Pils Noir - Susquehanna Brewing Company

Pils NoirPils Noir

Susquehanna Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Euro Dark Lager |  4.90% ABV

We are pleased to share our innovative black Pilsner, Pils-Noir. Made from Pearl (Winter) barley, malted for us by Munton’s, CaraMalt and Crystal malts, prepared using our unique, husk-free milling process. We then naturally darken the beer using the classic Czech technique of decoction mashing. Hopped with Oregon Willamette, Mt. Hood and Washington hops, and finished with noble Czech Saaz for a fine aroma.

(Beer added by: RyanGoodman on 10-08-2012)
4.5/5  rDev +30.8%

IPhantom, Aug 24, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

cyguyjg, Jan 18, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

ClarkHimself, Apr 17, 2013
4.13/5  rDev +20.1%

SBC touts this beer as a black pilsner, a twist on the classic pilsner. Also, their website reports that they use Pearl (Winter) barley from Muntons for this beer.

A - The appearance is black, but when you put light behind it, you see a crimson/brownish color. A small head formed at pour, but diminished to a decent size ring around the glass after a few moments.

S - Smell is a pilsner bullseye. Very inviting with it's German effervescence. If you close your eyes, you're taken to a field of barley as the gentle breeze blows.

T - I didn't know what to expect tasting a "black pilsner", and I wasn't dissappointed. The basic flavor is truly pilsner, not overly malty, nor too much with the hops. It is zesty, however. It quenched my thirst as I was eating cheese and peppers.

M - The carbonation was well done, popping across the palate.

O - I'm not a huge pilsner drinker, but this one was very enjoyable. One of my final beers before we move to Bolivia, the boring beer capital of the world.

Once again, thank you SBC!

RyanGoodman, Oct 08, 2012

Minus_Mike, Feb 28, 2014

JeffTheJuice, Oct 30, 2012

deapokid, Sep 23, 2013

jp312, Mar 23, 2013

mnoel219, Aug 06, 2014

chasmandocharles, Jul 07, 2013
3.95/5  rDev +14.8%

My first brew from this start up and a good choice on my part I think.
Pils noir has a deep garnet crimson brown color with a smallish head and gentile carbonation. pleasing inn appearance.

Aroma is light with a sutle spiciness over a sutle roasted malt smell.

Taste is good. There is a very sutle roasted malt taste intermingled in the sutle spicy pils.
A bit course drinking but flows farily smooth over the palette.
I like this beer it was good. I hope to try more of thier products as they come my way.

micromaniac129, Nov 17, 2012
3.88/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I've had this both on-tap and in bottle. Oddly, at least for me, the bottle is better than the on-tap version. The bottle was better by a lot, too.

A--It pours a deep, dark brown with a medium head that doesn't leave much lacing. Looks pretty good.

S--Oh, yeah there's something good going on here. It's sweet & malty. Can't wait to taste it.

T--Sweet, with a ton of fruitiness. Finish is a bit dry/tannic. Simply tastes good, although that's not as descriptive as this site usually generates. But good is good, regardless.

M--Smooth & easy going. It'll go down easy.

O--Just a step below excellent. Still , "pretty damn good" is pretty damn good. I'd give it two thumbs up, especially at its reasonable price. Still finding it hard to believe that I preferred the bottle to the draught, though.

horshamguy, Jul 11, 2013
3.84/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

It bothers me that this is being called a "Schwartzbier" since it mentions "Pils" and "classic Czech technique" on the labels. Euro Dark Lager seems to be more fitting. I am put in mind of Film Noir and as a film buff with a Film Studies Certificate from Pitt, some classic crime instrumentals are in order as I begin this review.

From the bottle: "People Beer by Beer People"; "We're beer people. 6th-generation and going strong with roots that stretch from Northeastern Pennsylvania to the edges of the Black Forest. This Pils-Noir is our tribute to that heritage. It's a new twist on the classic pilsner, with fine malts prepared with our unique husk-free milling process. And it's freshly innovative, naturally darkened with the classic Czech technique of decoction mashing, then finished with a touch of hops. Some beers are crowd pleasers. This one is a generation pleaser.

My pour netted me a finger of fizzy, deep-tan head that quickly fell away to wisps. Color was a deep-garnet or deep-ruby (SRM = > 27, < 34) with NE-quality clarity when held up to the dying light of the day. Nose had a very caramel-like sweetness, perhaps from the decoction. Caramel and milk chocolate, actually. Mouthfeel was prickly, as though the carbonation was very tight. The taste was smoky, chocolaty, a little nutty and somewhat caramel. Man, this was a liquid candy bar of some stripe, although I could not put my finger on it. Finish was a bit too sweet for my taste, but there was nothing intrinsically wrong with it. You might be disappointed if you had your heart set on a schwartzbier, but otherwise, this was a decent bier.

woodychandler, Nov 06, 2013