Bass Pale Ale - Bass Brewers Limited

poor

Bass Brewers Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bass Pale Ale Alström Bros

What can I say, this is my absolute favorite beer. I should not even review this. It is that old friend that I can always depend on. It is easily available at my local pub. I will admit that it is a mass produced beer. However, among the others it stands out as a time tested favorite of generation after generation of brew aficionados.

servo12, May 05, 2011

RheinSchaefer85, Dec 30, 2011

On tap at the Fiesta Henderson.

One finger of off-white foam, into a schooner instead of a pint glass. Very nice copper color, translucent. Goes down very well, with a sweet malty finish.

Dee-licious! I can drink this till I collapse. I like to drink it from the bottle, but from the tap it's arguably the best brew pound-for-pound on the planet.

**UPDATE

Ever since the Bass destined for US consumption has been brewed in upstate New York, the Beer Advocate ratings have slumped. This is a case of "haters gonna hate." Bass Ale is still the best g-damn beer out there, and the keg of it that I just bought the other days attests to that.

bondjedi, Mar 22, 2011

turff, Sep 16, 2012

Best Pale Ale for every day drinking that I have come across. Not too Hoppy, not too bitter. Not an over powering after taste. Smooth and flavorful. Don't think it is made in England anymore though, I believe I heard Anheuser-Busch brews it now. Wouldn't that make it an American Pale Ale?

jab7, Dec 22, 2012

EvanTJ, Jul 20, 2012

Brucybad, Jul 31, 2014

JohnCalvin, May 18, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +43.3%

I can't go wrong with Bass in a bottle but I prefer it on tap. I know a few good pubs that serve it very well and others that can ruin the whole experience for me. Who wants to drink flat beer? I love it and I tell others who don't like it at first taste that it may take a few samplings for the taste buds to get used to all that flavor and hoppiness.
Although its dark I still insist on drinking it during the hottest days of the summer. Its refreshing as iced tea. Theres a sweetness to it from the malt that quenches my thrist but also makes me crave for more.

I always enjoy hearing what people say about Bass ale. Its been a long time favorite of mine and every steak dinner I have is always with a Bass ale.

sfsean28, Dec 22, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +43.3%

Caseycease, Sep 01, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +41.8%

BanrionMAB, Nov 07, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +41.8%

Dapperticus, Jun 09, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +40.3%

I don't know what happened tonight but I feel like I have rediscovered this beer. It poured a nice brown amberish color, and tasted pretty damn good. I have recently quit smoking and seemed to have gained a new taste for beer, I would definately have to say this is now one of my favorite pale ales.

skeetermoses, Nov 04, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +39.7%

This is by far one of the better beers I've had in my time. It pours out with a nice healthy head and a rich glow. The smell is not perfect but definitely intruiging, and the taste - it goes down extremely easy, begging you to take another sip. The mouthfeel is pure - it tastes good and can't steer you wrong. I'd recommend this beer to anyone and always keep it stocked in the fridge.

rell, Aug 27, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +39.7%

Ok, so it's my favorite beer. I've had some of the world's best, but Bass' flavor is second to none. The only complaint I have is that it is a little too watered down. If it was a little stronger, it would be too good to be true. Perfect color. Perfect "roasted" flavor, even if you have to concentrate on it. They say it's not the same beer Napoleon cherished, but so what, I love it to death.

86MonteSS, Apr 20, 2003
4.6/5  rDev +37.3%

Pretty good Pale Ale. This beer looks very refreshing. It has lots of fruity notes in the smell just not what I was hoping for kinda of musty not sure if they mean for it to be that way but doesn't throw it off any! It is a great tasting beer leaving lots of sweet fruit notes as the finish, light mouthfeel almost not noticeable overall a good beer drink up!

kdawg105, Dec 03, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +37.3%

Let me preface by saying that Bass is one of my all time favorites, always a go to when I see it in the pint bottles. And that is the the point, for some reason the smaller 12oz bottles do not taste quite as good as the pint bottles, more like the pub I suppose. Anyway in my opinion a very, very good beer for almost any occasion, I am a fan of Ale style beers though, so perhaps I am a bit biased.
A-Pourned clean with appropriate amount of head.
S-Standard ale smell, really when you think about it this is probably the template for ale.
T- Amazing, one of my favorites, really standard ale taste. Yes I know there are better ones out there, but I always enjoy this one!
M- Normal for an ale
D- I usually drink these whist hanging out with all my mates at the pub, so I believe that explains the amount a person can drink of these.

Jordan1985rec, Apr 25, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +35.2%

It pours a clear reddish amber with a decent tan head that dissipates quickly. You want your imperial pint glass filled to the brim with nothing but the good stuff, and that's how this beer is designed. The aroma is mostly the sweet malt.

It's a balanced beer, though. Plenty of flavor, but nothing dramatically interesting. Those sweet caramel malts register first, then the hops give it just a touch of a bitter ending, barely worth mentioning. The flavor coats your mouth for awhile. You don't forget what you've drank after the swallow. It's light or barely medium bodied, but the taste sticks around.

SSJPhatMatt, Feb 13, 2011