Sweet Yamma Jamma - Indeed Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 161 | Reviews: 27
2.71/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Too many spices for me. Not my style of brew even though it's seems to be a decent quality.

3.57/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Local made Minnesota, "brewed with sweet potatoes" on front of can, pumpkin sure but sweet potatoes was a first for me. Seasonal Fall beer different and drinkable.

3.97/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very unique flavor, definite sweet potato taste, easy drinking. Has a spice flavoring that could get old. good in moderation though

3.49/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sweet Yamma Jamma pours a darker bronze color with a very small lacing head. There is a sweet spicy aroma. The taste is also sweet and very spicy, mellow hints of the yams. Rather fizzy, some nice flavors. Overall its very mellow, but still enjoyable.

3.58/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A quick bubble show produces a clear copper-colored liquid; the head is decent enough and leaves a strand or two

Smell: Sweet potatoes topped by marshmallows and a hint of pie spice

Taste: Indefinite vegetal flavors up front with a bit of spicing in the rear; not much to say here

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: I was expecting a bit more from Indeed but this fell short; the aroma was decent but the flavor lacked definition

Thanks, DaftPatrick, for the opportunity

3.31/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

? not sure what this tastes like. Kinda like sweetened slightly old canned yams.

3.29/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a chestnut-tinged amber in color, with excellent clarity. Topped with a medium tap cap of foam, just a touch of lace is left behind as the head falls.

Right away I get a sweet/sour vegetal gourd character on the nose, and it's not exactly what I expected. Some roasted / dark malt character which I can appreciate, some darker (berry) fruit and some spicy phenolic character, too. Without having had the first sip I'd say that the "spice" will add more of the usual "spiced Beer connotations (for the wrong reason) than I want them to, so i won't focus on that as I dive right in...

On the first sip it's light and brisk across the tongue and palate -- "scrubbing" carbonation. Finish leans toward dry... Spice character is light (and I appreciate that) and 'cola-like.' It's also more a component of the aromatic aspect of this one.

Sweet/sour and tangy on the second sip, with a light-to-medium mouthfeel, leaning toward an excellent drinkability for the style. I was expecting -worst case- a cloyingly-sweet, spicy mess, and this is nothing like that, thankfully.

Instead this is a well-balanced fruit/vegetable beer and indeed has very good drinkability, enough to have to in a row without growing tired of it. Not bad at all.

3.4/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Can pouted into pint glass

A- pours a clear copper color with a small creamy off-white colored head that reduces to a small film on top, no lace left behind

S- lots of vegetal aromas up front, quickly followed by all of the classic aromas of sweet potato casarole: sweet potatoes, cinnamon, brown sugar, even some oats and nutty notes.

T- vegetal flavors follow the aroma up front, caramel malt mixes with some earthy notes, picking up some cinnamon and slightly tart notes, the flavor diminishes quickly on the finish, leaving nearly no linger of anything behind

M- medium-light body with moderate carbonation leads to a slightly foamy mouthfeel and a slick and crisp finish, finishes a little flat

O- if the taste matched the aroma, this one would have potential. Unfortunately it doesn't, but still and easy drinking ale, could have used some more spice presence

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from tap into a clear pint glass at the Indeed tap room.

Appearance: Pours a nice clear amber color with a nice one finger white foamy head. Foam fades quick but leaves some nice sticky lacing.

Smell: Sweet and malty with a little spice. A little hops underneath. A very welcoming seasonal fall-winter aroma.

Taste: A fantastic smooth and sweet flavor with a nice earthy sweet potato presence. A little hops up front that gives way to the malty and candied sweetness. Yummy!

Mouth feel: Clean and crisp with a nice smooth finish on the tongue.

Overall: I love this seasonal on tap at the Indeed tap room when they have it. I have had several glasses of this during sessions in the tap room, and will look for it again this fall/winter. One of my favorites from Indeed.

2.45/5  rDev -33.6%

12oz can from Powderhornphil (thanks man!). Canned 9/3/13. Served in my Phish snifter.

Pours opaqe orangey russet with a half finger of near white head. Wispy retention. Very little lace.

Smells basically like sweet potato pie. Baked yams and autumn pie spices. Meh.

I rather with the taste followed the nose. Instead I'm getting a blandish yam soda. Yam, caramel, vague spice character and artificial sweetner. Yuck.

Thin body with excessive carbonation that further lends to the impression that this is soda instead of beer.

I rather enjoy the occasional pumpkin/yam beer but this is far from my preferences. I poured half of the can and will decline any future offers.

3.43/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had a pint at 3 Squares in Maple Grove. I think this is going to be a once-yearly beer for me. I always enjoy it, but one's enough. It's easiest described as a alcoholic yam soda. It resembles beer, but it's also sort of fizzy yam juice. It's a mild, sweet starchy flavor and I'm impressed Indeed let's the yam speak for itself. But it's a bit odd, with only subtle barley behind the tuber. Give it a shot with an open mind. It's good, but a yam can only offer so much for a beer.

4.39/5  rDev +19%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is the second year of this unusual yam beer from Indeed. I really wanted to try it last year, but missed it before it was gone. I was happy to find a can at The Four Firkins this year, and might have to try to find more! Made with pulverized sweet potato and candied yams, as well as a mysterious spice mixture (per the website.)

Aroma: Sweet malt dominant, but has some earthy/musty notes. Cinnamon and ginger, but subtle.

Appearance: Deep copper color. Large off-white head that is very persistent. Small bubbles. Very clear beer.

Flavor: Very sweet initially with strong vanilla notes. I get some cinnamon at the tail end. I can actually taste the sweet potato or yams! Ends off-dry but no astringency. I get some caramelized melanoidin flavors. Body is medium, with a pleasant creamy mouthfeel.

Overall: Very well balanced. This beer reminds me of the marshmallow topped candied sweet potato casserole of my youth--in a glass! I think this is one of the more characterful beers I've tried in the quest to drink all these pumpkin/yam beers.

3.94/5  rDev +6.8%

A nice fall seasonal...great aroma of your classic punpkin, yam, spices, etc...smells the part for sure...the taste is a little less intense and the body overall is thin and watery which takes away slightly from the experience...

This is a good beer but falls short of greatness....glad I got a sixer but that is good for this year...I'll revisit next year for sure..

3.47/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Tasted 25 September 2013. From the can to my tulip.

Pours 95% clear, an enigmatic color, chestnut brown from some angles, a little reddish with light behind it, but different every way I look at it. Two fingers of off-white head. Good retention and excellent lacing.

Smell is full of yams and spices. Never had sweet potato pie, but this is what I imagine it would smell like. The sweetness is subdued, which is good, as yams could be sweet enough to overpower. The yams are clean, rich, and orange - nice. Spice-wise, I get a whole lot of nutmeg, with little complements around the edges that remind me of cloves and allspice.

Taste kinda falls flat. Not terrible, but just bland and mildly bitter. From just the taste, I don't know if I'd even guess this had yams in it. And the spices just barely poke their heads up when the taste is almost faded out. Not much here.

Feel is watery and dull, reminiscent of the taste. Medium-low carbonation (not enough), what's there is sorta fuzzy. Fades out rather quickly.

I wish I'd stopped at the smell. Nothing bad about it, and parts of it are quite good. But mostly, it's a pass.

3.21/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Sweet Yamma Jamma Indeed Brewing Co

Poured from a 12 oz can into a Cigar City snifter. Served chilled... Thanks for the can Kim.

A) Deep orange color. Not much head at all, and what was there quickly settled to a thin collar. No lacing.

S) The sweet potato on the nose is rather faint when chilled, so enjoy the nose on this after it warms a bit. A fair amount of one of my favorite Thanksgiving sides is detected, with light spice. A crumbling of brown sugar for sure.

T) The sweet potato is not as prevalent in the flavor, but still noted. A bit of brown bread. A little grass/vegetable. The spices come into play on the backend. Decent, but a little bland.

M) A bit on the thin side, as well as a little flat. A semi-dry finish, which was slightly hard cider-esque.

O) Having never drank a sweet potato ale, I'm not sure if this just set the bar high or low. I think there is room for improvement. I guess in the end the bar has been just kind of set at okay... It was worth a try...

3.42/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Brown-amber, small head.

Smell: Vegetal, spice, earthy.

Taste: Starts like a malty brown ale, then the cinnamon spice shows up. The sweet potatoes do show up, but more like a complementary flavor than the leading flavor.

Overall: Tried a can to support this local brewery even though I'm not a pumpkin/fall spice/yam beer guy. It's all right, neither the spices or the sweet potatoes hit too hard. I expected a little more sweet potato flavor since it's in the name of the beer.

3.74/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

A: Hazy copper brown with a huge white head. Good retention.
S: Initially weak aroma picks up as the beer warms. Nutmeg and nutty/caramel malts, maybe faint hops. Somewhat herbal – something here reminds me of some of the small batch root beers I’ve had in the past.
T: Flavor matches the aroma. Soft maltiness, spices – nutmeg and?? As it warms, some brown sugar and nice nutty malt show. Light earthy bitterness on the finish. Very mild and restrained, overall.
M: Light bodied with soft, fine carbonation. Slightly dry finish.

Had this on tap and from bottle last year and was enthused to hear about the 6 packs this year. However this batch seems to have less intensity of flavor (though it did improve quite a bit near room temp). Not sure if adding more malt would obscure the intended sweet potato/yam flavors, but would like to see a bit more body in this one. Still, it's a something I'll grab in the future when I'm in the mood for a light and fairly unique fall seasonal.

3.53/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Canned on 9/11/13.

Appearance: Hazy dark caramel color with a thin frothy head.

Aroma: Definitely sweet potato in there. Not getting much for spices. Very similar to an amber ale.

Taste: Sweet Yamma Jamma starts with a very light caramel malt flavor which allows those 10 IBUs to make the fullest impact possible. About halfway through a great candied yam flavor comes through accompanied by spices reminiscent of Dr. Pepper. It all sounds like an odd mix but works out quite nicely. The finish is nonchalant and the aftertaste is light hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Between thin and medium in body with average carbonation and drinkability.

Final Thoughts: Good use of an unusual ingredient by Indeed. I will continue to try new releases of theirs since none have disappointed me yet. Would I drink it again? Sure.

4.09/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz can, canned 20 days prior

look is a dark copper/ruby with a small ring of lace, great unfiltered look. no big chunks, just a fine dusting throughout. the aroma is delicious sweet potato at first (and im not even a fan of them), but fades into heavy spice and not much else. taste is crisp and bready at first, a yammy middle, with a thick pumpkin-pie-spice finish... a chalkiness seems to linger on the tongue.

spicy

3.91/5  rDev +6%

Pouring from a can kicks up a finger of khaki foam that recedes to a thin skein over a deep orange amber beer. Good clarity. No lace.

Aroma is so loaded with spices I actually get a first impression of ginger-soy sauce. Once that fades there seems to be allspice and nutmeg, and more ginger. I'm not getting any yams, well probably not. The aroma is something powerful, good, and I'm sure I'm missing a few elements.

Tastes brings on the yams, aka sweet potatoes. Nice blend of spices here, allspice, nutmeg, perhaps faint cinnamon, definitely seems to be a little spicy bite of ginger. Nice buttery cracker crust malt ties it together. Lightly sweet. Mouthfeel is a tad too light and I'd like it a little creamier. Finish is fairly clean with some faint lingering buttery pie crust flavor.

Yams, sweet potatoes, whatever. Its got a pumpkin pie profile and they've mixed up a nice little treat here.

4.26/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a tall Summit pint glass. Canned on 09/03/13.

Appearance: Pours a deep caramel amber orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. Solid two fingers of off white head that recede into a thin creamy layer. Leaves a good amount of lacing on the glass.

Smell: A fairly sweet, earthy, and spicy aroma with lots of sweet potato and yam hints along with some fall spices. Upfront presence of the sweet potato and candied yams. Big hints of fall spices including cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, pepper, ginger, and slight clove. Sweet malt presence with hints of caramel, biscuit, and yeast. Also some sweet hints of brown sugar and vanilla. Subtle hint of earthy hops. A pretty interesting and nice aroma.

Taste: Follows the nose, an earthy, sweet, and spicy fall taste with lots of sweet potato, yam, and a mix of fall spices. Big notes of the sweet potato and candied yams upfront. Solid mixture of fall spices with notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, pepper, and some clove. Some notes of creamy vanilla and brown sugar. Sweet malt presence with notes of caramel, yeast, and biscuit. Slight undertone of earthy hops. Sweet and spicy but very well balanced. Pretty good taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Creamy, crisp, and pretty smooth. Finishes somewhat dry.

Overall: A pretty interesting and solid tasting brew. Good earthy taste of the sweet potato and yams with a good spice mix. Well balanced and smooth.

3.73/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Deep copper orange with a small of white head. Hardly any lacing.

S: Tons of spice: nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, allspice. Maybe some sweet potato and candied yams in the background, but I might just be imaging that. Smells really good.

T: Not nearly as much spice as in the aroma, but there is a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg. You can really pick up the sweetness from the sweet potatoes and candied yams, though it is not overly sweet and there is actually some beer flavor. It is fairly bland though compared to the nose.

M: Medium body, softer carbonation. Smooth.

O: An interesting beer to say the least. I'm not really a fan of pumpkin beers, but I do like this better. Drinkability isn't the greatest to me since it is close to a pumpkin beer, but defiantly worth the try.

3.81/5  rDev +3.3%

Full disclosure. I hate pumpkin beers. This is not a pumpkin beer since this contains sweet potatoes and candied yams. The spices remain the same. Since this is from an impressive local brewery, I had to try it. And I am happy to report, it is not disgusting.

Pours a brilliant copper color with one finger of head that quickly settles to a thin cap. A little lacing is left down the glass.

Aroma is full of spice, nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon. I think I perceive some sweet potato as well.

Actually has some beer qualities in the flavor. Not as sweet as pumpkin and the spice is not too much. A delicate balance the brewer played here with giving a good wallop of spices, without going too far.

Mouthfeel is where I think this beer really separate itself from pumpkin beers. It does not have that disgusting chalky, mealy texture those exhibit. This actually feels like a beer I want to drink. Carbonation is a little on the low side but I do not mind.

Glad I gave this beer a shot. I won't be buying another six pack this year, but I will next year when it makes its return.

4.42/5  rDev +19.8%

Canned 08/03/13
Yams>Pumpkins

A-Pours a deep rich amber color with a thin layer of head on top of the beer with some decent retention and average lacing on the side of the glass.

S= The aroma is big on cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice. Classic fall flavors. I suppose yams are in the nose as well. Smells fabulous.

T= The taste is amazing. The cinnamon, nutmeg, and all spice come through complementing perfectly the yams. Yams come through as a pumpkin would but it's less sweet. I think it's more of a beer type flavor. This beer is fall in a can.

M= Nicely carbonated with a nice lingering flavor.

O= This is the best fall pumpkin/yam beer I've ever had. I would say I'm a bit of an expert on pumpkin beer and this baby blows most of them out of the water. It's sweet without being too sweet and there's a nice roasty malt character that comes in a little to back up the sweetness of the yams.

3.92/5  rDev +6.2%

On tap at Town Hall Brewery.

A -Poured a clear, copper color with a one-finger, off white head of foam. It left thin rings of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of Thanksgiving spices - nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon. It had a sweetness that resembled pumpkin.

T - Good blend of spices and pumpkin like flavors. Light caramel taste.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a dry finish.

O - This is a tasty brew. My first Indeed brew. Very good!

to view more.