Cerveza Aguila - Cervecería De Barranquilla

Cervecería De Barranquilla visit their website
Colombia

American Adjunct Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-04-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cerveza Aguila Alström Bros
3.13/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I have to give my peeps at The Friendly Greek Bottle Shop big ups, madd props and much love, yo! I do not know how they happened to begin carrying this beer, but when I asked them to break a sixer so that I could buy a single, they readily did so. I love just browsing in there and I have yet to leave empty handed.

From the bottle [translated]: "The Beer of Columbia"; "Famous Since 1913".

Let's face it, a 330-ml. bottle of 4% beer is not going to be very harmful to my health, as the rest of the label warned. It featured one of the tightest screw-top caps that I have encountered in a while, so it took me a combination of levering almost to a Pop! before I could get it to twist. Wow!

I gave it a really aggro pour since it was not going to overfill the glass and I wound up with two fingers of dense, bone-white head with moderate retention as a result. Color was Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-quality clarity and my chums, Midas, Mammon and Croesus showed up for some gelt. Perhaps I have been away from them for so long that I have lost touch, but the nose did not smell all that bad for an AAL. Yes, there was a touch of corn silage, but it did not seem as pronounced as in many other iterations of the style. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. The taste was pleasant, slightly sweet, definitely a lager, but I was not getting the heavy corn flavor that I often notice from this flawed style. The finish had an odd tobacco/nicotine flavor, like stale cigarette butts were in the bottom of the bottle. Uh oh! No, false alarm, but what an odd, astringent aftertaste. Finish was semi-sweet. I bought this as a novelty and I got my money's worth, but I really wouldn't buy more than a single or two. (1,707 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Picked this up last month at Top Hops in New York, having never had this before nor having an American Adjunct Lager in quite some time. I didn't expect much from this, which made this that much more enjoyable when it turned out not to be a drain pour. There was enough body here to make this enjoyable but underneath it all, this turned out to be true to form stylistically.

Of course, this had a golden appearance with a fluffy head that quickly settled down. Just a small ring of lacing that slid down the side of my pint glass after each sip. Lots of cereal and grain with just a hint of Noble hoppiness and hardly any malt to be found. The mouthfeel was soapy, weak, and a bit astringent. Some type of filler could be detected in the back to go with the sour bitterness that lingered in the aftertaste but thankfully, that didn't last long. The carbonation was present enough to scrub any floral notes away, ensuring that this stayed relatively level when it came to the taste and mouthfeel.

Session beer? Look no further, although I couldn't see anyone having more than one bottle in a sitting. Some potato chip-like body and crispness would have added a lot to this but as it was, this called for one tasting and nothing more. Too dry to enjoy in large amounts, the grain didn't quite measure up and a big glass of water was called for once I polished this off. Not the worst example of this style out there but still a bit lacking when all was said and done. (1,469 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a pale yellow golden color with white head. Cereal grains and sweet malts on the nose; follows onto the palate. Light bodied. Finishes fairly clean. (154 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +12.5%

330 ml bottle, date code of 112314. Best by 11/23/14? who knows?

pours a bright clear yellow color. mild grainy aroma. clean mild malt taste as well. slightly sweet. thin body, high carbonation. drinks easy. (215 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 330mL bottle into a pint glass. It's a not-quite Colombian 86 degrees out, but it's as good a context as I'm going to get in Seattle.

Appearance: light golden hue with a strong effervescence and a finger of frothy white foam. Par for the style.

Smell: slightly malty with a little adjunct character and a small dose of noble hops. That said, it is relatively free of those flaws that typify the style. Not as bad as it could be.

Taste: a little malty, a little bit of a corn character, and a little bit of hops. The hops stand out more than I'm used to in the style, and there's actually a decent bitterness. This beer is rather working for me.

Mouthfeel: light body with a big carbonation and a refreshing fizz. Not really creamy, but that's not likely in the style.

Overall: this is a pretty good adjunct lager. For a Latin American megabrew, you could do a whole lot worse. Plus, it's extra drinkable on a hot day. (934 characters)

2.85/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

330ml bottle poured into pint glass 27/3/14

A clear straw yellow with bubbles ranging from pin pricks to giants, no head or lace after a dump down the middle

S smells faint, sweet grains, a little hay, paper shredding, nothing offensive but not much of anything really

T maybe a little rice cake to go with what I smell, nothing really tastes bad but I struggle to find flavour good or bad

M light, well carbonated and a very clean finish if you can believe it, I mean I've had more after taste from first world tap water

O sometimes I'd prefer no flavour to bad flavour and this might be one of those beers, nothing to complain about but nothing to praise either, its just bland

I thought I got a country tic out of this one but was wrong, I doubt I'll remember my second beer from Columbia much like I didn't remember the first. (837 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -17%

Another lager on the menu.
Pours with a typical clear, golden color, and is topped with a medium white head of short retention. Also, quite bubbly.
There's not much to say about the nose really, since it's pretty weak with only faint grainy hops present.
The taste is similar. Not much there, light and feels watered down. The start is slightly sweet, while the finish does have a minimum amount of bitterness.
Very easy to drink, but not much to the taste really. (465 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I bought a cold can of this from a street vendor in front of the Castillo San Felipe de Barajas in Cartagena for $2. Selling them for that much to Americans has to be a great living for a Columbian, and the vendors are providing an important service. I was happy to support them. There were vendors everywhere we went and they were selling any and every thing.

We did not walk up the Castillo (it is huge) but drinking a quick light beer at 9:00 in the morning standing in front of it on a typically hot day in Columbia was a pleasant experience, even if the beer is a lot like bad American swill (a miller would be a major improvement over this).

The beer has little character, but I would recommend it in the circumstances under which I bought it - it was there, it was cheap, I was on vacation, why not. BTW, I enjoyed drinking it with a new friend who was sharing my cab, Oz, from San Francisco. Cheers, Oz. (913 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -23.2%

Light golden color with a head of short retention.
Not pleasant smell of corn and faint notes of floral hops.
Flavor of corn, malt and floral hops. Hints of butter and vanilla. Mild dry and bitter aftertaste.
Light body with medium carbonation.
Average adjunct lager, a bit more bitter but not really refreshing. It seems they sell more the “Chicas Aguila” than real beer. (376 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

269cl can bought in Cartagena (Colombia) and opened on 1st Feb 2013 while off the coast of Mexico.

Tasted cheap, which it wasn't: I got stung by a young lad in a dark shed for a bottle of water and this can for $10.00, the little shit. I suppose he and his family needed the money more than me though.

To be fair it looked fine: your usual lager/pilsner golden clear and bright body with a fading head of white.

Sadly it then began to fail: seaweed and metallic in the nose and mouth, dry and boring feel to the whole thing. My Colombian box is now ticked. (559 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -5.5%

The colour is straw yellow (5 EBC), the liquid clear. The finger thick airy head sinks down to a white lid.

The smell is very, very light. Some wet paper, some spices (cardamom?).

The taste is very light. Some sweetness, some paper and pulp. Fragile anonymous bitterness in the background. Light, almost non-existing body. Hints of flour and butter in the aftertaste as well as some sour-bitter chemical notes.

The carbonation is strong. Lots of big short-lived bubbles. The liquid is watery.

Well, it is a tropical adjunct lager. Some off-flavours, but I have had much worse ones. (588 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -1.5%

A: The beer is clear yellow in color and has a slight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with delicate lacing covering the surface and a ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are aromas of corn and musty grapes in the nose. The grapes seem to become stronger as the beer warms up.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and also has some notes of chemical flavors and hints of white wine.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The chemical flavors in this beer do not make it very pleasing to drink. (566 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -10.3%

A: Pours a crystal clear pale yellow in color with a light amount of visible carbonation. The beer has a thin (1/8 finger tall) white head that quickly reduces to a patch of very thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer with a very thin ring at the edges of the glass (not quite all the way around the glass). Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of corn adjunct malts and fruity with a slightly chemical smell.

T: There is something off in the taste of this beer, something akin to the chemical flavors that are subtle in non-alcoholic beer but much stronger. I'm not a fan of the taste of this beer. Light amounts of bitterness but it does not linger.

M: Slightly lighter than medium bodied with heavy amounts of carbonation. Very light amounts of dryness in the finish.

O: Not a huge fan of this one, way too much chemical taste and smell for me to enjoy it. (914 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Yellow leaning pale, small white head falls fast to a ring, multiple streams of bubbles. The ring stays with a few skim patches, but no lace.

S: General light lager (macro-ish) nose. Some fruity esters, some grain, perhaps some floral & softly herbal hops. Okay strength. About as expected, not bad but a bit bland.

T: Quite macro like. Grain & adjunct in both flavor and sweetness. But not really all that much of any of anything. And that lets a bit of herbal / hay hops show with mild bittering. Basic lawnmower / quencher taste.

M: Under medium body with over-matched yet softly expansive carbonation. Refreshing & a bit crisp from CO2. Some drying way late in the finish.

D: It is funny that they make a light version of it as this original is already so light itself. They appear to sell bunches of it, so . . . I guess it is proof that the mass appeal lawnmower thing works in Colombia too. (904 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -9.6%

Had this on a trip to Cartagena, Colombia back in November. Review is from notes I took.

A - Pale, straw gold with a small, soap like white head. Left little lacing.

S - Not much to smell, some light corn notes, a little grass.

T - Follows nose, slightly sweet, corn, grainy, thin malt profile. Not too bad, pretty much your standard adjunct.

M - Highly carbonated, easy to drink brew. Didn't leave a bad aftertaste and was quite light.

O - A typical adjunct, slightly above average for the style if anything. (514 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -0.7%

So you are a ticker, and you see a 6er of this on a shelf in Florida. You think "that probably can't be very good, but shit! I can't pass up the opportunity to tick Colombia!" So you grab the 6er, toss it into your cart, and head to the checkout. You grab a glass as everyone else sips right from the bottle. "Why the glass?" they ask. You try to explain ticking. They don't understand.

The body is pretty standard for an adjunct lager. Not expecting much, I was not disappointed, though the thin and soapy-looking bubbles that form this beer's sorry excuse for head are slightly off-putting. Despite that, the carbonation is lively.

Aroma is of corn adjuncts and some coarse grainy notes, along with a touch of grassy hops. Surprising. This must be multi-hop brewed, too. The flavors are similar, and nothing more really comes through, though the sweet corn adjunct comes through more in front of some coarse grains, almost nullifying any hop character altogether.

The feel is thin and prickly due to the overly high carbonation, regardless of style. Happy to tick, but also happy that the beer pong table was set up only 15 feet away to consume the rest of this. (1,167 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance: We got a finger of head that's lasting a while, but it's not lacing, and the body isn't doing it any favors. Not very much carbonation in the body, and it's just a bit too much on the yellow side.

Smell: What smell? The only thing I'm getting is some light corn and touch of skunking, which I didn't expect from a brown bottle.

Taste: A run of the mill adjunct lager. Starts with some sweet corn notes, turns to a bit more barley and a touch of earthy hops and ends with a slight pang of skunk that's just subdued enough to not harm the beer.

Mouthfeel: Lacking in carbonation without question, as it turned watery on me quick. The skunk pang also has a bit of an odd after-effect. Apart from that though, it wasn't too bad.

Drinkability: Glug, glug, glug, hey where's my beer? This stuff went down ridiculously quickly, which I'm fairly sure is the idea. To be fair, I can't really I expected anything but from a beer from Columbia.

Final Thoughts: Well, I can't say I'm surprised as this beer is one of those tropical tourist beers that is designed to rehydrate you during the hot weather. It goes does well enough, and strangely the negative factors seem to conspire to make you want to drink it quicker. Hmm... anyways nothing special, but worthwhile if it was all that was there. (1,301 characters)

2.76/5  rDev +1.8%

A: a very pale straw, completely traslucent, some carb and constant, white head quick dissipation

S: not smell at all, some butter and thats it

T: better taste than smell, some malty and bitter after taste, final is not so long

M: light body, but not like water (265 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +9.2%

Como estas...mi amigos! Salutations from Cartagena, Colombia. Aguila....La Cerveza de Colombia! Since 1913! Si, Si, this is a typical cerveza, much like Corona, Sol, Tecate, Brahma, etc. It is pale yellow, with minimal white head that doesn't lace. Smell....none. Taste...like I said, get yourself a corona, etc. The taste does hang on the pallete and you will begin to taste the yeast, like your chewing on bread. The mouthfeel is fine and since the taste doesnt bother me all that much, I could drink the sh&t out of it. Hey its better than the water down here....there are plenty of hot chicks to look at, stop complaining and start fiestaing! (646 characters)

2.92/5  rDev +7.7%

The aroma and appearance of this lager leave much to be desired. Pale yellow in color, little to no thin, white head. It has some faint grain and bready smells, but nothing truly distinct or amazing.

The texture is crisp and light. It has a rather bitter flavor with a biscuity overtone. Its suprisingly refreshing and goes down quite easy. But again, nothing incredible here. Pretty much a middle of the road lager. Goes pretty well with just about any style of Latin American food. (484 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -43.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very light yellow color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of pungent adjuncts, grain, lager yeast and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out bready with flavors of grain and light lager yeast. Then some mild adjunct and malt sweetness comes in. The hops presence is very faint and there's a distinct lack of balance. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very flavorful, despite being light it does not go down very easily, not too filling, very mild kick, even though this is not a good style there are a lot of other beers in the style I would pick first. (799 characters)

2.78/5  rDev +2.6%

First time I've seen a Columbian beer up these parts so why not give it a try, though, cal me cras but my judgment is pretty much a forgone conclusion.

Pours a clear light honey with a two finger white head. Low retention.

Hints of Green apple and pear mingle with subdued pale malt and grain scents. I detected a scant buttery note. The beer is very effervescent.

Not too much going on in the taste department. Watery grain flavours and pale melt struggle to make an impact on my taste buds. Light hop bitterness provides some excitement. A fairly high carbonation rounds out the drink.

Another bland adjunct lager. Regardless I could see this being quite refreshing on a sweltering Columbian day when you don't want much more then water. (743 characters)

2.97/5  rDev +9.6%

A - Clear straw with barely any head.

S - Nose is typical macro, but with a bit of a grassy and metallic touch.

T - Kinda lemony take on a macro lager. Light overall flavour really brings out the bitterness in the finish. A bit of acid up front as well.

M - Light body and hard carbonation.

D - OK drinker. Nothing really interesting to say about this one. (360 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle: Poured a super light yellow color lager with a tiny bubbly head with not much retention and no lacing. Aroma of light adjunct is quite bland. Taste is incredibly bland with light ginger ale feel and almost no malt. Body is incredibly thin with almost no body and medium carbonation. (290 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -0.4%

Another pale lager finding its way into the LCBO. Pours light yellow with a crown of white. Neutral aroma,a bit of horse, a bit of malt. Initial swallow is malty, middling mouthfeel. Very undrinkable, a little minerally. Uninteresting.Carbonation a bit aggressive. (264 characters)

Cerveza Aguila from Cervecería De Barranquilla