Stir Crazy - Indeed Brewing Company

Beer added by: bsp77 on 11-17-2012

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.18/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Indeed Stir Crazy Winter Ale, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

This is a pint from the second keg I've had on tap. Haven't had a chance to sit down and think about one during the span of the first keg. So, here we go…

Dark brown body, small reddish highlights at bottom and sides, small off-white, turning tan.

Aroma: earth and malt, hints of ginger, juniper and other spices, but they are only hints. Some roast in this, but not much, plenty of deep, dark malt. I like it.

Taste: Mmm. Floods the mouth with warm, happy maltiness. Not in anyway overboard in the alcohol department (6.5% ABV). Richness, but not sweetness, A little spice from the malt, and just enough hops to keep the tongue tingled. Hearty stuff. Tasty, toast, and just a little roasty. I can sit with this one, one after another. Good, good, good stuff, Indeed. I'll keep this going as long as I can!

Here's the official word on it:
Stir Crazy Winter Ale, a 6.5% abv winter warmer clocking in at 22 IBUs. Layers of malty goodness, a dark ruby colored winter warmer ale deliver satisfying notes of chocolate and rich caramel; while pulverized rasins and brown sugar provide a fruity complexity that warms you from within.

Raisins? Brown sugar? I forgot about that! Well, it didn't stick out, it just added to the wonderful stew of this complex wintry brew.

I'll say it again: Nice work! Love to see it canned, though. Maybe next year? (1,402 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +3.6%

On tap at The Happy Gnome in St. Paul, MN.

A - A dark burgundy color with a one-finger tan head of bubbly foam. It left sudsy trails of lace.

S - Smelled malty and had a nice Christmas spice smell.

T - Tasted of rich roasted malt with some spices and piney flavors.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. Medium bodied.

O - Good winter seasonal. Really impressed with the Indeed beers that I found in MN. (406 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%

On-tap at the Indeed taproom. Tasted 15 November 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours deep reddish brown. Plenty of yellowish tan head, but poured nearly to the brim. An archipelago of lacing ringing the glass.

Smell is malty and lightly spiced. Smells a lot like a spiced dubbel. Mildly sweet. Nice.

More spice in the taste, and less sweet. Great depth and variety of flavors. Lightly roast, a touch of bitterness that provides really nice balance. Nutmeg is the most prominent spice flavor.

Mouthfeel if medium-bodied, with fuzzy carbonation. Lasting. I dig it.

Heck of a beer. Just really balanced, with lots going on in a compact package. Roasty, spiced, smooth, and delicious. (682 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Original review from 2012 750ml bottling. Edits for 2013 canning at the bottom.

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Very dark ruby with nice tan head and respectable lacing.

Smell: Sweet and fruity, with plum, figs, cherry and raisins. Caramel and spicy, floral notes as well.

Taste: Sweet core of caramel and dark fruits. Hard to identify everything going on here. While raisins may be present, I am getting more plums and cherry. Despite the low IBUs, I am getting some definite floral and spicy notes on the finish from the hops. Definitely not bitter though.

Feel: Medium to full body with light but lively carbonation. Fairly smooth overall, and the finish has a surprising amount of dryness.

Overall: I was a little scared of this beer, as with the low IBUs and the addition of raisins and brown sugar, I was expecting a really cloying beer. This is not cloying at all. While it is fairly sweet, it has a nice balance and strong drinkability. Impressive.

Edit for 2013 canning: Much more chocolate in the aroma and taste, maybe a little more chocolate than I would prefer, which begins to bother me about halfway through the can. The addition of vanilla is more subtle in the aroma, but provides a nice extra finish to the beer that I like. I liked it better before, and my average dropped from a 4.3 to a 3.6. I am sure the chocolate will garner the beer more attention, but not what I wanted. (1,437 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last