Bass Pale Ale - Bass Brewers Limited

poor

Bass Brewers Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-17-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bass Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev -2.7%

Had a few of these on tap this past weekend at Dillon's on Boylston Street. Poured into imperial sized pint glasses. Huge dark red color, no real head, only slight carbonation. Smell was of subdued hops. I enjoy drinking Bass, as I think it's a quality beer with a good flavor. My only two faults with it is a weird, almost thick, aftertaste I get in my mouth afterwards. And second, it's a bit on the heavy side for a somewhat hoppy beer. It's a good beer to grab when the selection sucks, but it's not one that I go after regularly.

3.83/5  rDev +14.7%

on tap at winking lizard in mentor, ohio

A Golden brown, minimal head

S some hops, mild, pleasing

T acidic, hoppy, pleasing, active and interesting

M full bodied

D really quite good.

Notes...I do not recall having Bass before this session and I was pleasantly surprised. Bass is not an advenurous beer but that is its strength. It is a very good staple beer that I think would go very well with a wide range of food. I will certainly not hesitate to get this again.

3.18/5  rDev -4.8%

A nice deep red colour with a thin head that dissipates slowly.

Not much in the aroma, some sweetness, sort of hoppy, meh nothing great.

Not impressed much by the taste either, sort of watery, sweet some caramel maybe - candy apple? Finishes somewhat bitter.

Okay beer but I would never have it again, nothing special.

3.85/5  rDev +15.3%

poured from the bottle into a pint glass

A- pours a nice copper reddish color with about a two finger head. Decent head retention and very nice lacing down the entire glass

S - smells a little malty with a hint of apple cider. Not a whole lot of smell here.

T - A bit of alcohol and apples on the nose followed by a malt dominated body with a hint of hops. The finish is this wonderful taste of apple cider and is the best part of this beer. The hops show their presents as the beer roles over the back of the tongue resulting in a sort of bitter sweet after taste. I wish there were a tad more hop presence in the body and a little less in the aftertaste.

M - good medium carbonation level and a nice medium mouth feel.

D - this is my first english pale ale is is a lot less bitter than many other pale ales. This makes it very drinkable and I love the apple cider finish. I like this beer a lot, but i'm not sure if I can justify spending $8.00 a six on it when there are so many other amazing beers out there in this price range. Maybe when a 12-pack is on sale...

Disappointed...

Pours copper with some lacing. Smells of hops and malt, not much else. Watery taste with a little finishing bitterness. Lighter mouthfeel than anticipated. Watery taste = drinkable, but not necessarily enjoyble.

Overall not horrible, but definitly not worth the money.

3.8/5  rDev +13.8%

Appearance - dark orange, some head.

Smell - Sweet and malty.

Taste - Very smooth. For a pale ale it is crisp and light bodied.

Mouthfeel - Again, smooth. Sweet, slightly hopped.

Drinkability - Excellent

i would love to try this on tap.

2.9/5  rDev -13.2%

Had this one on tap at a local Buffalo Wings and Rings in Fairfield, Ohio as it was the finest draught beer available. My wife went to the Red's game on a "Girl's night out", so I took my children out to a local sports bar to watch the game and look for mom on TV - no luck though - she was in the nose-bleeder section!

A: Poured too cold into a freshly washed (and never dried) pint glass. I allowed it to sit for a few minutes while my hands warmed it. There was absolutely no head seen through the duration of the drink (Was it a bad pour, did the water in the glass before the pour kill the head or was it an old keg? We'll never know). Poured the slightest bit hazy light brownish/amber.

S: Not a whole lot on the nose except for light grains, sweet malts and nuts.

Taste: Light, refreshing malts, possible hazelnut and caramel. Slight hop presence, but I was unable to determine which varietal.

M: Light to medium bodied, creamy, very little to no bitterness. Medium to high carbonation levels in the mouth make it very drinkable.

D: Nice, balanced, refreshing and easy to drink beer for most. A session beer for certain, I can see why it made it's way over here from Europe. Like mentioned in the heading of this review, if it's the restaurant's "finest" draught beer - and NOT Guinness, I'll reach for it again and again (And do whatever I can do to avoid the "usual suspects").

3.9/5  rDev +16.8%

Decent head, and quite a bit of lacing. Definitely less hops than other pale ales, and more malt. Aroma was weak until I got to the bottom of the glass, when it got stronger, and very pleasant. Reminded me of caramels. Good smooth mouthfeel; not watery, with a nice tingle. Definitely a solid, but not spectacular beer, with real good flavor unless you're just drinking a pale ale for the hops.

3.4/5  rDev +1.8%

12 oz bottle in pint glass

pours very light with two fingers of foamy head develpoing. it is a nice golden cider color. smells creamy.

very mellow on flavors. some light hops in there, a berry like sweetness. it is creamy and very fizzy. light and drinkable.

2.55/5  rDev -23.7%

I poured this into a pint glass. There was a slight head which did not hold. Beer was a golden/orange with some light carbonation.

The smell first was a little skunky. Don't know why. But after it warmed a little, the smell mellowed out and I caught a hint of the hops.

The taste left me wanting. It seemed bland and the bitterness from the hops did not stand out to me. There was a little hint of the malts at the end. The finish wasn't rough, but it wasn't smooth either.

Bass really didn't stand out to me at all. I was kind of disappointed in it.

3.2/5  rDev -4.2%

This is one of the most beautifully colored beers I have ever seen, a clear copper-orange. Looks amazing as a black and tan. If I had first tried this about a month ago, I would have really loved it and given it a high flavor rating. However, I have since moved to the dark side and am a self-proclaimed hop head, and this brew is too malty for me. Does have a very clean aftertaste with hops to do the cleansing. Easy to drink with a mellow, sweet, malty flavor. Still can't get over the color

2.78/5  rDev -16.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: The beer had a clear reddish tint to it, with a light white fizzy head to it and dissipated quickly.

S: Nothing groundbreaking here, maybe a slight malt aroma to it. There was not much to the nose at all.

T: Now this is a beer that I have not had in a long time, I would easily say 4-5 years if not more and I remember the taste being a lot stronger, more robust. I guess that was probably before I really started to drink anything other than Budweiser. The taste was decent, although I found it a little watered down, but it had a nice light hoppy flavor to it and the malt kicks in at the end. It seemed to have a little bitter finish to it.

M/D: Overall, the beer left me wanting a little more from it. I was not overly impressed like I had been when I first tried Bass, but it was smooth and fairly pleasant to drink. This beer would not be my choice when at an establishment with a better selection, but it is a beer that I am sure that I will find myself ordering again.

3.58/5  rDev +7.2%

I just got back from a four day cruise where the selection was sorely lacking--this was one of the few quality premium beers served on the ship, so I partook a few times.

The color is a moderately bright red amber with a significant creamy/foamy head. The first aroma is subtle spicy/earthy/hop combo that's borderline musty. The taste starts off with bright caramel sweetness and then finishes with a more bitter hopiness that lacks a little character. A subtle maltiness rounds it out the whole way through. Its got a creamy mouthfeel with light carbonation. Moderately heavy.

What we've got is a pretty full-flavored ale that has flaws small enough to overlook. It seems Bass Ale is a pretty common premium beer to be found in a bar without many craft beers, so its a good go to beer when your choices are limited to macrolagers and crappy imports. Its no chore to drink Bass Pale Ale.

3.65/5  rDev +9.3%

Let me start out by saying that this is one of those beers that must be experienced on tap to gain a true appreciation for it, like Guinness.

Bottled beer smells of roasted malts, and a faint whiff of hops. It pours an amber-brown color. It tastes of slightly sweet caramel malt, slight fruitedness in the middle, and finishes slightly hop bitter with nice rough carbonation. I usually like my beer ice cold, but I find the flavour (to borrow form the Brits) of this one to be better near the end of the bottle when it gets a bit warmer, strange..I know.

2.4/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A light brown color with a thin beige head. The nose is of dusty old malt and straw. The taste has some very mild malts and not much of a hop presence. The body is medium and would be nice if not for the fizzy carbonation. Nothing special, just a mild ale from jolly old England.

3.53/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance - Red amber, clear with a small filmy head. Just a bit of lacing.

Smell - A bit of carmel and dryness. Not much else.

Taste - A little unexciting...just a very mild, smooth, and balanced ale. Dry finish with very little aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Moderate to low carbonation, very smooth.

Drinkability - With an average/ low ABV, and the watery smoothness, this is an extremely drinkable ale.

2.95/5  rDev -11.7%

I've seen Bass on the shelf for a while .. finally got a single. I tried to figure out when it was bottled, the only clue I could find was L7351 on the back,

The appearance is niiiice - dark copper, a streaming flow of bubbles, some lacing, nice head that didn't last too long, but leaves a nice cap of foam on top.

I could barely smell some hops ... kind of a mineral aroma, and buttered popcorn.

The taste was overly fruity and more of that butter taste. There is some hop bitterness at the end, but it does not linger around.

The carbonation & mouthfeel is spot on here, but the sweetness and diacetyl is getting to me.

3.65/5  rDev +9.3%

On-tap at the City Grille in Denver. One of my favorite imports from the bad old days of beer in America.

A: Brilliant amber hue with nice clarity. Carbonation bubbles are a little large. Small white head disappears quickly and leaves only a little lace.

S: Quite fruity and floral. Lemon and apple with some caramel notes.

T: Caramel and toffee sweetness from the malt is balanced with a moderate lemon and apple bitterness. Not super complex, but still nice.

M: Medium body with the right level of fizz.

D: Super drinkable. A great session beer.

Poured a amber with some orange to it in color with a thin head. The head disappeared rather quickly leaving spots on the surface. The aroma is slightly dull as some malt and fruitiness is detected. The taste is of malt and bitterness which is balanced. Some fruit tones are detectable. The bitterness seems to arrive a little stronger on the tongue after swallowing. Not as flavorful as some other pales, but very drinkable. Much better on tap than in bottle by far.

3.13/5  rDev -6.3%

Bass is bass. I actually like this beer when I am in certain moods. Or if a pub or bar happens to have the Guinness on tap as well as the bass, then I can go for a Black and tan. For English beers there is better, but this is just my opinion. I do think Bass tastes better on tap then in the bottle, some stores tend to keep bass on the shelves too long and gets a bit funky to my taste.

3.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from bottle -> Wachusett pint glass.

A- Ahh, the Red Triangle, the pride of Britain. Pours into a medium-brown color, not very dark. Low bubble activity. Light lacing on the glass.

S- Rich and sweet fruit. Not overwhelming. Medium maltiness.

T/M- Crisp taste, leaves a raisin or apricot type fume. Not overwhelmingly earthy, and mild in comparison to most other brews from UK. Medium carbonation dances on the tongue.

D- I could drink several of these, but I would find myself bored with it after a few more. Not as exciting or flavorful as other English brews.

3.68/5  rDev +10.2%

12oz. brown bottle into a pint glass.

A: Deep, deep amber almost copper color with an even bigger frothy white head that could be used for a foam party.

S: Lots of malts on the nose with butter undertones.

T/M: A bit milder than I expected, the malts do not come through as strong on the palate. Butter appears up front followed by a quick sample of hops then a dry aftertaste. Mouthfeel is exemplary for the style, medium body with medium carbonation.

D: You can do it, you can do it all night. Great session that I need to order more often.

3.68/5  rDev +10.2%

On-tap at Michael's in Huntington Beach, CA, 34 oz. supermug,

A: Pours a light amber, with a thick white head, good retention, some fair lacing.

S: Light maltiness, but really faint.

T: Big malted toffee on the first sip, lots of sulfur and mineral water notes as well. Hops are quite earthy, with a bit of grass and wet hay, a well balanced brew.

M: Full crisp carbonation, light enough to make it really easy to drink, light-bodied.

D: For being mass produced, it tastes quite good, a pale ale I'd be happy to have any time.

3.8/5  rDev +13.8%

Warm amber with light white head that disappears fast
Floral hops with a tinge of fruits, very light citrus smell
Fruity hops that blend well into a nice malt base with a bitter finish
very smooth, would like more carbonation.
Very drinkable but I do get bored with it after a few at once.
This is a great beer to come back to after you havent had one in a while. Like a relative who visits every once in a while; its nice to see them, but you dont want them to overstay their welcome.

3.53/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours clear, light reddish brown with 1/4" head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lace. Very mild smell of malt with hint of sweet fruity sugar. Nondescript flavor that is light bodied with crisp texture. Overall, this is a decent session beer that is light and easy to drink. No bad flavors, but nothing to get too excited about either.

Bass Pale Ale from Bass Brewers Limited