6th Generation Stock Ale - Susquehanna Brewing Company

6th Generation Stock Ale6th Generation Stock Ale

Susquehanna Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Old Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: undeadozzy on 06-12-2012)

I'm not going to rate this beer on the norms of rating beer but I will say this that the other people that gave a review on this either work or have some sort of affiliation with this brewery to rate this so high I personally think that this beer is a total drain pour it tastes like miller light with more of a "beer" taste to it

ripocceschi, Aug 15, 2012

clark25, May 12, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -14.9%

jameyp, Feb 10, 2013
2.83/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured into a shaker pint: Honey-gold body, transparent, under a finger of soft beige head that falls to a thick coating.

Interesting smell of subdued, sweetly bread malts with a little bit of sulfuric or vegetal note. Earthy, slightly peppery hops. Puts me in a mind of a helles bock, with the sweetly biscuity, honey-ish character & smell I can only characterize as "light", though that's not a great descriptor. Maybe a little mineral. As a previous reviewer said, not that far from an American lager but with a little more grain & hop character.

Very light graininess off the bat that quickly gets overwhelmed by a moderate bitterness. That's right, a *moderate* bitterness, which just speaks to what a pushover the malt is. A little lemony, very leafy & even soapy bitterness, it really takes over & it's hard to get much else out of this. Warmly pithy, orange peel.

Medium-bodied, a moderate effervescence, & that unbalanced hop flavor kind of rakes the palate, deadening my tastebuds but leaving just a tinge of sugar in the finish.

I was really interested to see something by Susquehanna in my neck of the woods, but this seems to be really out of balance, even for its overall restrained character. And yeah, it's hard to shake that phantom macro-lager profile, though this definitely has more to offer. Let's talk about marketing & expectations here. They call this a "stock ale" on the label & website, which to me says "old ale", though it's 5.5% ABV & listed on BA here as an American pale. Maybe I'm a little shy on my history here, but I really didn't know where to calibrate my expectations of this beer. Hopefully my appraisal didn't suffer, but it was a bit confusing. Regardless of what it's "supposed" to be, the lack of balance really hurt it.

OneDropSoup, Dec 31, 2012

Budinetz, Jun 09, 2014

904Will, Feb 18, 2014

pajeff, Jul 29, 2013
3.03/5  rDev -6.2%

A-golden color with a smallish off-white head and a little lacing

S-bready malt, slight herbal, hint of sweetness

T-grainy malt, slight herbal/vegetal flavor, moderate bitter finish

F-light to medium body with moderate carbonation

O-nothing special, not a whole lot of flavor

MDDMD, May 03, 2013
3.15/5  rDev -2.5%

I recently wrote about Susquehanna BC for my column in Ale Street News, so I consider what I am currently doing to be "research". I found out that Jaime Jurado is no longer with them, leaving my old friend, Guy Hagner, solidly in charge of the brewing operation. Cool!

From the bottle: "People Beer by Beer People"; "You could say beer is in our blood. For six generations now - before it was hip to brew beer - we were setting the standard for perfect, drinkable beers right here in Northeastern Pennsylvania. This Stock Ale you're holding stays true to all six of those generations. We start with our unique blend of malt from the venerable Muntons malt house in Britain, and the finest hops from Oregon. Then, we finish in the hopjack for the signature hop flavor. Curious what beer tasted like way back then? The answer's right here."

My initial pour produced two fingers of fizzy, rocky french-vanilla colored head with decent retention. Color was a deep coppery-amber (SRM = 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose gave off a metallic twang along with a piney hop character. Mouthfeel was medium, approaching fullness, and the taste was odd for the style, more caramel malt-forward than I expected or would have liked with the hops almost a passenger along for the ride. I got a quick wash of grassy mintiness on the finish, but this was not my bag, especially in light of the style. That said, I have gathered that they like to play around with styles and such at SBC, but they need to play just a bit more with this one, IMHO. YMMV.

woodychandler, Nov 09, 2013