Kirin Ichiban - Kirin Brewery Company, Limited

awful

Kirin Brewery Company, Limited visit their website
Japan

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Confirmed that this beer is "all malt" as of Oct. 2010.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-16-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kirin Ichiban Alström Bros

Skunky smells. Tasted like a macro with something amiss. Ended up pouring the beer down the drain after a quarter of a glass. The bottle very well may have gone bad. Will re-evaluate.

1.05/5  rDev -60.2%

Got a bottle from the local liqour store since I remember having a Kirin beer a few years ago and it being pretty good.

This was most certainly not the beer I remember.

This beer has the appearance of urine, and it goes downhill from there, when you smell and taste it. The mouthfeel was the best part, and that isn't say much.

Avoid this beer at all costs. They couldn't pay me to drink it again.

1.08/5  rDev -59.1%

Oh Good Lord this is bad. I can't even remember why I had it in my fridge. Someone must have left it there. So this might not be the freshest example, but I honestly can't believe that would make a differance. It doesn't look as bad is tastes. There's a positive. Smell is hard to explain. Like grainy vinegar, pickle brine soy sauce kind of thing. Soy sauce that expired in your fridge eighteen months ago. The taste is similar, dry, bitter in the worst way possible. Not a hop presance, just burning chemical bitter. Theres a very unpleasant metalic aftertaste. I get that soy sauce thing again. To quote Ralph Wiggum, "It tastes like...burning." I couldn't come close to putting all twelve ounces in me. There are no redeaming qualities to this beer.

1.08/5  rDev -59.1%

Pale yellow body, not much head, just a film of loose bubbles on the top. Not particularly inspiring.

Nose is a sickly sweet grainy smell, with a hint of something slightly rancid. It smells a bit like a rubbish bin that's been left in the sun. This is a really disgusting smelling beer.

The taste is again, very sweet and cloying. Leaves a rather unpleasant sugary taste in your mouth. There's no bitterness there to create some sharpness; it makes you feel sick in your stomach. Mouthfeel is watery. Truly awful.

This is an atrocious beer. I mean really, really awful. One of the worst beers I've ever tasted. Offensive and undrinkable. I cannot recommend enough that you stay away from this shit.

1.13/5  rDev -57.2%

BEWARE.

This is not a Japanese beer. I know, you're in the beer aisle and you want to try something new. You see Kirin Ichiban -- the foreign name, the dragon on the bottle, the medium price -- and wonder how you've not seen this "premium" beer before. And what's this? Something about "first cold press"? Could this be akin to Anchor Steam? Perhaps it's an ancient method of brewing brought back from the dead. So enticing . . .

Read the fine print: this stuff is bottled by Busch in L.A. I didn't see it until I got home. Even with true imports you have you be careful (e.g. Tusker, Taj Mahal), but when a beer pretends to be something it's not, throw it out.

It pours a straw haze with a thick head that calls on you to sniff. If you do, you'll notice intense aromas of rice, corn, rotten sprouts, rotten everything. This is Budwesier taken to a whole other level of skunk. As there is a Bud Light, Kirin Ichiban is a Bud Extreme that I doubt even the most loyal of Bud drinkers could tolerate.

Silly me. My girlfriend wanted to try 3Floyds Robert the Bruce Scottish, but I suggested this because I was drinking so much 3Floyds at the time and wanted something new. Listen to your women, they know what's good for you.

I actually finished one bottle. The finish is VERY long and miserable with this beer. That crap just sits on your tongue. I couldn't rinse it out with water and you will NEVER forget the smell. I couldn't drink for a week after this.

This beer is worse than Coors, worse than Natty, worse than Bud because at least those other wastes of time don't decieve you and do try their best to mellow the artificiality of their flavor. For some reason, Kirin Ichiban takes pride in producing faux-Japanese asparagus-urine beer.

This is the worst beer of all time.

Also try: car exhaust, used cigarette filter extract, castor oil

Relax, relax, enjoy.
ng

1.15/5  rDev -56.4%

Well I've reviewed this one quite unfavourably from a bottle, but the Dolphin Hotel has this baby on tap so I thought what the hell, let's give it the benefit of the doubt. (Long story short: DO NOT MAKE THIS SAME MISTAKE)

Pours quite well, has a dense fizz running up the inside that balloons out in a mushroom cloud kind of effect. The head is, though, kind of thin. Pale and lagery looking, but with an interesting-looking effect.

Smells like a sweaty armpit. Salty and horrible. What's more, it's simple. Bland, and whatever's there is horrible. Yeah, really bad smell.

Oh. My. God. I'm an Australian, and Carlton United are ubiquitous where I live, and so I'm used to yeast on the front of the palate. But I had NO IDEA it could LINGER. That's all there is to this drink. It's just cloying yeast that sticks to the roof of your mouth and just stays there - that's the only flavour to mention here. You seriously might as well just culture some yeast in some warm water and drink it. This is terrible, there's no more to say.

The mouthfeel is sticky and although there was a lot of head when I first looked at this it doesn't come through, it's frankly very very flat. But I'm grateful for this, actually, because considering the taste this could be a lot stickier in mouthfeel.

Drinkability? It ISN'T DRINKABLE. Enough said.

1.2/5  rDev -54.5%

This is my first Japanese beer and I honestly did not like it.

Kirin Ichiban poured with an almost straw color. The head was white, moderately low, foamy and presenting a poor retention. Very clear.
An unpleasant nose that had notes of artificial candy.
The taste was very adjuncty with strong rice notes, no hoops and only slightly bittering.
It was a quite gassy beer with low alcoholic strength and a light and watery body.
The finish is too short to be noticed.
Overall, it was characterless, bland and empty. Not a chance it will pass through my throat again.

1.25/5  rDev -52.7%