Pils Noir - Susquehanna Brewing Company

Pils NoirPils Noir

Susquehanna Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Euro Dark Lager |  4.90% ABV

We are pleased to share our innovative black Pilsner, Pils-Noir. Made from Pearl (Winter) barley, malted for us by Munton’s, CaraMalt and Crystal malts, prepared using our unique, husk-free milling process. We then naturally darken the beer using the classic Czech technique of decoction mashing. Hopped with Oregon Willamette, Mt. Hood and Washington hops, and finished with noble Czech Saaz for a fine aroma.

(Beer added by: RyanGoodman on 10-08-2012)
Reviews by BeerForMuscle:

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%

3.49/5  rDev +1.5%

P- Wegmans

A- cola/rootbeer type of look to it. Minimal head and ok lacing. Nothing exciting.

S- roatsed dark malts but no hop presence in the nose. it tends to be confusing because i am not getting an dominate scent.

F- caramelized sugar and molasses is what i get but i tastes like i am drinking a root beer with alcohol and dark malts mixed in.

M- smooth and light on the creamy side. It is nice gulper.

O- interesting and different. I dont beleive i have ever had a schwarzbier do i cant rate it accurately.

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

Dark malt pils. Not exceptionally malty nor exceptionally hoppy. If you like dark lagers this is for you to add to the beer you had. I will drink it again.

3.38/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.15/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

A - I love a good dark beer, and this one doesn't disappoint. Thin white head that disappeared quickly (sadly) but a deep blackened amber body helps to keep my attention.

S - Unlike a lot of dark beers I drink which have powerful odors, this doesn't really have any smell at all. I'm not sure if it's just because it was really cold or what, but no matter how hard I try to find anything scent to follow, I just can't find anything.

T - Tastes surprisingly good for having no smell. Tastes kinda like dark bread, maybe some molasses, and I can taste a little funk from the hops, but nothing overwhelming. Great session beer, but don't go in expecting anything deep.

M - Watery but smooth, and not washed-out feeling. Like a generic macro beer.

O - Not bad. A unique brew if anything, a gimmick if you will. Don't get me wrong, it's a good beer, but I would've hoped a little more character could be in a unique beer such as this. Regardless, SBC still has yet to disappoint me, so keep it up guys!

Pils Noir from Susquehanna Brewing Company