Kirin Ichiban - Kirin Brewery Company, Limited

Kirin Brewery Company, Limited visit their website
Japan

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-16-2001

Confirmed that this beer is "all malt" as of Oct. 2010.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kirin Ichiban Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,555 | Reviews: 583

This bottle was bottled on February 28th 2011 and drank on January 14th 2012. It says to drink within 180 days of bottling, so it's a bit past its prime, so that may need to be taken into account for this review.

Appearance - 3/5 - light, clear color

Smell - 3/5 - Very subtle skunky smell, probably from age. Not distracting, but there.

Taste - 3/5 - Nothing real special about the flavor. Just a crisp clean lager flavor. Very slight bread aftertaste that dissipates quickly and cleanly.

Mouthfeel - 3/5 - Crisp. Clears out quickly.

Overall - 3/5 - I would drink it at a Japanese restaurant if they had no nigori sake, but would never buy it as it just isn't very interesting.

1.26/5  rDev -52.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Sooo to date this is the worst beer I have ever drank. If it's your thing I say to each their own.

4.08/5  rDev +54%

Appearance: Poured a bright gold, slightly hazy color with lively carbonation, the head is about a centimeter.

Smell: Citrus hop aroma, pretty clean typical lager.

Taste: Dry, crisp with a nice hoppy bitterness that doesn't linger, there are some bready malt notes in the background.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, dry light bodied lager.

Drinkability: Easy drinkability, very good.

4.13/5  rDev +55.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Okay. This shits made in Los Angeles. It's all malt. Listen. All malt. Usually 8.99 a 12 pack 5% and all malt. It's delicious. I just drank an old chub Oskar Blues then cracked this one. It tastes silky smooth. No nasty aftertaste. It's pretty fucking premium tasting and it's a god damned macro. I keep a few cold. When you just don't want fuck my mouth flavor(hetero but not hateful) it's the perfect beer. I will drink this over any other macro. Period. Think again if you think this has rice round eye.

2.84/5  rDev +7.2%

Came from a 24 oz can that I poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours a moderate colored yellow. There is very little head retention. Nothing impressive.

Smell: Does not contain much of an aroma. Has a very slight grain smell, but it is hard to detect. What I did smell, however, did not smell bad.

Taste: Very light taste, with a slight aftertaste of hoppy bitterness that quickly dissipates. Typical rice beer flavor overall.

Mouthfeel: Not much weight to the beverage. Cleanly washes over the tongue.

Drinkability: This is good for a multi-session beer, and I could probably drink a bunch of these in succession. However, this is not something I would drink for flavor or enjoyment. Very average overall.

2.68/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours effervescent into the glass, with a burst of white head that readily dissappears. Carbonation starts and ends with a flash as well. Looks typically golden yellow and clear, clear, clear. Smells of adjunct-based alcohol and little else. Flavor agrees with the color and the smell. Thinking hard enough, there is some very light malt flavor in the aftertaste, covered up with some non-hop bitterness. This beer is rather drinkable however, with asian food (of course) or anything spicy.

2.3/5  rDev -13.2%

I had this at dinner last night, and I wrote the notes in my phone. I was served the drink in a Pilsner glass and I am pretty certain that is a bad choice.

A - It looks like any light beer, a very clear yellow with carbonation rising around the edges. No head when it arrived at my table. It was very inviting, but I had a long day and any beer would have been.

S - A faint sweet barley aroma. Nothing to write home about.

T - What did you expect? It tastes like any light beer. Weak on taste with a slight hop bite.

M - Very light body with a small bite. A bit dry.

D - I thought it went well with my meal at P.F. Chang's, but their meals are so salty that any beverage is refreshing. I had two, but again...long day.

2.17/5  rDev -18.1%

A: Light golden, international lager style. White foam, creamy, medium sized bubbles.

S: Malt and bread.

T: Malt and bread. Aftertaste is a bit bitter, but disappears quickly. Letting the beer be a little warmer a sour aftertaste appears, as if the beer would be old.

O: Would be decent if it was cheap. Now that it isn't I would choose something else since the taste is nothing speical.

3.85/5  rDev +45.3%

My fav japanese industrial beer, is a simple lager with a good taste slightly fruity, good with japanese food

1.93/5  rDev -27.2%

I bought this beer strickly to write a review. Almost immediately after tasting I didn't want to bother. But I was committed, so I now forge on. Dare i say.. the Budweiser of Japan?

Poured from a 24 oz. can, with a fair lace, for a few fleeting moments. The color is light amber. I say "light" because to me it comes off as a cheap immitation of an even cheaper lager beer. But then thats me.

Smell. Can't tell. Cabbage and rice maybe. Maybe.

Taste. Slight. Very. It is a liquid, I'll give it that.

And the feel is simply.. simple. Nothing going on. Perhaps if I played Death metal while I drank it, it might bring it up to an illusiion of some sort of goodness. No, not even then would that help...

Overall, it was worth a try, if only because now I know.. Never again to spend my hard-earned cash on this "water with slight amber food coloring added" beer.

3.39/5  rDev +27.9%

A: Pale gold color, very clear, decent sized head but dissipated quickly, almost no lacing.

S: A little hoppy, can't really pick out anything else but my nose isn't the best at this.

T: Has a little bit of a pale ale aftertaste (a little bitter), just a little sweetness not sure what is making it sweet though.

M: Feels smooth, refined, could use more carbonation.

D: Goes down smooth and isn't too heavy so you could have quite a few.

2.59/5  rDev -2.3%

From a 24 ounce can, which I then poured into a pilsner glass.

Very light straw color with tons of carbonation. Pouring gently into my pilsner glass gave an inch of head. It smells lightly of malt, and otherwise has little smell to speak of. Taste is like american light beer. Mouthful is thin and reminds me of rice. However, I imagine this would be a good chugger for a hot evening in the Pachinko parlor.

3.67/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Quick review - on tap, this was quite interesting. I could drink several of these. Definitely a niche beer. On tap, it was much better I remember in bottles. I had no idea that it was a rice lager, but I could taste the sake in it. It wasn't until I came here and saw the listing that I realized it was.

Color - golden yellow (not pale) honey brown. The pour had almost no head and left small traces of foam on the glass on the way down. The head it did make was very tight, almost like a Guiness head.

Smell - light malt and some fruitiness, also something rice or bread pudding; maybe sake.

Taste - same light malt again and frutiness, just how it smelled, but some bitterness at the end. No hop flavor I can recognize, but some bitter balance is there.

Mouthfeel - although the beer looked not far from flat, I can feel some bubbles as I drink it. Overall, the mouthfeel is medium-thin.

I could really knock back a few of these on a hot day (or any day). This is defitely a sessionable beer.

2.55/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Slightly hazy gold color with a very thin head. Subdued aroma of honey, herbs. Taste is bitter with a damp dishrag flavor. Slight sweetness.

According to the "bottled on" date, this one is a year and a half old; it has the sweet taste of stale beer. I'm going easy on it for that reason.

This is the only Japanese beer I've tried, unfortunately. I hear Japan has a burgeoning craft beer scene, so I look forward to trying more from there (and maybe trying Kirin again, fresh).

3.75/5  rDev +41.5%

Review: Can of Kirin Ichiban Pale Lager, 5%ABV

Kirin Ichiban, my first time having a Japanese beer, was impressive on its first showing. In general it was pretty nice and quite drinkable

On pouring, the appearance was of a pale yellow colour with a very big creamy head that lingers for some time, and leaves a bit of lacing on the glass. Had a nice look to it.

Aroma: A pleasant sweet smell of a light grain and malt aroma.

A nice light beer to drink and went down easy enough.

The taste had some initial sweetness followed by a very enjoyable bitter aftertaste of hops, kind of creamy. Tastes of hay, wheat, and light floral hops.

A good clean, crisp beer, smooth, I liked it. Recommended for someone who is looking for a nice light beer to relax with

3.26/5  rDev +23%

A: Florescent golden yellow with white head that quickly fades to a thin sheet. Very bubbly. Not impressive.

S: Grassy with hops making their case well. Noble hops maybe? The classic lager smell is a bit more subtle. The malt smells sweet. The smell reminds me of Stella Artois. Not bad.

T: Light. Crisp. Definitely very mellow. The malt makes its case more in the taste. In fact I would say it dominates. Something along the line of caramel malt. Sweet once again. The mellow borders very close to boring and watery. Easy to tell its a rice lager by the "snap" in it. Tastes between Stella and Budweiser. Hopefully it doesn't have the formaldehyde and other preservatives that give me a headache. I have to say I would take this over Bud ANY day. Good for the style.

M: Thin and consistent. The CO2 is slightly too high in my opinion. Acceptable.

D: A very drinkable beer which I think is it's main attraction. What else is there to attract in this beer?

Overall it's good for the style. Great to have with light meals such as sushi...hmmmm...it's a Japanese beer...probably not a coincidence. Also great for sake bombs. You have to rate this beer against other of it's styles.

2.48/5  rDev -6.4%

Pale pretty clear, lots of carbonation with bright head that fell immediately.

distinct hop smell

hoppy taste but not overpowering

crisp pop on tonge with carbonation, slightly more difficult to down that other lagers.

tried this for first time lat night, not something i would get again.

2.09/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

It's not a good beer

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle. Clear straw color with ample carbonation. Practically no head but lots of lacing. Says on the bottle it's brewed by AB in Los Angeles.

Some reviewers have commented on foul smell, but they must have had an old bottle. This sample smells like most macro lagers - nothing distinctively pleasant or foul - some grassy and pine aromas predominate.

Thin and watery mouthfeel with a bit too much carbonation. Probably would be quite refreshing on a hot sunny day, but we don't have those in San Francisco.

Taste is very light - fairly average macro lager - a bit of malt sweetness with some grassy tones. No real off-flavors, smooth dry finish with just a touch of citrus acidity.

Overall, another consistent but unchallenging macro lager. I see no real reason to order this over Bud or Bud Light at the local Sushi bar. Thankfully, I only paid a buck for a 22 oz bottle on sale.

3.03/5  rDev +14.3%

I have never really tried oriental or Japanese beers. The only other Japan beer is Sapporo. This was a dark beer that really wasn't all that fond of. It had a pretty good taste without a lot of bite or bitterness. It is average at best. As expected it was very dark but without the dark taste. I don't believe I will have this beer again unless I feeling frisky.

2.79/5  rDev +5.3%

Kirin Ichiban, even the Special Premium Reserve, is a very average, extremely nondescript lager. If you've had Sapporo, that's pretty much Kirin Ichiban. It pours gold with minimal white head and minimal lacing. It tastes the same as many macro lagers that use rice and has the same thin mouthfeel. It goes down easily, but it's completely forgettable.

2.53/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

Note: This is the Japanese version Brewed in Japan, and fairly fresh (Brewed in December drank in February). May vary if purchased outside of Japan.

A. Very clear, good initial head, which remains a little leaving a little lacing. Nothing interesting or exceptional.

S. Little smell, but slight lager note, not unpleasant. (Opposite to what I've heard of the US version)

T. Fine lager taste, nothing unpleasant, a bit of a dry bite to it. Some malty notes.

M. Not bad, but a tad sharp from over carbonation in my opinion.

O. Here is what I said about Asahi and the same goes for this; "Easy drinking beer that is quite refreshing. This is served all over Japan, and whilst being very dull isn't at all offensive. Can't really go wrong with it, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it if I wasn't living in Japan." I tried this alongside Asahi and there is a slight difference, very slight, a little more malt, but really not much difference.

I should also mention that whilst being a big lager drinker (due to that be the only thing on offer beer wise in most places here), I'm not a big lager fan, so the numbers may reflect this.

If your in Japan you'll struggle not to try Kirin and Asahi, if not, I wouldn't bother.

2.53/5  rDev -4.5%

On tap at a Chinese chain. Served in a iced pilsner glass. Even came with a small piece of icing floating. I let it warm up some to see if it any smell would come out. Appearance was pale yellow, but not as pale as some. Small bubbles, no head. Tiny bit of lacing.

Smell was almost all alcoholy when it was ice cold, as it warmed it expressed a very slight malt/grain smell. No real hop smell noticed.

It tasted... ok. Nothing of note. Maybe very slightly alcohol. Some malt with a hint of hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel was fine. It was thin, but not over carbonated.

I was able to drink it with no problems as I had my somewhat spicy Chinese food. Went fairly well with it. By no means a good beer, but it was, over all, ok. Probably won't have again.

1.9/5  rDev -28.3%

Pale color with a head that disappears immediately. Had a yeasty smell that made me think it would almost be "chewy" when I tasted it. However it turned out to be thin with a flat aftertaste. I'm not familair with oriental beer so maybe it is supposed to be this way. I was not impressed.

2.39/5  rDev -9.8%

Visual: Nice, fairly deep golden color, darker than I expected, given that it is an An. Busch product. Head diminished to a thin layer rather quickly.
Aroma: Pils/light-lager aroma at very first, but diminished in intensity quickly and some iron emerged in the aroma.
Flavor: Not seemingly bitter at first, but it builds in intensity with each successive sip – bitterness then lingers quite a long time. Definitely more bitter on back end than front. Not a lot of maltiness going on. A lot of "adjunctness" in the middle somewhere. Overall seems rather clean with emphasis on fairly smooth bitterness, if not the most smooth. Bitterness quality slightly reminiscent of Steinlager. After warming it goes downhill a bit, best at 40 F.
Mouthfeel: Decent body.
Overall: A strange brew overall: a kind of unbalanced combinaton that makes it rather unpleasant.

Kirin Ichiban from Kirin Brewery Company, Limited