Kirin Light Beer - Kirin Brewery Company, Limited

awful

Kirin Brewery Company, Limited visit their website
Japan

Light Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Jason on 08-05-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kirin Light Beer Alström Bros
2.9/5  rDev +30.6%

Pours a hazy tone on my glass, head minum retention, almost non existent. carbonation low. Taste is a little weak with notable touch of hops. barley not too present. A pleasant light beer. Would prefer this beer over other light beer as coors or miller.

I am not sure if I will try this once again. Too pricey here.

stan66, Apr 22, 2012

SocalKicks, Mar 16, 2012
2.15/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, a touch of corn. Taste is downright weak, maybe a hint of malt, very water like. Feels light in the mouth and overall was lacking in flavor, even for this style.

tone77, Mar 14, 2012

Zachtheporter, Mar 02, 2012

hockenbeer, Feb 29, 2012

tfsimpkins, Feb 10, 2012

LJWalker, Feb 06, 2012

bigwilliez13, Jan 22, 2012
2.13/5  rDev -4.1%

Had these at an overpriced dinner for the quality with a borderline crazy chick. They had a similarity of appearing light and ditzy. Aroma wasn't offensive, very mild and bland of medicinal corn notes.

Really wasn't much to speak of, lots of water, more bitterness than it should have given the lack of much substance to the beer. Prickly carbonation. Pretty clean overall except the bitterness, must be a decent use of rice to this beer.

Beerandraiderfan, Dec 27, 2011

kjkinsey, Dec 19, 2011
2.6/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I was down in Baltimore this past weekend, visiting a college chum and attending the annual Brewers' Art Mid-Atlantic Holiday Gathering. I took Amtrak to Penn Station and then began walking south to The Brewers Art when I passed Aloha Liquors, a little store that never fails to have something new and unusual available, prompting me to stop in. I scored a 22-ounce bomber of this, as well as some Korean gems that are sure to be just as good.

My initial pour netted me two-plus fingers of foamy, bone-white head with extremely limited retention. Hey, I realize that I am not the handsomest of guys, but do you have to take off so quickly? Color was a pale lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity. I have urinated darker water than this. Nose had a faint lager/corn adjunct sweetness, but it was all pretty mild. Mouthfeel was thin and watery with only the barest of taste in the mouth. I am glad it was nearing my bedtime as this was a major snooze-a-thon. Holy boring, Batman! Finish was equally band and ho-hum, making for a less-than-scintillating experience. That said, I do not feel that I should dun it too badly. I knew what I was buying, but I had never seen it before, either in CAN or bottle, and I have certainly had much worse, including from the style. Hey, it beats a cup of tea before retirement, I promise you. Don't avoid it if it is one of the few options open to you - it could be the lesser of several evils.

woodychandler, Dec 14, 2011

Rochefort10nh, Dec 06, 2011

ROGUE16, Dec 05, 2011

kfourte, Dec 04, 2011

codynevels, Nov 18, 2011

nickfl, Nov 16, 2011
1.08/5  rDev -51.4%

Look: Yellow and totally see through 1/4 inch white head and no retention

Smell: Um there isnt one

Taste: Hint of 6 row malt and that's it WOW

Mouthfeel: Thin with medium carbonation

Overall: Very drinkable beer but why would you pay money for a beer with no flavor. Only drank this one because I needed the cap for my bar top

DarthKostrizer, Oct 12, 2011
2.95/5  rDev +32.9%

The ABV on this is 3.31 (BA please note!)

The color is very pale yellow, the aroma bland , this reminds me of O'Douls near beer!

This was served at Hama Sushi, when I asked, I found out it's not from Japan anymore but brewed by the same makers of Bud Light!

She suggested Asahi, which will be in another review!

CaptJackHarkness, Aug 25, 2011

Pours a pale yellow color, some carbonation, little foamy white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is sweet, grainy, with some rice notes. The taste is sweet, kinda malty, grainy/ricy/skunky. Light Body. Would not drink this one again.

Wasatch, Aug 14, 2011
3.03/5  rDev +36.5%

A: The beer pours a clear golden straw with a fluffy white head, with surprisingly good retention.

S: Halfway decent nose. Not shockingly, it still pretty much just smells like rice. But, there is a bit of yeast and some light hop notes (mostly grass). Some light fruity esters of sweet apple.

T: Flavor is not too bad either. Lots of rice with a light malt note. Grassy hops with minimal bitterness and some more green apple esters and yeast.

M: The body is very light with a medium to high level of carbonation.

O: I liked this one better than Sapporo light. Nicer flavor with a bit less reliance on the pure rice flavor.

womencantsail, Aug 06, 2011
2.5/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Had at the Japanese attraction at World Showcase in EPCOT.

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear yellow. Crystal clear. Short and thin head that fades extremely quickly and leaves no lacing.

S: Slight scent of rice and grains.

T: Same as the scent, along with a slight sweetness.

M: Very light. Moderate carbonation.

D: Very good.

HockeytownBrew, Jul 20, 2011
2.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Straight from the bottle

A: Pale in color, almost clear in the stream coming from the bottle. The head is fizzy and dissipates almost instantly. Pretty standard so far.

S: Very slight aroma of something almost Belgian which is interesting but it’s difficult to discern.

T/M: Tastes bubbley and a bit malty with some bitterness near the end. It’s pretty bland overall, like seltzer or diet Gatorade.

Yet another contender in the made-with-the-purpose-of-getting-you-drunk category. Because we need more of those…

TheBeerAlmanac, Jun 16, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Bottled 18Jan11. 12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - No head. Small white lace. Clear pale gold body.

Smell - Slight, hidden banana. Not much else.

Taste - Mostly flavorless except for some sligh corn and stale metallic off flavors.

Mouthfeel - Boring. No effervescence. Sickly acidic.

Overall Drinkability - Disappointing. Will try re-rating with a fresher bottle, but not sure it will help.

ZenAgnostic, May 23, 2011
1.2/5  rDev -45.9%

Had a 22oz bottle of Kirin Light at happy hour at a local sushi spot. By far the worst beer I've ever had. It tasted like watered down urine. I actually don't mind light beers in most cases. I wasn't expecting much, but the taste, or lack of taste, was offensive. I'd rather drink the world's cheapest Malt Liquor than this swill.

I'm not going to give this "beer" a proper review because it doesn't deserve it.

I'd stay away