Bass Pale Ale - Bass Brewers Limited

Bass Brewers Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bass Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,028 | Hads: 2,522
4.38/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I broke out some tasting notes from my trips to London and will post the reviews of those beers spaced over the next few days or so. Bass from the cask is where it's at! The bottled version we get here pales in comparison. Nice inviting copper color with nice head. My British pint glass was sheeted with lace. Cask conditioned smoothess, and drinkability are it's trademarks. Man I miss London!

3.98/5  rDev +17.1%

Bass itself while quite palatable on its own, is best consumed in unison w/ Guinness. Pours a brownish-orange color. Slight cirtus hop nose. On the palate light citrus hop, and caramel tones also. Very refreshing, I really like Bass a good fall back beer.

3.72/5  rDev +9.4%

I've had this beer before and I can't figure out why I haven't rated it. Anyway, in the past (in the bottles) it's been pretty bland. Not really malty enough to be a good pale ale like Samuel Smiths' and not enough good hop character to be a good IPA. This time I had it on tap and I could have sworn I caught some mild but definite estery flavors going on. It was much better this time around.

3.93/5  rDev +15.6%

When in an establishment with only the obvious choices of mass produced beer, this is always my old stand by. Not one of the best brews in the world but certainly a very good beer. It goes down very easy and can be had with any type food....my personal fav for kegs and eggs. So if you are in a restaurant and don't have many choices and they have Bass then by all means go for it....................CHEERS

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Classic pale. Must give it some credit.
Pours a solid amber. thinnish head, retains for a little while.

Floral, and faintly spicy hop nose. Not much else.

Nice british taste profile. A step away from the cascade dominated APA scene. Hops are flowery and leafy. Some metallic flavor too (probably from the water and the hops). Malt is pushed to the background. If it was amped up, I think I would turn to this more often.

No real problems in the mouth...but too light for my preferance.
Easy drinking though

3.92/5  rDev +15.3%

First time I've had this on it's own for years - usually it's part of a B&T. Still a good taste, hoppy & bitter, but not to the level that I've come to require in a pale ale. Hops, more hops!

4.1/5  rDev +20.6%

Picked up a 6 pack on sale for $4.99. I don't know that I would be whatever the full price is, but it was just about right at the price. It's a pretty good easy drinker ... although not easy enough for my neighbor who didn't seem to take to it. I found everything to be sort of muted in this brew compared to the finer versions. The hops were mellow, the citrus notes were pretty easy-going. The head topping the dark gold brew had a lot of staying power providing nice lace all the way down the glass. The finish was pretty dry but with a bit of a lemon-y zing.

4.1/5  rDev +20.6%

Medium to full body with balance of medium bitterness. An unusual palate almost like a blend of banana, citrus, toasty grain, hoppy flavors. Nice hoppy finish.

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Nice appearance. Full thick head. Pleasant floral aroma. Creamy taste, with a malt sweetness. Somewhat chewey but flat tasting. Goes good with a Guiness to make a Black and Tan.

Amber body, big fluffy white head. Tiny bubbles rising. Good malty nose. Excellent balance of malt and hops in taste and aftertaste. Mouthfeel has nice full, rounded sensation. The classic English Pale Ale retains far more of its character than its American and German lager cousins even at macro production levels. Often available at pubs and restaurants with limited beer lists, its a good beer to have around for both advocates and the budmillercoors crowd.

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Top of the line at many chain restaurants and definitely better than most American macro offerings. DO NOT allow them to serve it in a frosted mug as you will be drinking what amounts to amber hop water. Bass Ale will be a much better beer if the malt end is allowed to show at proper serving temp. Also benefits from a cap of Guinness.

3.95/5  rDev +16.2%

This is a good fallback beer that can be found in many decent bars and restaurants. We used to order a keg of Bass at almost every party we had at ASU and were never disappointed. It's a nice amber color with a head that fades quickly. Toffe/caramel flavors are noticeable but it's not overly sweet.

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%

First off, I have to admit I had long ago dismissed this beer as yet another macro with a British accent. When a friend handed me a bottle this weekend, though, I was reminded that this really is not a bad beer at all. Typical pale-ale amber color with a billowy white head. Slightly herbal hop aroma, a bit tangy, with a barely-perceptible malty sweetness. Starts with a tangy, almost metallic taste that gives way to a barely noticeable sweetness. Finish is pleasantly bitter. Overall, more balanced than I recall, and not a bad example of the style.

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A staple and or conversion beer for lots of people. Amber color wih a rich head. Sweet nose. Hoppy bitter taste with a slight sourness. I would like a little more on the malt side to increase the body. Great lace on the glass.

3.88/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thick, persistent, billowy off - white head. Amber and very clear in color; there's no haze whatsoever. It's very appealing in appearance. Fruity yeast esters in aroma, but the perfumey and grassy (perhaps Challenger?) hop nose provide for a complex, yet clean aroma profile. Mild diacetyl butterscotch becomes noticeable as the hop oils dissipate. The carbonation is perfect and results in a very smooth mouthfeel. The body is fairly light, but there are enough malt and hop flavors to make this quite a tasty British pale. This brew is well balanced-- the crystal malt sweetness and residual sugars are well balanced by the moderate hop bitterness. Bass finishes with slight biscuit malt flavors and a touch of sweetness. This pale ale is very clean and enjoyable all around. It's more estery and fruity (and much less assertive hopwise) than the typical American pale, and is a fine example of an English pale ale. Highly quaffable.

3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

This is the first time that I've had Bass in several years. I seem to remember it as being more complex and enjoyable. The beer is very carbonated, slightly bitter, has virtually no sweetness, and no real aftertaste. Pours to form a small white head that quickly dissipates. Inoffensive and common.

3.57/5  rDev +5%

OK...I am altering my entire review based on this one bottle. I used to hate this stuff more than anything, and even after I had some more advanced taste buds, I still couldnt handle the aftertaste of Bass. However, this one isn't terrible. It's drinkable. I am almost embarrassed that I am drinking this after all the Bass-bashing I have done over the years. But I do this to myself every now and then, I get a bottle of Bass to see if I can handle it. This is the first time I can. I dont really feel like commenting much on the beer, as this is a very awkward moment for me. Its appearance is nice, always has been. Citrusy hoppy aroma. Somewhat metallic aftertaste still, but tolerable. This is very awkward. I dont know if I will be able to sleep tonight.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Bass Pale Ale, like Sammy Boston Lager, is a great fall-back bier, especially when AB, Coors, etc are the alternatives. Light copper color, with a small head; leaves a bit of lacing down the glass. Nose was mildly hoppy, with a hint of malt. Mouthfeel/body were medium...middle of the road. Starts out with a touch of malty sweetness....ends with a bitter hoppiness... A good choice when swill is the only other option...

overall: 3.5
appearance: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | mouthfeel: 3.5 | drinkability: 3.5

4.2/5  rDev +23.5%

I think a bottle of bass, is an old reliable beer. I will always order it at retaurant or pub where the only other choices are buds, millers, coors, etc. Nice inviting brown color, head quickly disappears but always tastes great. Compliments many meals, and I find it always refreshing. I try to keep some always in my supply at home, but last night drank my last one. Always will be a winner to me.

4.07/5  rDev +19.7%

dark amber in color, a moderate head that quickly subsides to almost nothing. smell is of sweet malts...sort of candy like...perhaps butterscotch? medium body with the sweet malts dominating the soft hops. anybody that slams this ale is stupid. there is a reason why Bass is perfect in black and tans with Guiness or any other dry stout. i can detect the uniqueness of the water used, which imparts a delightful dance on palate along with the hops. this is a difficult ale to review...there is a lot going on here. there must be some reason why Bass is a world renowned english ale. a classic.

I am a big fan of Bass Ale. This was one of the beers that introduced me to the world of brew outside of U.S. macros. It was my breakout brew. This beer pours to a nice light amber color, has a slight metallic (in a good way) taste, and has a nice hop presence on the finish. A quality fall-back beer for me. Many times, this is the best beer available in the bar.

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

Medium amber color, medium sized head. Crisp, light smell only of hops; the taste is mostly the same, you feel it on the back of your throat and sides of your tongue, with a little nuttiness going on. Could use some more character, but very drinkable.

3.98/5  rDev +17.1%

Of the widely distributed, world wide beers, this is one of the best. Deep reddish-amber color, slightly creamy mouthfeel. Has a slight fruity character, but not overly so which balances nicely with the malt and hops. I slight toasty flavor (toasted grains/malt) is also prevalent but has a small say. The hops are there, but not overpowering by any means (which appeals to me). All flavors seem to be in perfect balance with one another. This beer is complex, not as complex as many, but has more then enough complexity to keep you taste buds interested. A great drinking beer, tough to have just one, and one of my standbys.

3.23/5  rDev -5%

On occasion, I will have a Bass if nothing else is available or I am just not going to have a Sam Adams Lager. I find Bass a very drinkable mass-produced beer. Always has a nice color with faint bitterness and a moderate malty grain flavor. It is very average compared to most good beers, but I find it acceptable, espcially if it is not my main focus of the evening.

3.9/5  rDev +14.7%

Better on tap, but a solid choice. This beer isn't going to overwhelm you with any one quality, but you buy it because you know what you are getting.

Bass Pale Ale from Bass Brewers Limited