Bass Pale Ale - Bass Brewers Limited

to view more.
Ratings: 2,433 | Reviews: 1,039
3.24/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

a darker appearance for a pale ale- medium amber

smells sweet, fruity. slightly alcoholic

the taste is the worst attribute. watery and bland. empty ale

mouthfeel is carbonated and not impressionable.

meh

2.75/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Nice English ale but still love my Fullers ESB better

Says it's brewed in Baldwinsville, NY now, but it is supposedly still brewed with the same ingredients in the same way. I would probably tend to trust that claim as you can taste the "hardness" of the water in the flavor profile. Nothing particularly wrong with it, just not something I'll look for from now on.

3.54/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not outstanding by any means but a classic nonetheless

3.21/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Medium auburn (12) with off white foam. A whisper of floral notes. Lite floral flavor and lite mouthfeel. Easy to drink.

4.08/5  rDev +22.2%

I think I remembered this differently or my tastes have changed, but I think several years ago this tasted more dynamic than the 6 pack I just finished from Merrimack, NH. Haven't had it in so long I thought I'd try it out rather than all the crafts I've been drinking. I do understand where the 76 okay score stands with this one as it was just that.

2.73/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Into an English pint glass, pours copper with foamy off-white head with medium retention. Smells and tastes bready, sweet, and a little too estery (reminds me of certain pale or amber lagers well past their expiration dates, or even a Märzen that is overly sweet). Little hops detected beyond the faint bitterness of the aftertaste. Not too thin, not too dry of a finish, and carbonated just enough, this beer can be as thirst-quenching as you need it to be. Overall, though, as taste is the most important aspect to me, and this tasted "off," I was not as pleased with this beer as I hoped and expected to be after hearing its name thrown around so much.

By the way, according to my bottle, it appears this beer has 5.1% alcohol, not the 5.0% given on this site. Not sure if it's a mistake or just a modification to the brew that's been made. My guess is the latter.

3.63/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle. Copper color, thin head with short retention. Sweet caramel malt aroma. Flavor of bread, caramel and vanilla. Slightly sweet with a very mild bitterness. Light to medium body with mild carbonation. It could be a tad less sweet and more complex but, in limited circumstances, it holds its own. An enjoyable pale ale.

3.62/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Look-Pours a clear light brown/Amber. A small patchy head quickly dissipates, little to no lacing throughout. Not the prettiest looking brew.
Smell- at first I detected a slight metallic aroma. However, as the drink warmed, a sweet maltiness with hints of caramel, honey and toffee comes through nicely.
Taste- an interest blend of flavors. There is a toasted malt flavor that is almost overpowered by a dry and bitter hops finish. There is a slightly astringent aftertaste that causes me to downgrade the taste rating slightly. There is also an element of mineral water that is interesting.
Feel- this one goes down easily and smoothly. My favorite attribute.
Overall, I liked this. I think that it is better than what most people here give it credit for. Of course it's not the best, but it is a pleasant session beer.

4.6/5  rDev +37.7%

Always a refreshing, easy drinking beer. Always a classic

4.5/5  rDev +34.7%

I was sad to see this get such low marks. I have enjoyed this beer for quite sometime and it, though I won't buy it all that much, will never leave my rotation. It has a very understated but refined taste that I find very comforting.

4.1/5  rDev +22.8%

The original pale ale before the "revolution"...

4.3/5  rDev +28.7%

I cant believe this beer is rated so low!
It is a clean good example of an english pale ale.
It isnt super hoppy or malty
However...it is perfect with bar food, pizza, mexican...
Plus ... it was taken on many expeditions to the south pole ...nothing like bbq penquin and a bass ale - yummo!

Sam Shackleton

4.3/5  rDev +28.7%

A classic beer that doesn't get it's due.

3.92/5  rDev +17.4%

This is my standard for Pale Ales. Goes down smooth and easy. I am more of an Ale person so am guessing ale lovers enjoy this one more then others based on the other ratings I have read.

2.5/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Good easy drinking middle of the road beer.

2.62/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not to bad, lacking a little on flavor for me.

2.58/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Very bland, not much taste to it. Not unpleasant, but not the sort of beer I could really enjoy.

3.9/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Simple beer. For simple times.

3.56/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle label data: made in USA

Crystal clear, copper-colored body; lots of rapidly rising carbonation, one-finger thick head. Heady caramel and biscuit aroma; mild fruitiness. The taste mimics the aroma with a noticeable sweetness; mild hop bitterness; apple-like fruitiness in the finish. Medium body with a rather dry finish.

A decent pale ale that highlights malt flavors. It's a tad over-sweet yet still enjoyable on the whole.

2.63/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours clear copper small cream head, smells sour with pine malts slight hops, tastes of oats malt yeast and sourness, average mouthfeel. Subpar beer

4.2/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

One of my personal favorites, having a freshly poured draft Bass is a perfect pair to any heavier meals, and is also easy on the palate with hearty notes of bitters and hops
hops.

2.17/5  rDev -35%

Not a fan of bass at all

3.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Nothing wrong with this beer at all. Solid beer

4.7/5  rDev +40.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Strong, rich ale. Nice aftertaste