Hopfive IPA - Susquehanna Brewing Company

Hopfive IPAHopfive IPA

Susquehanna Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: undeadozzy on 01-04-2013)
4.23/5  rDev +31.4%

I almost lost this little guy a couple of days ago. I innocuously opened the reefer door and he decided to take a suicide leap from the shelf upon which he was perched. Employing my cat-like reflexes, I managed to kick my foot out and soften his landing! I could tell that he was plenty shaken by his experience, intentional or no, and I put him back in the reefer, albeit on a lower shelf, to settle down. Poor little IPA!

From the bottle: "People Beer by Beer People"; "There was a time when a hard day's work was punctuated with a sweating glass of effervescent goodness. Call us old-fashioned, but we're hanging onto that day. Five different hop varieties - Bravo, Willamette, Mount Hood, English Progress and as-harvested whole-cone Liberty Hops - guarantee a floral, piney aroma with just a hint of citrus and full hop flavor. Matched with 55 IBUs and our signature golden glow, HopFive might just be the most enjoyable IPA you've ever had."

Days later, upon popping the cap, I was still getting some foaming action, so I allowed it to sit in the now-open bottle while I transcribed the above. I do not recommend any of what I have done to be attempted by anyone as I was just lucky not to have either breakage or a gusher. My initial pour produced naught but dense, rocky, French Vanilla-colored foam, so I backed off to allow it to settle before proceeding. Color was a cloudy golden-yellow (SRM = 5), but none of my golden boys, Midas, Croesus nor Mammon, showed any interest. I guess that they prefer clarity, but I will take the blame for my mishandling of my bottle. YMMV. Pine and grapefruit assaulted my nasal cavity and my mouth began to water.

I tied off, like the hops junkie that I once was, am, and seemingly always will be. I now just do it as maintenance as my habit has grown too big to satiate. The howling monkey on my back has departed for greener pastures and as I drew a hit into the tube just before I jammed the spike into its usual entryway and depressed the plunger, I thought back to a time when I had no idea what hops were or what they did for beer. Ah, youthful innocence, now followed by bliss.

The mouthfeel was medium and I believe the reason for this beer's cloudiness was its saturation with hops! The intensity of the bitterness was scrubbing my tongue free of all of the dead taste buds, leaving open wounds in its wake. Unbalanced? Yes, but that speaks to my dislike of Cascadian/Black IPAs - the malt gets in the way of my beloved hops, where malt may have been an afterthought in this one. Hops, hops, and more hops. Gimme dem hops, man! Finish was dry, bitter, much the way I felt when The Old Lady gave me my walking papers this past summer. Suddenly, I was jonesing for her and some more hops ...

Man, I gotta find my dealer's number. I suddenly have the urge to suck on a hops pellet and stare at the TV set for the rest of the day.

woodychandler, Nov 09, 2013

aqualung23, Dec 31, 2013

girafarig, Jul 25, 2014

chasmandocharles, May 06, 2013
3.85/5  rDev +19.6%

A - Poured from a bottle into a stout glass. Rich golden color and a thick frothy head.

S - THE HOPS! Seriously, it's like a wall of hops just hit me in the face! Very rich musk, lots of touches of pine and citrus too.

T - Not bad given it's the brewery's first IPA. Has a taste akin to Red Hook's Longhammer IPA, sharp hop sting followed by the cirtus /pine kick and some sweet maltiness at the end.

M - Feels like beer, nothing good or bad, just average.

O - A great IPA for the money, keep up the good work SBC!

undeadozzy, Jan 04, 2013
3.79/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

This brew was in a gift pack from my brothers for my birthday. Thanks guys!
Pouring a cellar temp bottle into my Rapscallion snifter.
The beer pours a bright gold hue with just a little bit of haze and several streams of carbonation rising to the surface. Large bleached white fluffy head of 4 cm foams up and almost overs the top of my snifter.
Aroma is pine sap and grass with a little bit of sweet malt buried in the background.
Not overpowering nose but an appealing scent.
The beer is easy to drink with a clean crisp body and texture and fine yet prickly carbonation.
Flavor is grassy and bitter hops with just a hint of sweet malt on the finish. The beer dries out nicely after each swallow and lingering astringency coats my palate.
The beer has no flaws and goes down nicely on a warm evening. Im glad to have tried this beer and would try other styles from the brewery if i found any bottles. Nice to see somebody brewing simple, straightforward, no-flaw beers.

sulldaddy, Jul 20, 2013
3.76/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from growler into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a lightly hazed golden-amber color with a two finger head of white foam. The head initially fades very fast, but leaves a persistent foam film on the surface of the brew. Upon fading the head leaves a fantastic level of foamy lace on the sides of the glass and over time leaves some islands of foam on the surface of the beer.

Smell – The aroma of the beer is light overall. The heaviest smell is that of a pine aroma mixed with some other hop smells of a more grassy nature. Some sweeter aromas are there as well, with them consisting of a mix of caramel and a bit of tangerine and sweeter grapefruit.

Taste – The taste begins with a sweeter tropical fruit flavor with that of tangerine being the heaviest but also containing flavors of mango and pineapple as well. Along with the fruity start, there is a nice bready and hop backbone with the hop being initially almost entirely of a grapefruit flavor. The grapefruit is later joined by some other hop flavors of a grassy and pine nature with the grassy initially being more potent than the pine, but with the pine later really stepping it up and becoming the dominate hop flavor. With a little bit of a hay and a little more fruity sweetness, one is left with a smooth, moderately sweet and nicely bittered, but balanced flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the average side in terms of thickness and creaminess with a carbonation level that was on the average side as well. For the mix of hop and sweet in this brew, the moderacy of the carbonation and body are very nice supporting the flavors nicely, but not overwhelming the tongue and all the while making for a rather refreshing brew.

Overall – This was a quite enjoyable IPA overall. It had a nice blend of hop, sweet and enough malt to uphold it all.

Darkmagus82, May 05, 2014

TimoP, Jan 16, 2013

DCHritz, May 01, 2014

Pothagerous, Jan 07, 2014

RobertColianni, Sep 19, 2013
3.55/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a beautiful gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a light, crisp malt scent that boasts mostly of pale malts. It provides an adequate base, but not much complexity. The hop aroma is mild at best. It has a tame bitter aroma, especially for an American IPA. The taste is decent as well. It's easy drinking with just a mild hop character. It's bitter up front with a solid pale malt balance. It's bone dry and balanced. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate/good carbonation. This is a good drinker, but not a very interesting IPA.

WesWes, Apr 11, 2013
3.53/5  rDev +9.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A--Slightly hazy, golden color. Looks like a proper beer. Head was minimal, lacing was non-existent.

S--Sweet, fruity with a lot of apricot. No noticable hoppy aromas (pine, citrus, etc...). Excellent smell, just not really like an IPA.

T--Follows the smell. Sweet and fruity, with minimal hop bite and minimal flavors typical of an IPA. There's maltiness and yeastiness present, which are very good, but again, not reminiscent of an IPA.

M--Good carbonation. A slight astringency. Quenching.

O--I'd rate it lower as an IPA, but higher as a generic beer. My rating is in the middle b/c I really liked it, but it's just not an IPA. Definitely a good beer for a hot day, though.

horshamguy, Jul 23, 2014
3.51/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Clouded amber gold. Nice head. Muted nose. Malty and hoppy mix on the flavor. No real strong defining flavor. It's an ipa. And it's consistent and good enough, sure. Just not overly inspiring. This would be good enough to drink in a bar or a restaurant at random. For the beer nerd, it really isn't going to much though.

RblWthACoz, Jun 18, 2013