Pumpkin Ale - Susquehanna Brewing Company

Susquehanna Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  4.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Knapp85 on 09-12-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by magine:

magine, Oct 27, 2013

This is a mild and mediocre example of a pumpkin ale. The ABV is too low for this style, in my opinion. The flavor is decent but nothing that leaves you really craving this beer. It has a blended pumpkin and citrus taste which, though confusing, sort of works. I will have no problem finishing the 6-pack, but doubt I will purchase another. Better pumpkin ales are available in the same price range. I'll try again next year.

SOITGOES, Sep 27, 2013

3.25/5  rDev -4.7%

tvghost, Oct 14, 2013

IPAchris, Oct 06, 2013
4.28/5  rDev +25.5%

I am now searching for Johanna from Susquehanna (or thereabouts). I assume that she hails from NEPA and lives down by the river, but one never knows with these things. I may give Craigslist a shot to see if she responds.

From the bottle: "People Beer by Beer People"; "Ahh, fall. That colorful time of year when America piles into the family station wagon on a mission to pick out the prettiest pumpkin in the patch to take home and carve a scary face into. Well, we must admit we've never been too good at carving. But we're pretty good at turning a simple pumpkin into a tasty pumpkin ale. And that's exactly what we've done here. This one's got the right amount of spice - just enough to inspire anybody to give pumpkin carving one more try. So, if you'd excuse us, the family wagon awaits."

I purchased this from the fine folks at The Friendly Greek, a local bottle shop that caters to my whims. They happily broke a six pack of Pils-Noir into singles for me so that I could do a horizontal tasting, but I bought this out of their Pumpkin seasonal cooler and set it aside for a more appropriate occasion.

The pour was just downright pretty! Two fingers of luscious, dense, tawny head with great retention formed and beneath it sat an orange beer (SRM = > 9, < 13) that seemed to scream "Pumpkin!" along with NE-quality clarity. Nose was spicy, like fresh pumpkin pie, straight from the oven. My Pops and I used to cook and I wanted to be a pastry and dessert chef until my teenage plans got sidelined, but we made a great pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving during my Junior year of high school and this beer was evocative of that pie. Mouthfeel was full and creamy and although not quite as good as everyone's seeming favorite, Southern Tier's Pumking, this ranked up there for me. The taste was immediate with cinnamon, then nutmeg and allspice, giving my mouth a warm, comfortable feeling. My Hallowe'en pumpkin still sits on the porch, uncarved and unassailed, but I am anxiously awaiting Thanksgiving. This would be a great accompaniment to Thanksgiving dinner as it is like Baby Bear's version of a pumpkin beer - not too watery, not too spicy, but just right. The finish was slightly warming and quite dry as a result of the spices. I now really want one of Isaac's hot turkey sandwiches with gravy and cranberry sauce!

woodychandler, Nov 09, 2013

Rojada1988, Jun 10, 2014

Thads324, Dec 03, 2013
2.85/5  rDev -16.4%

Appearance is copper in color with a finger of head that dissipated down to a thin film in no time. The nose has spice, but no discernible pumpkin notes. The body is quite light and the flavor profile is dominated by something that is hard to place but tastes artificial. The artificial flavor lasts through the finish and makes for a decidedly unpleasant experience.

57md, Nov 09, 2013

kemkempalace, Sep 30, 2013

paulhargus, Sep 21, 2013

jagada, Dec 08, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -4.7%

Has a pretty orange amber color with a small head,
The aroma is a light spiced malt. Think pumpkin spice.
The taste is mostly lean malts and pumpkin spice. I didn't pick up any pumpkin notes.
Drinks medium feel, smooth and clean.
A pretty good beer but really isn't that good.

micromaniac129, Oct 20, 2013