek82
stakem

3.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Thanks to BA Smoked for sharing this growler with me. Poured into a couple of standard pint glasses, the brew appears a clear straw yellow with a frothy white head. The cap maintains as expected for the style with a spotty lace pattern across the top and on the glass.

The smell is buttery with herbal hops contrasting a bit of cereal-like sweetness. The nose is pretty average as expected for the style with the only highlight being a noble hop presence is noted.

The taste is as buttery as the nose leads on with a touch of fruity alcohol ester and faint herbal hops. The hops provide a mild herbal flavor and not much bitterness. I guess I am super sensative to diactyl because the buttery character of this brew ruins it for me. Underneath is a mild grain sweetness that lasts into the aftertaste.

This is medium bodied with a modest level of carbonation. Sonewhat crisp but not as much as you would expect for the style since the buttery notes linger and ruin the crispness. I wanted to like this beer, I really did. I always look forward to new local brews but this one is nothing more or less than a fair bmc substitute.

Serving type: growler