Hopfive IPA - Susquehanna Brewing Company

Hopfive IPAHopfive IPA

Susquehanna Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: undeadozzy on 01-04-2013)

Genx, Jan 02, 2014

cjac, Jan 01, 2014

aqualung23, Dec 31, 2013

pearljam118, Dec 12, 2013

dgherm, Nov 16, 2013

dreichus, Nov 09, 2013
4.23/5  rDev +31.4%

I almost lost this little guy a couple of days ago. I innocuously opened the reefer door and he decided to take a suicide leap from the shelf upon which he was perched. Employing my cat-like reflexes, I managed to kick my foot out and soften his landing! I could tell that he was plenty shaken by his experience, intentional or no, and I put him back in the reefer, albeit on a lower shelf, to settle down. Poor little IPA!

From the bottle: "People Beer by Beer People"; "There was a time when a hard day's work was punctuated with a sweating glass of effervescent goodness. Call us old-fashioned, but we're hanging onto that day. Five different hop varieties - Bravo, Willamette, Mount Hood, English Progress and as-harvested whole-cone Liberty Hops - guarantee a floral, piney aroma with just a hint of citrus and full hop flavor. Matched with 55 IBUs and our signature golden glow, HopFive might just be the most enjoyable IPA you've ever had."

Days later, upon popping the cap, I was still getting some foaming action, so I allowed it to sit in the now-open bottle while I transcribed the above. I do not recommend any of what I have done to be attempted by anyone as I was just lucky not to have either breakage or a gusher. My initial pour produced naught but dense, rocky, French Vanilla-colored foam, so I backed off to allow it to settle before proceeding. Color was a cloudy golden-yellow (SRM = 5), but none of my golden boys, Midas, Croesus nor Mammon, showed any interest. I guess that they prefer clarity, but I will take the blame for my mishandling of my bottle. YMMV. Pine and grapefruit assaulted my nasal cavity and my mouth began to water.

I tied off, like the hops junkie that I once was, am, and seemingly always will be. I now just do it as maintenance as my habit has grown too big to satiate. The howling monkey on my back has departed for greener pastures and as I drew a hit into the tube just before I jammed the spike into its usual entryway and depressed the plunger, I thought back to a time when I had no idea what hops were or what they did for beer. Ah, youthful innocence, now followed by bliss.

The mouthfeel was medium and I believe the reason for this beer's cloudiness was its saturation with hops! The intensity of the bitterness was scrubbing my tongue free of all of the dead taste buds, leaving open wounds in its wake. Unbalanced? Yes, but that speaks to my dislike of Cascadian/Black IPAs - the malt gets in the way of my beloved hops, where malt may have been an afterthought in this one. Hops, hops, and more hops. Gimme dem hops, man! Finish was dry, bitter, much the way I felt when The Old Lady gave me my walking papers this past summer. Suddenly, I was jonesing for her and some more hops ...

Man, I gotta find my dealer's number. I suddenly have the urge to suck on a hops pellet and stare at the TV set for the rest of the day.

woodychandler, Nov 09, 2013

yuenglingade, Sep 06, 2013

George2744, Sep 01, 2013

Dreamer, Aug 10, 2013
3.79/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

This brew was in a gift pack from my brothers for my birthday. Thanks guys!
Pouring a cellar temp bottle into my Rapscallion snifter.
The beer pours a bright gold hue with just a little bit of haze and several streams of carbonation rising to the surface. Large bleached white fluffy head of 4 cm foams up and almost overs the top of my snifter.
Aroma is pine sap and grass with a little bit of sweet malt buried in the background.
Not overpowering nose but an appealing scent.
The beer is easy to drink with a clean crisp body and texture and fine yet prickly carbonation.
Flavor is grassy and bitter hops with just a hint of sweet malt on the finish. The beer dries out nicely after each swallow and lingering astringency coats my palate.
The beer has no flaws and goes down nicely on a warm evening. Im glad to have tried this beer and would try other styles from the brewery if i found any bottles. Nice to see somebody brewing simple, straightforward, no-flaw beers.

sulldaddy, Jul 20, 2013

CreightonSM, Jul 15, 2013

millerbuffoon, Jul 01, 2013

JeffTheJuice, Jun 26, 2013

TTripp725, Jun 24, 2013
3.51/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Clouded amber gold. Nice head. Muted nose. Malty and hoppy mix on the flavor. No real strong defining flavor. It's an ipa. And it's consistent and good enough, sure. Just not overly inspiring. This would be good enough to drink in a bar or a restaurant at random. For the beer nerd, it really isn't going to much though.

RblWthACoz, Jun 18, 2013