Kirin Ichiban - Kirin Brewery Company, Limited

awful

Kirin Brewery Company, Limited visit their website
Japan

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Confirmed that this beer is "all malt" as of Oct. 2010.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-16-2001)
Reviews by BrandonCBeer:
3.25/5  rDev +23.1%

2.5/5  rDev -5.3%

Despite the claim of 100% malt this smells like an adjunct lager. Corny, with bubblegum sweetness there is some barley malt aroma.

The flavor tastes like an adjunct as well. Very corny, sweet and some grain it's easy to drink but I'd dispute the malt claim.

As far as Japanese beers go I find this to be less attractive than Sapparo but better than Asahi.

3.3/5  rDev +25%

Appearance – Light yellow in color and a bit of carbonation to the body. The head actually came up nicely, showed some good retention, and left a very pretty lacing on the inside of my glass.

Smell – Light grain in the nose with a touch of floral hopping and a bit of sweetness.

Taste – The sweets really come out at the taste. Thankfully, they aren’t the “gag sugars” that usually send me heaving towards the toilet. Mind you, this is not a “good” lager by any means, but there is a bit of hops to this one which is better than most examples of the style.

Mouthfeel – Not bad. It’s light-bodied, of course, but the carbonation plays well with the taste and this one is even a touch on the dry side.

Drinkability – I’ve found that I seem to appreciate Japanese beers a little better than most on the site. Again, I wouldn’t call this one a “winner”, but I think it’s much more drinkable than the 2.45 average that it has on the site.

2.4/5  rDev -9.1%

This crystal clear beer has a light yellow tint. There is a thin white layer with some mottling and the aroma is faint hops, rice, and mostly old penny smell. Tastes like rice, booze, and sugar, but you have to concentrate to really taste anything. Grippy mouthfeel, chalky aftertaste. Whatever.

2.25/5  rDev -14.8%

2.25/5  rDev -14.8%

As I type I am preparing to do battle with the brutal and mystical half deer, half dragon. What perils lie ahead of me on this heroic journey into battle....I know not. The beast is not very big, weighing in at only 21.4 ounces...however it has decimated and humiliated many good men before me and I fear for my life. As I approach the beast I pull out my blade and make the first move. Lunging with cat like stealth my blade rips through the abdomen of the creature, spilling its clear, piss yellow golden blood on the cold ground...the blood begins to froth until it's covered by a bubbly white substance an inch deep. I inhale deeply trying to catch my breath, noticing the sweet, grainy aroma of the creatures blood. The smell is all too familiar...with hints of grassy spiciness as well.

Oh shit...I'm hit...the creature has cut me with its powerful tail. Darting forward I slash the vile half deer, half dragon's throat, rendering it lifeless in a massive pool of blood. Intrigued by the scent of the blood and dehydrated from my journey I bend down and cup my hand taking a large sip. It's light and watery with very little flavor. Grainy, rice like sweetness with subtle hints of grass and herbal spice. I was expecting more from such a mythical creature. It flows into my stomach like water with tiny bubbling carbonation. I may have won the fight, but my reward is not very sweet. I fear it is time for me to move on, as there are many other creatures to do battle with. I am proud to have conquered the fabled half deer, half dragon...but I am left wondering if it was worth the fight and nearly losing my life.

1.25/5  rDev -52.7%

2.75/5  rDev +4.2%

2.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Served on draught into a mug.

I want to make clear that this was consumed in California and likely brewed in LA as opposed to Japan. I have had it in Japan before and it was better than this.

A - a decent yellow color with a white head with lots of lacing.

S - at first there was a strong yeasty, grainy smell.

T - not very strong with a bit of hops although not very pleasant.

M - medium carbonation, a bit thin.

D - i ordered this at a japanese restaurant as it was the only draught option. i've had it before and never quite enjoyed it, but often it is the only option. i think i've probably had it in america for the last time though.

2.53/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer used to be at a bar me and my friend go to. When they first had it, we had it off the tap. It really wasnt bad. It had a bit of a different taste, but wasnt bad. sort of smooth, nothing bad. However about a week later, we had another one, and yuck, it tasted foul, smelt off, just wasnt good. So i guess if your going to try this, try to amke sure it's fresh, otherwise dont expect much.

3.5/5  rDev +32.6%

1.73/5  rDev -34.5%

Presentation: 12 oz brown long neck bottle with an A&B “Bottled On” date on the back label. Brewed by Anheuser-Busch in the US.

Appearance: Very good lacing, stick white and foamy. The clarity is fine in a yellow coloured brew.

Smell: Smells of skunk and cooked cabbage … well perhaps the skunk and cabbage smell mixed together smells like rotten cabbage. Horrible aroma and I dread even drinking a sip.

Taste: Light body with a medium level of carbonation. Husk flavour upfront grows to overwhelming and needless to say becomes astringent with little flavour. Hops are all used up with a bitterness that is not natural. More and more astrignet grain flavours come and make it harder and harder to drink.

Notes: I had to pour this out after four sips, perhaps the worst beer this year. As the comic book guy on the Simpson’s would say “Worst Faux-Japanese beer ever.”. This is not the beer I remembered at the numerous Asia restaurants I frequented back in the day.

Here is my English-Haiku review:

It is hot outside
I tried this beer to quench thirst
Made me want to ralph

2.93/5  rDev +11%

330mL bottle with a label that's really hard to read in direct light.

Appearance: Pale, pale straw yellow, pours with a foamy head that dissipates way too fast. Not especially effervescent. Urine has more head retention than this.

Smell: I think the hops went hella skunky. Don't know much about Noble hops, the kind the label says they use.

Taste: Really belies the smell. Refreshing. Really unusual nice sweet, starchy aftertaste on the palate. Don't know if this is a quality of a 'rice lager', or, indeed, if this even is a rice lager. Only barley is mentioned on the label. I'm breaking with convention and giving this a pretty good taste score.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin. No acidity because there's a major lack of fizziness. Not so bad, at least it's not an offensive mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Better than most Asian macros. For the style, quite good and refreshing. I'd have another one, only I've got a Polish beer to review. Bye.

1.55/5  rDev -41.3%

Appearance: one inch frothy head, high carbonation, bright yellow color

Smell: grass and malt

Taste: grass and malt.not much going on here

Mouthfeel: very high carbonation, smooth, and semi-sweet

Drinkability: I am not against the style, but I could not finish this one. This was my first drain pour in a long time. The taste has some bitter that is very off putting. Two sips are sadly enough.

2.8/5  rDev +6.1%

The beer pours a straw yellow color with a white head. The aroma is rice, corn and some grassy hops. The flavor is very sweet. I get a lot of grass along with some corn and bready malts. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not as bad as expected but not something I care to try again.

3.45/5  rDev +30.7%

Serving glass: Poured from draft into pint glass.

Appearance: Light pale yellow with stark white head.

Smell: Very mild, with dry malts and very light spicy hops.

Taste: Dry grainy malts that are slightly Pilsner-like, some spicy hops.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, light body, nice crisp, dry finish.

Drinkability: Quite good for a Japanese Rice Lager. Easy to drink with a nice dry finish, leaving you begging for more.

2.1/5  rDev -20.5%

I guess this would be my frist Japanese Rice Lager. Pours clear yellow, white head, nothing unexpected. Aroma is ricey and sweet, nothing different froma a Bud Light. Very dry beer. Instead of being heavily sweet, it is more starchy-rice-dry. This is a decent Japanese lager, perfect to have with Asian food. Light but sharp flavor, dry aftertaste. Nothing exciting.

Kirin Ichiban from Kirin Brewery Company, Limited