Pils Noir - Susquehanna Brewing Company

Susquehanna Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Euro Dark Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: RyanGoodman on 10-08-2012

We are pleased to share our innovative black Pilsner, Pils-Noir. Made from Pearl (Winter) barley, malted for us by Munton’s, CaraMalt and Crystal malts, prepared using our unique, husk-free milling process. We then naturally darken the beer using the classic Czech technique of decoction mashing. Hopped with Oregon Willamette, Mt. Hood and Washington hops, and finished with noble Czech Saaz for a fine aroma.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 118 | Reviews: 22

3.75/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pils Noir pours a dark copper color with a small non-lacing head. There is a rich malty aroma, with a nice spice note. the taste has nice malty backbone, with a good spice note, nice crisp sweet malt finish. Nice flavors, but overall the body is a bit watery. Overall its a nice lighter beer, good spice notes, nice flavors.

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%

3.86/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

It bothers me that this is being called a "Schwartzbier" since it mentions "Pils" and "classic Czech technique" on the labels. Euro Dark Lager seems to be more fitting. I am put in mind of Film Noir and as a film buff with a Film Studies Certificate from Pitt, some classic crime instrumentals are in order as I begin this review.

From the bottle: "People Beer by Beer People"; "We're beer people. 6th-generation and going strong with roots that stretch from Northeastern Pennsylvania to the edges of the Black Forest. This Pils-Noir is our tribute to that heritage. It's a new twist on the classic pilsner, with fine malts prepared with our unique husk-free milling process. And it's freshly innovative, naturally darkened with the classic Czech technique of decoction mashing, then finished with a touch of hops. Some beers are crowd pleasers. This one is a generation pleaser.

My pour netted me a finger of fizzy, deep-tan head that quickly fell away to wisps. Color was a deep-garnet or deep-ruby (SRM = > 27, < 34) with NE-quality clarity when held up to the dying light of the day. Nose had a very caramel-like sweetness, perhaps from the decoction. Caramel and milk chocolate, actually. Mouthfeel was prickly, as though the carbonation was very tight. The taste was smoky, chocolaty, a little nutty and somewhat caramel. Man, this was a liquid candy bar of some stripe, although I could not put my finger on it. Finish was a bit too sweet for my taste, but there was nothing intrinsically wrong with it. You might be disappointed if you had your heart set on a schwartzbier, but otherwise, this was a decent bier.

3.03/5  rDev -11.9%

Appearance is brown with ruby edges and a thin film of head. The nose is very mild. The flavor profile includes very mild maltiness with some dry hop bitterness on the finish. This offering is very light bodied with muted flavors.

That said, this offering did pair well with my tilapia dinner.

3.43/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

An interesting dark pilsner that was very satisfying on a hot summer day. I picked up a growler at a local Tap Room after sampling a few other beers on tap. Susquehanna Brewing did a decent job on this beer and I look forward to trying other brews from these guys. overall I enjoyed this unique brew.

Bottom Line: Decent brew

3.84/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I've had this both on-tap and in bottle. Oddly, at least for me, the bottle is better than the on-tap version. The bottle was better by a lot, too.

A--It pours a deep, dark brown with a medium head that doesn't leave much lacing. Looks pretty good.

S--Oh, yeah there's something good going on here. It's sweet & malty. Can't wait to taste it.

T--Sweet, with a ton of fruitiness. Finish is a bit dry/tannic. Simply tastes good, although that's not as descriptive as this site usually generates. But good is good, regardless.

M--Smooth & easy going. It'll go down easy.

O--Just a step below excellent. Still , "pretty damn good" is pretty damn good. I'd give it two thumbs up, especially at its reasonable price. Still finding it hard to believe that I preferred the bottle to the draught, though.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Pils Noir from Susquehanna Brewing Company