2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hopfive IPA - Susquehanna Brewing Company

Hopfive IPAHopfive IPA

Susquehanna Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: undeadozzy on 01-04-2013)
View: Beers (9) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 56 | Reviews: 10 | Show All Ratings:
Rifugium

2.95/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

First had: on tap at Rodano's, Wilkes-Barre, PA

Well, it was the only thing on tap I hadn't seen or had before, and it was either "try something new," or belly up to a Guinness, so what the hell.

Golden color with a slight chill haze, but otherwise fairly clear, with a thin cap of white bubbles that soon dissipated almost completely; no lacing. Light aroma, herbal hops, ripe stone fruits, bready malts. Really weak taste for an IPA, with almost no character at all; basically reflected the aroma, light herbal hops soon overtaken with a bready malt sweetness and a light estery fruit quality. Body was light, mouthfeel was thin and unadventurous, but on the plus side it wasn't harsh at all, so it went down pretty easy. Overall an easy drinker, but not something I'd reach for again unless I had to. Should've gone for the Guinness.

03-24-2014 05:00:59 | More by Rifugium
Slatetank

3.48/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I picked this up at Wegman's enjoyed chilled from a mug out of a 12oz brown bottle.

The color is an apricot shade of amber with moderate haziness and thick off white cream with average bead, lace stickage is decent. The smell is a mix of floral with wierd dried fruit from the yeast and an almost bready malt odor. The feel is decent with moderate bitterness and medium carbonation with semi sweet middle with bitterness that ramps up toward the finish with gentle dry body and mild alcohol influence.

The taste is good not a ton of hop flavor but good amount of pine and slight fruitiness from the yeast which brings out a mild hint of citrus but more caramel in the taste making a sweet middle and balancing the beer a little. Overall this is not a bad IPA, not exceptional either, somewhere middle of the road which is why I probably would pass on another purchase.

01-25-2014 00:32:12 | More by Slatetank
yourefragile

District of Columbia

3.3/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Stubby 12 oz bottle.

Pours a clear golden copper with a large foamy cream white head. Good retention, abundant clumpy lace. Slightly soapy nose, floral and pine bitterness, not much else. A little more depth to flavor than nose, with a smooth pale malt body, not overly sweet, bitter pine cone finish. Adequate, nothing special.

01-19-2014 23:09:53 | More by yourefragile
woodychandler

4.23/5  rDev +29.4%

I almost lost this little guy a couple of days ago. I innocuously opened the reefer door and he decided to take a suicide leap from the shelf upon which he was perched. Employing my cat-like reflexes, I managed to kick my foot out and soften his landing! I could tell that he was plenty shaken by his experience, intentional or no, and I put him back in the reefer, albeit on a lower shelf, to settle down. Poor little IPA!

From the bottle: "People Beer by Beer People"; "There was a time when a hard day's work was punctuated with a sweating glass of effervescent goodness. Call us old-fashioned, but we're hanging onto that day. Five different hop varieties - Bravo, Willamette, Mount Hood, English Progress and as-harvested whole-cone Liberty Hops - guarantee a floral, piney aroma with just a hint of citrus and full hop flavor. Matched with 55 IBUs and our signature golden glow, HopFive might just be the most enjoyable IPA you've ever had."

Days later, upon popping the cap, I was still getting some foaming action, so I allowed it to sit in the now-open bottle while I transcribed the above. I do not recommend any of what I have done to be attempted by anyone as I was just lucky not to have either breakage or a gusher. My initial pour produced naught but dense, rocky, French Vanilla-colored foam, so I backed off to allow it to settle before proceeding. Color was a cloudy golden-yellow (SRM = 5), but none of my golden boys, Midas, Croesus nor Mammon, showed any interest. I guess that they prefer clarity, but I will take the blame for my mishandling of my bottle. YMMV. Pine and grapefruit assaulted my nasal cavity and my mouth began to water.

I tied off, like the hops junkie that I once was, am, and seemingly always will be. I now just do it as maintenance as my habit has grown too big to satiate. The howling monkey on my back has departed for greener pastures and as I drew a hit into the tube just before I jammed the spike into its usual entryway and depressed the plunger, I thought back to a time when I had no idea what hops were or what they did for beer. Ah, youthful innocence, now followed by bliss.

The mouthfeel was medium and I believe the reason for this beer's cloudiness was its saturation with hops! The intensity of the bitterness was scrubbing my tongue free of all of the dead taste buds, leaving open wounds in its wake. Unbalanced? Yes, but that speaks to my dislike of Cascadian/Black IPAs - the malt gets in the way of my beloved hops, where malt may have been an afterthought in this one. Hops, hops, and more hops. Gimme dem hops, man! Finish was dry, bitter, much the way I felt when The Old Lady gave me my walking papers this past summer. Suddenly, I was jonesing for her and some more hops ...

Man, I gotta find my dealer's number. I suddenly have the urge to suck on a hops pellet and stare at the TV set for the rest of the day.

11-09-2013 13:43:42 | More by woodychandler
sulldaddy

Connecticut

3.79/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

This brew was in a gift pack from my brothers for my birthday. Thanks guys!
Pouring a cellar temp bottle into my Rapscallion snifter.
The beer pours a bright gold hue with just a little bit of haze and several streams of carbonation rising to the surface. Large bleached white fluffy head of 4 cm foams up and almost overs the top of my snifter.
Aroma is pine sap and grass with a little bit of sweet malt buried in the background.
Not overpowering nose but an appealing scent.
The beer is easy to drink with a clean crisp body and texture and fine yet prickly carbonation.
Flavor is grassy and bitter hops with just a hint of sweet malt on the finish. The beer dries out nicely after each swallow and lingering astringency coats my palate.
The beer has no flaws and goes down nicely on a warm evening. Im glad to have tried this beer and would try other styles from the brewery if i found any bottles. Nice to see somebody brewing simple, straightforward, no-flaw beers.

07-20-2013 04:03:41 | More by sulldaddy
RblWthACoz

3.51/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Clouded amber gold. Nice head. Muted nose. Malty and hoppy mix on the flavor. No real strong defining flavor. It's an ipa. And it's consistent and good enough, sure. Just not overly inspiring. This would be good enough to drink in a bar or a restaurant at random. For the beer nerd, it really isn't going to much though.

06-18-2013 04:14:34 | More by RblWthACoz
tone77

3.29/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1 inch head. Lots of lacing here. Smell is kind of mild, some hops. Taste is is hops, some pine, bitterness, but not a great deal of it, a bit subdued. Feels light in the mouth and overall, whie not bad, just seems to be lacking for the style.

06-08-2013 14:10:47 | More by tone77
RonfromJersey

2.38/5  rDev -27.2%

Pale gold body, good clarity, numerous carbonation streams, topped by a huge ball of eggshell white foam. Spotty lace.

Very mild aroma, hint of pine, bits of grass, all very fleeting.

Lightly sweet beginning is more thin coat than foundation. Building bitterness, but no other tastes. Peaks at the swallow and slow fade.

Ok mouthfeel.

One of the most uninteresting IPAs I've had in awhile, and that is the best I can say. Pass.

06-02-2013 04:21:51 | More by RonfromJersey
WesWes

3.55/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a beautiful gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a light, crisp malt scent that boasts mostly of pale malts. It provides an adequate base, but not much complexity. The hop aroma is mild at best. It has a tame bitter aroma, especially for an American IPA. The taste is decent as well. It's easy drinking with just a mild hop character. It's bitter up front with a solid pale malt balance. It's bone dry and balanced. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate/good carbonation. This is a good drinker, but not a very interesting IPA.

04-11-2013 01:06:14 | More by WesWes
undeadozzy

3.85/5  rDev +17.7%

A - Poured from a bottle into a stout glass. Rich golden color and a thick frothy head.

S - THE HOPS! Seriously, it's like a wall of hops just hit me in the face! Very rich musk, lots of touches of pine and citrus too.

T - Not bad given it's the brewery's first IPA. Has a taste akin to Red Hook's Longhammer IPA, sharp hop sting followed by the cirtus /pine kick and some sweet maltiness at the end.

M - Feels like beer, nothing good or bad, just average.

O - A great IPA for the money, keep up the good work SBC!

01-04-2013 16:52:57 | More by undeadozzy