No. 1 - Bass Brewers Limited

No. 1No. 1

Bass Brewers Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Barleywine |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 04-11-2002)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.53/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

[Cask Conditioned!]

Dark copper/brown color. Practically no head. Strong caramel scent, with a bit of floral hops. Caramel malt flavor dominates, but hops balances enough to keep the brew from being too sweet. Very thick, yet not quite syrup-like fullness to the beer. Worked wonders after a grilled chicken/pasta meal.

I only hope I can get my hands on this again soon!

4.45/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

6oz nip bottle.

There's a small hiss when I removed the cap, it pours a very dark brown, close to black, with no head of foam but there's a foam ring around the glass.

The smell is pretty heavenly; aromas of caramel malt, Port, dark fruits, and booze.

The taste, I think, differs a bit from the smell. The caramel is there but doesn't give a big sweet punch like I thought it would. The Port is also lighter than expected. Even the dark fruitiness is on the light side. That doesn't sound so awesome, does it, but man..adding the light and the light and the light together and the sum total is greater than the parts.

A smooth son of a gun here and I could swear there's some woody notes than I'm getting after the first few sips. Wow!

The body is close to medium with just a wee bit of carbonation left(?) after the years since it was fresh, assuming it had more when it first came out.

This is one of the beers that I've been searching for and now that I've had it, yeah..it's all gone now, I'm happy I finally found it.

No. 1 from Bass Brewers Limited
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.