6th Generation Stock Ale - Susquehanna Brewing Company

6th Generation Stock Ale6th Generation Stock Ale

Susquehanna Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Old Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: undeadozzy on 06-12-2012)
Reviews by WesWes:
3.55/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a deep golden/amber color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma decent. It has a bone dry pale malt scent along with a light touch of caramel malt for color and body. The hop aroma is adequate, but nothing to write home about. The taste is decent as well. It has a crisp, clean flavor with a solid malt character and a mild hop bitterness. It goes down easy with a very dry finish. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a pretty solid brew, but nothing I'd go out of my way to find.

I'm not going to rate this beer on the norms of rating beer but I will say this that the other people that gave a review on this either work or have some sort of affiliation with this brewery to rate this so high I personally think that this beer is a total drain pour it tastes like miller light with more of a "beer" taste to it

4.25/5  rDev +30.8%

2.75/5  rDev -15.4%

3.46/5  rDev +6.5%

The beer is labeled an "old ale" here and the name evokes that style as well, but as an old ale it completely fails to deliver anything of what I'd expect from the style.

However, the lengthier description also makes it sound like an older, endemic style of American beer. The above scores are what I'd give it as a California Common. It was a crisp and refreshing beer. If you're expecting the fruity malts of an old ale, then skip this. If you want an easy drinking summer beer, this will suit you fine.

3.75/5  rDev +15.4%

This was the first time having any beer from Susquehanna Brewing Company. This brewery is new but the family has been in the business for a long time.

The nose was strong for an ale. Had almost IPA qualities to it which I happen like a lot. Quite hoppy notes in the nose.

It pours nice leaving a light white head that quickly fades away. The lacing was also light as well.

The taste was more complex than I expected for an ale. First I got the bitterness of grapefruit, which settled into a nice malty flavor with almost a Munich style malt profile.

Has a solid mouth feel that ends in a bitterness that makes you want another drink. Very nice on a summer night.

Overall I am pleased with the beer quality. It is a beer that pairs good in any situation.This might be my new go to beer.

3.75/5  rDev +15.4%

2.88/5  rDev -11.4%

3.83/5  rDev +17.8%

A - Nice golden yellow color with a foamy head that left lots of lacing on the glass.

S - Picking up on lots of hops and some bright malt scents too. Can't quite place any particular scent among the hops and malts, but it smells fairly good.

T - Wonderful sweet taste, very delicious pale ale. Smooth and creamy, and very tasty. Picking up some hot buttered toast and a little some potato chip on the tongue, and something akin to a fried dough on the rest of my mouth, very good. Has a great salty aftertaste too, almost like french fries.

M - Not too thick or thin, a good place for a beer to be.

O - Another good beer by the SBC, so far they haven't let me down! Haven't been able to get a hold of their third beer, but I'll see where the beer gods take me next. A must try for any fan of pale ales!

1.75/5  rDev -46.2%

2.83/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured into a shaker pint: Honey-gold body, transparent, under a finger of soft beige head that falls to a thick coating.

Interesting smell of subdued, sweetly bread malts with a little bit of sulfuric or vegetal note. Earthy, slightly peppery hops. Puts me in a mind of a helles bock, with the sweetly biscuity, honey-ish character & smell I can only characterize as "light", though that's not a great descriptor. Maybe a little mineral. As a previous reviewer said, not that far from an American lager but with a little more grain & hop character.

Very light graininess off the bat that quickly gets overwhelmed by a moderate bitterness. That's right, a *moderate* bitterness, which just speaks to what a pushover the malt is. A little lemony, very leafy & even soapy bitterness, it really takes over & it's hard to get much else out of this. Warmly pithy, orange peel.

Medium-bodied, a moderate effervescence, & that unbalanced hop flavor kind of rakes the palate, deadening my tastebuds but leaving just a tinge of sugar in the finish.

I was really interested to see something by Susquehanna in my neck of the woods, but this seems to be really out of balance, even for its overall restrained character. And yeah, it's hard to shake that phantom macro-lager profile, though this definitely has more to offer. Let's talk about marketing & expectations here. They call this a "stock ale" on the label & website, which to me says "old ale", though it's 5.5% ABV & listed on BA here as an American pale. Maybe I'm a little shy on my history here, but I really didn't know where to calibrate my expectations of this beer. Hopefully my appraisal didn't suffer, but it was a bit confusing. Regardless of what it's "supposed" to be, the lack of balance really hurt it.

3.15/5  rDev -3.1%

I recently wrote about Susquehanna BC for my column in Ale Street News, so I consider what I am currently doing to be "research". I found out that Jaime Jurado is no longer with them, leaving my old friend, Guy Hagner, solidly in charge of the brewing operation. Cool!

From the bottle: "People Beer by Beer People"; "You could say beer is in our blood. For six generations now - before it was hip to brew beer - we were setting the standard for perfect, drinkable beers right here in Northeastern Pennsylvania. This Stock Ale you're holding stays true to all six of those generations. We start with our unique blend of malt from the venerable Muntons malt house in Britain, and the finest hops from Oregon. Then, we finish in the hopjack for the signature hop flavor. Curious what beer tasted like way back then? The answer's right here."

My initial pour produced two fingers of fizzy, rocky french-vanilla colored head with decent retention. Color was a deep coppery-amber (SRM = 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose gave off a metallic twang along with a piney hop character. Mouthfeel was medium, approaching fullness, and the taste was odd for the style, more caramel malt-forward than I expected or would have liked with the hops almost a passenger along for the ride. I got a quick wash of grassy mintiness on the finish, but this was not my bag, especially in light of the style. That said, I have gathered that they like to play around with styles and such at SBC, but they need to play just a bit more with this one, IMHO. YMMV.

6th Generation Stock Ale from Susquehanna Brewing Company