Kirin Ichiban - Kirin Brewery Company, Limited

awful

Kirin Brewery Company, Limited visit their website
Japan

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Confirmed that this beer is "all malt" as of Oct. 2010.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-16-2001)
View: Beers (33) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kirin Ichiban Alström Bros
Lare453

09-11-2012 18:54:36 | More by sanitarium16
tjd112

1.3/5  rDev -50.4%

Presentation - Poured into pint glass

Appearance - Yellow body, slightly less pee looking than your average adjunct lager, fizzy head that leaves some lacing

Smell - Almost nothing at all, faint riciness

Taste - Tinny with a hint of rice

Mouthfeel - Like water

Drinkability - Could barely get through one

Overall - Ick!!

05-05-2010 01:44:40 | More by tjd112
rye726

Colorado

1.3/5  rDev -50.4%

This brew reminds me more of Mexico than Japan. It is a clear yellow color with a middling white head. The taste and nose are light but skunky. I find old grassy hops and ricey malts. The body is light and overly carbonated. Not the most drinkable brew due to multiple factors.

05-28-2008 05:43:11 | More by rye726
avalon07

South Carolina

1.33/5  rDev -49.2%

This is a pretty rotten beer. Tastes just like any old American macrobrew, that is to say, it had no taste at all. It's very much like Budweiser in all respects: Light appearance, muted and unimpressive smell and no discernible taste. Should definitely be avoided.

12-23-2007 16:13:21 | More by avalon07
quikfish13

1.35/5  rDev -48.5%

My very first Japanese beer. So I shall so this entire review as if I was an anime character. OKAY!!

A: Oh no! The fizzy yellow is attacking! With no head and clear golden color we must use powers of great smell to counteract it!

S: OH NO!! We have failed again as bitter vegetable smell with no hops! AHH! Taste is to surely save us!

T: Drat! Foiled again by the inferior taste compared to beer that actually tastes like beer!. Still getting bitter vegetable tastes and no hops or malt flavor to speak of!

M: Watery to the extreme!! Feels like I drink water that get you drunk with no carbonation to speak of!

D: We are doomed!! American consumer should rather spend less money on Bud light rather than drink this! Ahhh!!!

07-27-2007 08:36:12 | More by quikfish13
rickyleepotts

Arizona

1.38/5  rDev -47.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.25

I am not too excited about this beer. I have had it several times before, but usually order it when we eat. Ra Sushi carries this. It's boring, but it was fun learning about the brewing process. It was also fun learning that this is the most expensive beer in the world. I mean… not literally. But in regards to the brewing process. I also didn't realize they had high taxes in Japan. The more you know!

I am not eating with this. I had a turkey wrap earlier today, but I felt bloated after I ate. Not sure I am going to have dinner. It's weird, because my last three meals I have felt horrible… bloated and really full regardless of what I eat. Maybe I need to stop eating. I did gain weight last week. I'm a mess. Let's drink!

In the Glass: It looks like any domestic beer you have ever had. The beer does have a nice white head that lingers, and then a decent lace as the head settles. I am seeing a ton of bubbles in this one, too. I would see more, but Sheryl turned the light out. She must hate lights!

When we review a beer, I put more focus on my experience with the beer. Speaking of beers, we have over 30 beers in the kitchen to review. I told Sheryl I am not buying any more beer until all of those have been reviewed and consumed! Here's to a few weeks of good craft beer.

Nose: They use maize in this, which makes me think of a rise IPA. With a rice IPA, you get more mellow flavors, and a polished almost fluffy mouthfeel. I hope that is what they mean by "chewiness". In regards to the aroma, not much going on. I love how the tasting notes will drop words like "citrus" and "green apple". I am not getting any of that. Grass before green apple. I doubt it, but I hope the flavor delivers.

Flavor: It didn't. This beer is pretty boring. There isn't much flavor at all. It is VERY drinkable; I will give it that. But this isn't a beer that I would order again. I take that back… if I am having sushi for lunch or dinner, I might order this. But even though this beer is made with 100% malt, I am not impressed with it at all.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel does remind me a of wild rice IPA. I wouldn't call it chewy, but it has a nice fluffy thing going for it. I tried to swish this around a little but, but got hit with a ton of bubbles. Doing that also made me taste the alcohol in it… which didn't help the overall experience. I am glad that beers like this are on our list, but the education is the only thing that I can appreciate. I don't care how they brew it, this beer just isn't very good.

Aftertaste: If there is anything to write home about here, it's the aftertaste. If I did write home, it wouldn't be a long letter. There is a subtle dryness in the finish, but it's a dryness that leaves me wanting to drink something else. I am not sure how big the craft beer industry is in Japan, but they are missing out if this is a beer they are known for. Like I said, this pairs well with food… but that's about it. Unless you are eating, skip it. You can thank me later!

07-08-2013 01:46:35 | More by rickyleepotts
Fatheranderson

1.4/5  rDev -46.6%

The pinnacle of what a "premium" beer should avoid being. It tastes kind of like that shredded wheat breakfast cereal in beer form... in fact, I use the term "beer" very lightly, and crave forgiveness for using it on such an inferior malt beverage.

Appearance: looks just like ever other generic lifeless brew on the market. Golden yellow with just a basic hint of carbonation. No life, no spark, no fizzle.

Smell: Shredded wheat. No seriously. It smells just like the breakfast cereal, but with soured milk. Maybe even a hint of rotting corn or rice or something unholy...

Taste: Cardboard, that shredded wheat again (actually, don't get me wrong, I love shredded wheat. It's a great cereal. Unfortunately, it's a terrible malt beverage). Also, it seems to taste vaguely like a penny I ate when I was 5... It's in a bottle, it's not supposed to taste like metal!!

Mouthfeel: Water. Water with some syrup in it...

Overall: Wouldn't buy it if it was the last beer on earth. At that point, I'd actually consider switching to wine (consider is the key word... I'd more than likely just figure out how to brew my own). This stuff is the Japanese equivalent of Budweiser or Coors... though somehow worse because I expected better out of Japan...

03-17-2011 05:28:50 | More by Fatheranderson
Noxious26

Saskatchewan (Canada)

1.4/5  rDev -46.6%

355ml bottle poured in a dimpled mug.

Clear, straw yellow in colour. Lots of carbonation streams. White head is 1/4 inch on the pour, but quickly disappears. Practically no head after one sip.

Aroma is like a macro lager: grainy and laden with adjuncts with a slightly sour background.

Bland and astringent with a caustic, bubbly mouthfeel. Dry grainy aftertaste.

As I'm wondering why the hell I'm drinking this, I read the label and find out that this is actually brewed in the USA by Anheuser-Busch. There is also a production date in very small print in the bottom left hand corner of the label (12May05) Yikes, 7 month old beer. Had this happen a couple times in the last batch of singles. Guess I better start looking more carefully. I don't think the age has hurt or helped it. There's no skunk at all, but I still can't drink this. Drain pour.

12-10-2005 01:48:06 | More by Noxious26
Utica_Brew_Review

1.4/5  rDev -46.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Light straw appearance. Not much aroma. Tastes like a fruity floral carbonated lager. Tastes almost like a light beer--tastes like beer. Remember college? No depth at all. Finishes as it starts. Moderately carbonated. Pretty much no real redeeming qualities that we can write of.

02-03-2013 09:44:40 | More by Utica_Brew_Review
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

1.43/5  rDev -45.4%

Weak yellow color, no head, but somehow there was lace left on the glass. Aroma was lacking, had some of the blandness of rice and crap vegetable beer, mixed with the efficiency of an industrial area and boiling water (metal, hydraulic fluid).

More of the same in the taste, cooked rice and frozen veggies, the shitty kind, that is like chock full of lima beans. Extremely thin body amounting to nothing in terms of taste from a positive standpoint.

I can't think of any scenario where I would recommend this. No wait, mortal enemies.

10-27-2011 00:57:55 | More by Beerandraiderfan
slitherySOB

Ontario (Canada)

1.48/5  rDev -43.5%

This is a very pale beer. The palest yellow I have ever seen! Reminds of water mixed with a very small amount of lemonade. Doesn't even have a bit of gold or urine colour, just a very pale yellow. And no head. Lots of lace, but no head. Bland smell. I cannot stress how bland this smells. Rice is the dominant scent, but it's still very faint. Some kind of grass smell as well. Could it be hops? Tastes like a low budget Budweiser when cold. Rice adjunct, white bread taste. Obvious thirst quencher, but only when cold. And I mean ice cold. Cuz as this liquid warms, it gets nasty. A horrible, cardboard taste that's surprisingly and terribly sour. And another flavour that is bad. Bitter? Yeah. But not the good bitter. This is a bad bitter. Don't know what makes it a bad bitter, but it is. No hops detected. Then again, my tongue has been bombarded with this awful taste that it can't even detect the spicyness of my meal after I drank this. But it is okay when cold, so I'll give it an extra half point for that. Mouthfeel is very flat. Very little carbonation. My toilet water has more carbonation after I fart taking a crap. Drinkable like water when cold. Undrinkable at any other temperature. This has to be near absolute zero before I could ever touch this again.

10-09-2004 01:24:09 | More by slitherySOB
hardy008

1.48/5  rDev -43.5%

Pale yellow with a large foamy white head with good retention and lacing. Has a skunk aroma, with cooked vegetables. Nasty.

The taste has cooked vegetables, some floral hops, and something is off. Reminds me a bit of skunk, but not as much as the aroma.

Light bodied, plenty of carbonation, putrid aftertaste which makes me wish I never tried this. Not sure if this is a bad bottle, or if it usually tastes like this. At any rate, not good.

03-31-2012 22:10:46 | More by hardy008