Hunter's Moon - Coal Harbour Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Coal Harbour Brewing Company visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Roggenbier |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: EspressoGuy on 12-22-2012)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
JasonLovesBeer

3.01/5  rDev -5.9%

Drank back in April 2013, but I felt I should add it to the site.

A: Semi-opaque golden orange. Small amount of head.

S: Musty grains and orange fruit.

T: The brett has gone kind of sideways here, producing a dull lactic sourness which isn't actually very pleasant. There are overripe orange fruits and the rye is there (I like that part).

M: (no notes)

O: Very interesting for sure. Not like anything I've had before, and I've had a lot of brett beers. That dull sourness is not for me though. I've only experienced it that way once before and it was in a notoriously poor beer.

01-12-2014 02:47:20 | More by JasonLovesBeer
rodrigueZflyingf0x

3.5/5  rDev +9.4%

02-03-2013 01:01:36 | More by rodrigueZflyingf0x
Cookeeman

4.15/5  rDev +29.7%

Wow, if you were looking for something interesting, you found it! This beer is a thinker, and by that I mean that you don't notice all it's flavours right away, or even in each sip. There are a lot of layers to it, and it took me a while to break them down. The aroma is surprisingly mild, mostly of apricots, with a bit of Brett funkiness, and a hint of something grassy. The colour is a dark orange, slightly hazy, with just a thin ring of foam around the edges. The first layer of flavour is fruit-based; apricot, lemon, pear, orange rind. Prevalent, but not overpowering. I didn't notice any pineapple as promised on the label, but I'll let it slide. Next layer is distinctly wheat: a light sweetness, a little cloying at the end. The rye layer is elusive, I only notice it's inherent spiciness every other sip, but it is still an extra dimension of complexity. Now on the finish I can taste the Saaz hops, a hop flavour of which I've never been a fan. Luckily this is also where the weizen yeast comes into play, so mostly one only tastes a dryness from the hops and a sour earthy twist from the yeast. And from mid-palate to finish, there is an overtone of wild crab-apple, the flavour lent by the Brett yeast. I'll say that on the first sip, this beer just tastes like a sour jumbled mess. It's not until I started noticing some of its' individual flavours that I really started to enjoy it. So don't give up on it after the first couple sips! It was $10, which is more than I usually spend on a beer of this ABV, but I'm glad I did because it was really neat.

01-04-2013 09:21:45 | More by Cookeeman
EspressoGuy

2.15/5  rDev -32.8%

A: deep golden honey with orange hints
S:wet stone, flat, earthy, nuts; no noticeable hops or fruit
T: sour and muddy; not a clean fresh sourness; finish is fast leaving a very flat taste. The label says "notes of apple, apricot, and pineapple" but if so the fruit is over-ripe. This tastes like a cheap homemade beer. No flavour development at all.
M: light to medium bodied; low to medium carbonation.
O: not an appealing beer at all.

12-22-2012 03:10:43 | More by EspressoGuy
Hunter's Moon from Coal Harbour Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.