Hopfive IPA - Susquehanna Brewing Company

Hopfive IPAHopfive IPA

Susquehanna Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: undeadozzy on 01-04-2013)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Darkmagus82

3.76/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from growler into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a lightly hazed golden-amber color with a two finger head of white foam. The head initially fades very fast, but leaves a persistent foam film on the surface of the brew. Upon fading the head leaves a fantastic level of foamy lace on the sides of the glass and over time leaves some islands of foam on the surface of the beer.

Smell – The aroma of the beer is light overall. The heaviest smell is that of a pine aroma mixed with some other hop smells of a more grassy nature. Some sweeter aromas are there as well, with them consisting of a mix of caramel and a bit of tangerine and sweeter grapefruit.

Taste – The taste begins with a sweeter tropical fruit flavor with that of tangerine being the heaviest but also containing flavors of mango and pineapple as well. Along with the fruity start, there is a nice bready and hop backbone with the hop being initially almost entirely of a grapefruit flavor. The grapefruit is later joined by some other hop flavors of a grassy and pine nature with the grassy initially being more potent than the pine, but with the pine later really stepping it up and becoming the dominate hop flavor. With a little bit of a hay and a little more fruity sweetness, one is left with a smooth, moderately sweet and nicely bittered, but balanced flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the average side in terms of thickness and creaminess with a carbonation level that was on the average side as well. For the mix of hop and sweet in this brew, the moderacy of the carbonation and body are very nice supporting the flavors nicely, but not overwhelming the tongue and all the while making for a rather refreshing brew.

Overall – This was a quite enjoyable IPA overall. It had a nice blend of hop, sweet and enough malt to uphold it all.

Serving type: growler

Bdel34

03-26-2014 22:46:48 | More by Bdel34
Rifugium

2.95/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

First had: on tap at Rodano's, Wilkes-Barre, PA

Well, it was the only thing on tap I hadn't seen or had before, and it was either "try something new," or belly up to a Guinness, so what the hell.

Golden color with a slight chill haze, but otherwise fairly clear, with a thin cap of white bubbles that soon dissipated almost completely; no lacing. Light aroma, herbal hops, ripe stone fruits, bready malts. Really weak taste for an IPA, with almost no character at all; basically reflected the aroma, light herbal hops soon overtaken with a bready malt sweetness and a light estery fruit quality. Body was light, mouthfeel was thin and unadventurous, but on the plus side it wasn't harsh at all, so it went down pretty easy. Overall an easy drinker, but not something I'd reach for again unless I had to. Should've gone for the Guinness.

03-24-2014 05:00:59 | More by Rifugium

Goldndomer

02-10-2014 02:22:14 | More by Goldndomer
Slatetank

3.48/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I picked this up at Wegman's enjoyed chilled from a mug out of a 12oz brown bottle.

The color is an apricot shade of amber with moderate haziness and thick off white cream with average bead, lace stickage is decent. The smell is a mix of floral with wierd dried fruit from the yeast and an almost bready malt odor. The feel is decent with moderate bitterness and medium carbonation with semi sweet middle with bitterness that ramps up toward the finish with gentle dry body and mild alcohol influence.

The taste is good not a ton of hop flavor but good amount of pine and slight fruitiness from the yeast which brings out a mild hint of citrus but more caramel in the taste making a sweet middle and balancing the beer a little. Overall this is not a bad IPA, not exceptional either, somewhere middle of the road which is why I probably would pass on another purchase.

01-25-2014 00:32:12 | More by Slatetank
yourefragile

District of Columbia

3.3/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Stubby 12 oz bottle.

Pours a clear golden copper with a large foamy cream white head. Good retention, abundant clumpy lace. Slightly soapy nose, floral and pine bitterness, not much else. A little more depth to flavor than nose, with a smooth pale malt body, not overly sweet, bitter pine cone finish. Adequate, nothing special.

01-19-2014 23:09:53 | More by yourefragile

dreichus

11-09-2013 23:42:51 | More by dreichus
woodychandler

4.23/5  rDev +31.8%

I almost lost this little guy a couple of days ago. I innocuously opened the reefer door and he decided to take a suicide leap from the shelf upon which he was perched. Employing my cat-like reflexes, I managed to kick my foot out and soften his landing! I could tell that he was plenty shaken by his experience, intentional or no, and I put him back in the reefer, albeit on a lower shelf, to settle down. Poor little IPA!

From the bottle: "People Beer by Beer People"; "There was a time when a hard day's work was punctuated with a sweating glass of effervescent goodness. Call us old-fashioned, but we're hanging onto that day. Five different hop varieties - Bravo, Willamette, Mount Hood, English Progress and as-harvested whole-cone Liberty Hops - guarantee a floral, piney aroma with just a hint of citrus and full hop flavor. Matched with 55 IBUs and our signature golden glow, HopFive might just be the most enjoyable IPA you've ever had."

Days later, upon popping the cap, I was still getting some foaming action, so I allowed it to sit in the now-open bottle while I transcribed the above. I do not recommend any of what I have done to be attempted by anyone as I was just lucky not to have either breakage or a gusher. My initial pour produced naught but dense, rocky, French Vanilla-colored foam, so I backed off to allow it to settle before proceeding. Color was a cloudy golden-yellow (SRM = 5), but none of my golden boys, Midas, Croesus nor Mammon, showed any interest. I guess that they prefer clarity, but I will take the blame for my mishandling of my bottle. YMMV. Pine and grapefruit assaulted my nasal cavity and my mouth began to water.

I tied off, like the hops junkie that I once was, am, and seemingly always will be. I now just do it as maintenance as my habit has grown too big to satiate. The howling monkey on my back has departed for greener pastures and as I drew a hit into the tube just before I jammed the spike into its usual entryway and depressed the plunger, I thought back to a time when I had no idea what hops were or what they did for beer. Ah, youthful innocence, now followed by bliss.

The mouthfeel was medium and I believe the reason for this beer's cloudiness was its saturation with hops! The intensity of the bitterness was scrubbing my tongue free of all of the dead taste buds, leaving open wounds in its wake. Unbalanced? Yes, but that speaks to my dislike of Cascadian/Black IPAs - the malt gets in the way of my beloved hops, where malt may have been an afterthought in this one. Hops, hops, and more hops. Gimme dem hops, man! Finish was dry, bitter, much the way I felt when The Old Lady gave me my walking papers this past summer. Suddenly, I was jonesing for her and some more hops ...

Man, I gotta find my dealer's number. I suddenly have the urge to suck on a hops pellet and stare at the TV set for the rest of the day.

11-09-2013 13:43:42 | More by woodychandler