Paceña - Cerveceria Boliviana Nacional S.A.

PaceñaPaceña

Cerveceria Boliviana Nacional S.A. visit their website
Bolivia

American Adjunct Lager |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 11-04-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Paceña Alström Bros
3.61/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Serving: Bottle into pint
Served: 12 Jan 2015

Brought direct from Bolivia.

Appearance: Pours a pale yellow with a weird, almost greenish tint. The beer pours with a foamy white head that quickly collapses into nothing. Little to no lacing.

Smell: Smells skunky and sweet; your average AAL.

Taste: A bit of a surprise considering where the rest of this beer was going. The taste is really incredibly smooth- it's sweet and 'beery' and paired excellent with my spicy dinner.

Mouthfeel: Watery with medium carbonation.

Overall: A decent AAL and one that drinks way easier than the overcarbonated US versions. I loved the toned-back carbonation that really allowed the sweet corniness to come through. Refreshing, but nothing special.

3.17/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.6/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.75/5  rDev +21%

I have to say that I love beer, and that I had all types of beers from different parts of the world and I truly love this Bolivian beer Pacena.

Wow it sums it up!!!!

Best beer ever. I wish I could find it here in California. They have it in Europe and it parts of the east coast. hard to find it here.

Love Pacena. One day I would like to visit Bolivia and get me some beer there.

1.06/5  rDev -65.8%

Elegant bottle, let's see its interior beauty. Yellow golden color with a thin head with low retention.
It has a bad Adjunct Lager aroma even at cold temperature, notes of corn, booze and sweet bread.
Refreshing flavor of sweet corn and malt, a bit of spices, oxidized apple, diacetyl and light herbal hops.
Light body with good carbonation.
A mass adjunct lager below average given more noticeable defects. Not awful while near freezing temperatures and if you like the style.

2.15/5  rDev -30.6%

Pours a glass full of gold content with a small (just about a finger) white head that quickly settles to only a small lacing.
The aroma is gentle. There is some malt and also some grains. Also some sour aroma is noticeable.
The taste is slightly sweet at first but the body is completely bland with no real finish. Lacks some bitterness and is slightly watery.
Drinkable, but not much to the taste.

2.75/5  rDev -11.3%

2.75/5  rDev -11.3%

2.93/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

A: Straw-colored and loaded with small bubbles. The tall white head is very soapy and light. Almost no lacings.

S: Adjunct corny smell with vanilla and marzipan. Butter and some citric notes.

T: Rather fruity, actually - both citric fruits as well as apples. But there is also corn in the bready malt. Some faint bitter hops.

M: Light body, rich carbonation and no aftertaste.

O: Rather refreshing and summery.

3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

3.25/5  rDev +4.8%

Paceña, what can I say. Well, after living in Bolivia for only two and a half months it was pretty good. So far, from all the beers actually made here, Paceña is one of the few that is actually drinkable.

That being said, it is an adjunct lager. The label indicates that it is a Pilsner, however I detect none of that outside of it's color/appearance. For me, a big part of the Pilsner would be the taste, and this falls flat in that category. It does however give a slight bit more satisfaction than the typical mass-produced American adjunct lagers. Or that could be my memory failing me, as I have been away from good craft beer for 2.5 months now. One thing is for sure, this beer is made in the same way as those "mass-produced American adjunct lagers."

Now, on to the real review. Yes, it is golden straw in color. The foamy head is half an inch in thickness, falling to a creamy coating that remains throughout the drinking experience.

Smell is vibrant, even youthful, suggesting fresh ingredients, and a fresh bottle.

Taste follows quite well with smell, delivering popping sensations across the tongue. All that being said, though, we're lacking some real depth during the tasting sensations. There are definite suggestions of corn additives. That makes me conjure up mental images of giant industry, churning out a drink that slightly resembles what beer should be.

Mouthfeel is light and refreshing. No more to be said.

Overall, this beer ranks above others I have tried here. Ahh yes, I remember my former life of having access to craft beer in all it's glory. It's a good thing I brought a little with me for those long, dark, depressing days inbeween....when I am forced to drink Paceña. Why? Because the 5 beers I brought from the States won't last the whole year before I return, and like a good beer advocate, I MUST DRINK BEER!!

Side note, Paceña recently won a gold medal at the World Beer Cup 2012 for their Pico de Oro in the International Style Lager. You can bet I'll be trying/reviewing that as soon as I can pick one up.

3.58/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours nicely into any serving glass anywhere in Bolivia. Ubiquitous on the sidewalk cafes and pensions among men and women just hanging out. Maintains a half-finger head, golden and clear.

Aroma is malty, not terribly remarkable with just the slightest hint of hops.

Taste is dry, malt-dominated at first, but lacks a distinct hop flavor--but that's just my taste preferences.

Mouthfeel is well-carbonated, light, and goes down easily and in quantity, as intended.

I'm not a huge lager fan, so this isn't my favorite drink, but it's respectable and well-executed.

3.08/5  rDev -0.6%

Dated 6/2012.

Pours a light yellow with a foamy white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy patches of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt and grain aromas. Taste is much the same with a mild grassy flavor on the finish. There is a very mild amount of bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty average beer but it's drinkable and not that bad compared to other beers of the same style.

2.5/5  rDev -19.4%

4.2/5  rDev +35.5%

Pours a pale yellow with a half inch head into a large mug. Nice Laceing all down the glass.
Smells of Alcohol and malts with a nice smooth hop bitternes.
Taste is of Alcohol and fermented grains with a nice light bitter hit of hops. This beer was given me by a friend and I find it to be amazing in flavor and smooth balence.

This beer has really surprised me in its flavor and clean mouth feel it is very refreshing.

Overall I give it 4.0 and I think t is an exceptinal Beer.

Paceña from Cerveceria Boliviana Nacional S.A.