Bass Pale Ale - Bass Brewers Limited

poor

Bass Brewers Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bass Pale Ale Alström Bros

TheAdamConners, Aug 03, 2012

Lang44, Jan 16, 2012

I thought this beer was all about the water at bruten on trent and the old fermenters???? what the hell happened? I know alot of contract brews are out there, but when I pay for a world class brew, I'd like to have just that; not a fake! I use to be able to get Fuller's and Belhaven, I guess thouse days are gone and now Sam Adams is making "light " beer; Good God what is the world coming to???

Bushrod, Dec 13, 2011

Poured into a tumbler on 03.28.14.

A: See through light copper. No head or lacing with an aggressive pour. Can see bubbles rising from the bottom.

S: Flower, grape, cherry. It has a candy-like artificial smell to it.

T: Burnt malt, chemicals. Slightly grape. Bitter plastic.

O: This was an unbalanced mess. The chemical candy flavor could have at least been balanced with the burnt malt, but it was not. The aroma was terrible and it continued to be terrible on the first sip. Drain pour. It had a flimsy bottle typical of AB-InBev. Oh gee, look who owns Bass Brewery!

Rating: F

IPAbastard760, Jun 07, 2014

Miz77, Jun 11, 2012

ericdailey, Nov 20, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -62.7%

Crystal clear amber brew forms a rocky white head sitting on top medium-sized bubbles. Head quickly thins, but forms a meringue peak which lingers until 1/4 way through the glass. Moderately-high carbonation, forming spirals of bubbles at a hypnotic rate. Aroma is of canned philadelphia mushrooms, toffee, almonds, sweet dog food, and margarine in that order. (Honestly!) What a perplexing smell. Flavor is of sweet malt with no apparent graininess, which fades to a strong metallic tinge, and ends in fizzy dirty dishwater that had caramel candies sitting in it. The fusel alcohols become more dominate in the start of the beer with progressive sips and really becomes unbearable by the end. This beer is intriguing for a few seconds, and looks pretty, but is absolutely horrible. Just a few sips gave me a nasty temporal headache, and I poured 1/2 of it down the sink. I never want to drink this beer again.

Mitchster, Jan 10, 2003
1.4/5  rDev -58.2%

I don't know if my tastes have changed, if I got a bad batch, or if Bass has gone way downhill, but this particular example was horrible. Actually, my tastes have changed quite a bit, but I wouldn't have liked this even back before I discovered the wonderful wide world of quality brew...

Poured directly from a 25 oz. can into a large wine goblet. Not much carbonation, average head, nice amber color which happens to be the high point of this beer.

Taste was best at the beginning, but throughout there was a huge presence of fruit past its prime, old bread, and near the end, total macroswill flavors dominated with an awful background of metal... I was tempted to just toss it out midway through but I hate wasting any sort of beer so I chugged the last 3rd, grimaced, and vowed never to have this beer again.

From my best memories, this beer was decent on tap and as part of a black and tan, but in this tasting, YECH.

I think something has happened to this brewery to be honest. Have seen posts in the forums before discussing the downward spiral...

johnbonham1980, Feb 20, 2007
1.4/5  rDev -58.2%

never again! This poured a clear amber color with a good rocky cratery head that sticks around for a little white. Decent lacing. Aroma is sweet like candy. Taste is where this goes bad. Is is metallic sweet malt weirdness. No good beer flavors in here. It is a EPA with no flavor, just harsh ass. I mean you can tell what it is, it just sucks. I wouldn't mind tasting what this used to taste like. Had it on tap once and it wasn't this bad. This tastes dirty and by the end of the glass you wish you might need water to clense your ass oiled palate. It does look pretty though!

revisited 2 days later...
WTF? Tastes worse this time.I can't believe this is bass. Because it tastes like pure ass.

kbnooshay, Jan 10, 2006

Travcofarms, Jan 18, 2013

mpolewan, Feb 25, 2014

Pillowburn, Feb 11, 2012

Jinxxor, Jan 20, 2012
1.55/5  rDev -53.7%

Bass should just drop the "B" and then the name would describe the beer perfectly. upon pouring this beer, it looks ok. the smell is not terrible, but you are somewhat forewarned of the awful experience you are about to have. this is one of the worst beers i have ever had.

the beer itself is not terrible, but there is just a horrible aftertaste. it is however, much better out of the 220z bottle.

ElGuapo, Jun 26, 2002
1.6/5  rDev -52.2%

This is the stuff brewed in Baldwinsville, NY.

I'm fairly convinced that I somehow managed to buy a skunked/spoiled 12 pack. I don't usually use that excuse, but I'll elaborate below. The outside of the 12 pack, and the long neck labels, have the date "11291" on them, and today is December 7, 2011. If that is the production date they should still be fine, but if that is the expiration date they are months past it.

A: Light golden copper color. Obscenely clear. You could do your taxes while looking through a glass of this stuff. Aquafina is less filtered. A very hard pour resulted in a moderate head of fine bubbles that lasted for about 15 seconds and leaves no lacing. The bubbles racing up the glass are champagne like, as is the head. Not a good sign.

S: Cooked vegetables. Vanilla pudding. Cherries. Lots of alcohol in the nose for a 5% ABV beer.

T: Ugh. Stale tasting. Very reminiscent of Budweiser. Not really much there. Some sweetness, that's about it. Once again too much alcohol taste/feel for 5% ABV. Leaves a slightly bitter and oily coating on the back of your tongue after you swallow.

M: Extremely carbonated. Carbonation is champagne like and burns your tongue as you drink it. Watery.

O: I so seldom buy spoiled beer (it's been years) that it is hard for me to call any beer spoiled. I just don't think this 12 pack of Bass Ale is right. If I ever have it again in the future I'll be sure to re-review it. For now, I have 10 more bottles of this stuff to choke down.

troobie, Dec 08, 2011
1.73/5  rDev -48.4%

Waiting in the Seattle airport, and this was one of the "better" offerings at a restaurant there. Came out a deep gold with a small white head on top. Decent lacing rings around the glass edge. Not bad looking, but it's downhill from here...

Smells of malts and breads, pretty sweet smelling. Not too bad. Mouthfeel is extremely watered-down and slick. No crisp bite, no sharp carbonation, nothing. Flavor was like if someone soaked a biscuit in water for 2 days, pureed it, strained it, and drank the dessicant. This was one of the most watered-down, flavorless beers I've ever had. My wife even said this was really weak, and she doesn't know beers that well. Very disappointing. I'll possibly try to get my hands on a bottle and give that a try to compare, but I'm not that excited about it. Avoid.

Onenote81, May 09, 2009