Sweet Yamma Jamma - Indeed Brewing Company

Indeed Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 11-16-2012)

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

2.41/5  rDev -34.7%

12oz can from Powderhornphil (thanks man!). Canned 9/3/13. Served in my Phish snifter.

Pours opaqe orangey russet with a half finger of near white head. Wispy retention. Very little lace.

Smells basically like sweet potato pie. Baked yams and autumn pie spices. Meh.

I rather with the taste followed the nose. Instead I'm getting a blandish yam soda. Yam, caramel, vague spice character and artificial sweetner. Yuck.

Thin body with excessive carbonation that further lends to the impression that this is soda instead of beer.

I rather enjoy the occasional pumpkin/yam beer but this is far from my preferences. I poured half of the can and will decline any future offers.

2.25/5  rDev -39%

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

3.41/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had a pint at 3 Squares in Maple Grove. I think this is going to be a once-yearly beer for me. I always enjoy it, but one's enough. It's easiest described as a alcoholic yam soda. It resembles beer, but it's also sort of fizzy yam juice. It's a mild, sweet starchy flavor and I'm impressed Indeed let's the yam speak for itself. But it's a bit odd, with only subtle barley behind the tuber. Give it a shot with an open mind. It's good, but a yam can only offer so much for a beer.

4.4/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is the second year of this unusual yam beer from Indeed. I really wanted to try it last year, but missed it before it was gone. I was happy to find a can at The Four Firkins this year, and might have to try to find more! Made with pulverized sweet potato and candied yams, as well as a mysterious spice mixture (per the website.)

Aroma: Sweet malt dominant, but has some earthy/musty notes. Cinnamon and ginger, but subtle.

Appearance: Deep copper color. Large off-white head that is very persistent. Small bubbles. Very clear beer.

Flavor: Very sweet initially with strong vanilla notes. I get some cinnamon at the tail end. I can actually taste the sweet potato or yams! Ends off-dry but no astringency. I get some caramelized melanoidin flavors. Body is medium, with a pleasant creamy mouthfeel.

Overall: Very well balanced. This beer reminds me of the marshmallow topped candied sweet potato casserole of my youth--in a glass! I think this is one of the more characterful beers I've tried in the quest to drink all these pumpkin/yam beers.

Sweet Yamma Jamma from Indeed Brewing Company